Kendrick Lamar - ‘The Recipe’ (Produced By Dr. Dre) - [1st Single]

Comments

• GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    ? is normal. Sounds like a average smooth riding track. I still have yet to hear him flexing these great skills some claim he has.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GSonII wrote: »
    ? is normal. Sounds like a average smooth riding track. I still have yet to hear him flexing these great skills some claim he has.

If you have listened to Sec.80 or OD and cant hear great lyrical skill ...then his music just might not be for you brutha

• t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Dizzel3000 wrote: »

If you have listened to Sec.80 or OD and cant hear great lyrical skill ...then his music just might not be for you brutha

exactly... dope track. Verses weren't as good as k dot's normal ? but the production and his flow are crazy.
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just copped on Itunes..song gets better every time i listen to it..
  • The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good weed smoking tune, sadly i dont smoke no more, still good tho.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn...The Doctor surprised me. He flipped his usual signature sound into something else that's very fresh..as most true producers. Kendrick was dope on this.
  • GSonII
    Damn...The Doctor surprised me. He flipped his usual signature sound into something else that's very fresh..as most true producers. Kendrick was dope on this.

He didn't produce this
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

He didn't produce this

Who produced it?
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

He didn't produce this

Who produced it?

Scoop Deville.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    And i'm feeling this track, The Recipe is pretty good.
  • Fuckwithdreday
    Fuckwithdreday Members Posts: 26
    ? is hot, nice springtime riding music thumbs up
  • Fuckwithdreday
    Fuckwithdreday Members Posts: 26
    damn i double posted. this ? is still smooth 6 hours later. I truely hope K.dot gets a real non pushed back album release. by summer would be best......
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    edited April 2012
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skooby2315 wrote: »
    Scoopdeville the same producer who produced hiiipower i think

J Cole produced Hiipower
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    skooby2315 wrote: »
    Scoopdeville the same producer who produced hiiipower i think

J Cole produced Hiipower

ah well i was wrong.
  • thagame
    thagame Members Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    This jawn bangs. He definitely ghostwrote those Dre lyrics. He actually had to slow Dre's flow up a tad. I can hear Andre 3000 on the remix already or Snoop.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited April 2012
    One of da best songs Ive heard dis year so far, if not da best. Like I said in da Kdot vs Big Krit thread, Kdot is gonna be around for awhile. He has the potential to be a star.
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dizzel3000 wrote: »

Basically.......
  • riddlerap
    riddlerap Members Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i hate bringing up the same rapper in every thread..but.. if Kendrick is lyrical.. what is Lloyd Banks? like.. the GOAT lyricist? impossible to argue KL is nicer lyrically than Banks, yet yall dont ? with him for some reason. nothing this guy has said made me wanna re-listen to it just to hear nice lyrics.
  • zigzagroller
    zigzagroller Members Posts: 2
    my favorite song of the year so far
  • GSonII
    riddlerap wrote: »
    i hate bringing up the same rapper in every thread..but.. if Kendrick is lyrical.. what is Lloyd Banks? like.. the GOAT lyricist? impossible to argue KL is nicer lyrically than Banks, yet yall dont ? with him for some reason. nothing this guy has said made me wanna re-listen to it just to hear nice lyrics.

Kendrick is just getting the ? riding treatment. Honestly, this song goes down after Dre stops rapping.
  • okaay
    okaay Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody tell Dre stop ? rapping he always sounds like his ghostwriter at the moment and ? dont believe sit you talking about stop leaching Dre just produce the track and fall the ? back.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a cool drop, but it sounds more like a Droop-E production than a Dre beat.

It's good for a few repeats but in my opinion a lead off single should be more energetic. Getting a push from Dre is a good look for the young bull, all in all can't hate his grind. He keepin it lit for the west.
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    It's a decent track… just not as good as he could have been for a first single, if this is his In Da Club announcement, then it's going to be a quiet one, IMO.

It's very clear why Detox will never drop, Dre can't get a ghostwriter to write a nice verse for someone of his age… your OLD Dre, fall back and stop talking like an 18 year old... His verse is what I'd expect to hear on something from a 14 year old who has dreamt up millions in his head. Jay-Z can rap about money in a way that comes across to the people due to his 'phors. Whether Kendrick wrote this or not, Dr. Dre just spells it out in a very "I'm great yet I can't even make an album" kind of way and that's why I can't even take his verses seriously, it's laughable.

The Watcher was a nice song wrote for him by Jay-Z because it was from the perspective of a veteran and it was still nice… he shouldn't be spelling the word H-A-T-E in a verse in my opinion, school boy stuff and he isn't even flippin' it.

Beat is quite nice… Kendrick is saying nothing over it though… ADHD as a single would blow this out of the water… and I think an ode to Cali should be more…

'They come for the women, weed and weather…'

Sounds nice, but I'd have preferred a more personal effort that told of why he's something different rather than trying to sound like everyone else.

'Lookin' like a boss'

Kendrick sounds like Rick Ross or something… not what I remember from him the past three years, Section. 80 tracks are >>>>> better than this single, IMO.

It's decent, but the track with The Game was a lot better for showcasing Kendrick's talents, Kendrick does nothing for me on this single to showcase his skills as a lyricist.

I prefer Kendrick bringing something new, hopefully he won't turn redundant with his lyrics, he's very talented and nobody listening to this will even get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgfY_9rXlZE
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    It's a decent track… just not as good as he could have been for a first single, if this is his In Da Club announcement, then it's going to be a quiet one, IMO.

It's very clear why Detox will never drop, Dre can't get a ghostwriter to write a nice verse for someone of his age… your OLD Dre, fall back and stop talking like an 18 year old... His verse is what I'd expect to hear on something from a 14 year old who has dreamt up millions in his head. Jay-Z can rap about money in a way that comes across to the people due to his 'phors. Whether Kendrick wrote this or not, Dr. Dre just spells it out in a very "I'm great yet I can't even make an album" kind of way and that's why I can't even take his verses seriously, it's laughable.

The Watcher was a nice song wrote for him by Jay-Z because it was from the perspective of a veteran and it was still nice… he shouldn't be spelling the word H-A-T-E in a verse in my opinion, school boy stuff and he isn't even flippin' it.

Wait, but he was OLD when he dropped 2001. At least by the standards of this board.