• waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    a.mann wrote: »

Scoop Deville produced it.

nah man, this is definitely a Dre banger

the keys and clear bass line are dead give away

Scoop probably made the beat, in hip hop that's not producing

Cats keep forgetting that Dre is not just a beatmaker, but a producer.....much like a conductor

and there's no doubt this track has flawless conducting

Agree before i touched on that subject let me say DR. DRE have the greatest run in producing consecutive hip-hop classics in hip-hop history

1988 - NWA "STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON"
    1988 - EAZY- E "EAZY DUZ IT
    1989 - THE D.O.C. "NO ONE CAN DO IT BETTER"
    1990 - NWA "100 MILEZ AND RUNNIN" EP
    1991 - NWA "NIGGAZ4LIFE" (Dr, Dre's MASTERPIECE)
    1992 - DR. DRE "THE CHRONIC"
    1993 - SNOOP DOGGY DOGG - ?

right there Dre could of stop and still will be known as The Greatest Producer in hip-hop, THAT'S 7 CERTIFIED HIP-HOP CLASSIC ALBUMS that was produced by Dre. And I didnt even throw in DR. DRE "2001" and that's a hip-hop classic = 8 certifeid hip-hop classic albums.

Now Dre dont need to produced whole albums no more, and i know he produced the whole Relapse album but i haven't heard of it because i dont ? with Marshall like that, even though i ? with the MMLP, but i will give it a listen since that was a full Dre produced album since 2001.

But Dre is hip-hop's Quincy Jones meaning that he produces albums, guiding other producers when they make the beats telling them where to put a snare, kick add cymbals, keys and just adding layers to the producers beats, and telling the musicans what to play. The same ? that Quincy Jones do, People think Quincy Jones made the beats on THRILLER and BAD, No he didnt he had musicians make the beats and he guided them, and play by mouth and have them to play what they heard with the instruments from his mouth and he add his touches to it, tell the musicans what he want to hear and he mixes the album and tweak it some more adding more to it, that's the same thing that Dre does now, and what Kanye is doing, being PRODUCERS.

but Dre said he mixed and cleaned up the song meaning That Dre add his touches cleaned the beat up and adding some layers here and there and that's Dre signatures that you hear in scoop devile beats, he just add a few touches to it. Listen how clear and polish THE BEAT is and the little instruments in the background the violins and ? that's DRE, that's why He's the GREATEST
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    no doubt

Dre the GOAT

cats really need to understand when you get to that level why put in work making a mere "beat"
    when you can conduct young and up coming talent and still get all the credit, props, and praise

• BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if Dre aint producing or writing, wtf is he really doing there?
  • choppa_style
    choppa_style Members Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭

Cats keep forgetting that Dre is not just a beatmaker, but a producer.....much like a conductor

First thing I thought when I heard it. Obviously dude did most of the track cause he got all the credit but this ? wasnt gonna be released without Dre's touch especially with his named involved in it.

I know the difference between a producer and beat maker. The track is officially produced by Scoop Deville. If Dre had any input on the production he would have gotten credit for it.
  • choppa_style
    choppa_style Members Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    @choppastyle, look in the liner notes, I'm not at the laptop to tell you otherwise, but The Watcher was written by Sean Carter aka Jay-Z.

Can you show it? I don't have the liner notes but I'll track to find them.
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    @choppastyle, look in the liner notes, I'm not at the laptop to tell you otherwise, but The Watcher was written by Sean Carter aka Jay-Z.

I actually could, but I just checked the liner-notes and it's not there… fail!

Eminem is on background vocals, but Jay-Z wrote it, although this article does lend its hand towards what you were saying despite Jay-Z having largely taken credit for it over the years:

http://www.complex.com/music/2010/03/detox-duet-the-history-of-dr-dre-jay-z-collaborations

KendrickLamarandDrDreFullSize.jpg
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    okaay wrote: »
    Somebody tell Dre stop ? rapping he always sounds like his ghostwriter at the moment and ? dont believe sit you talking about stop leaching Dre just produce the track and fall the ? back.

It's a cool drop, but it sounds more like a Droop-E production than a Dre beat.

No, it sounds like a Scoop Deville beat, because it is.

It's only on the page that has the song and has been stated in this thread multiple times.

The Watcher was a nice song wrote for him by Jay-Z because it was from the perspective of a veteran and it was still nice… he shouldn't be spelling the word H-A-T-E in a verse in my opinion, school boy stuff and he isn't even flippin' it.

Marshall Mathers wrote "The Watcher."

Eminem is on background vocals, but Jay-Z wrote it, although this article does lend its hand towards what you were saying despite Jay-Z having largely taken credit for it over the years:

http://www.complex.com/music/2010/03/detox-duet-the-history-of-dr-dre-jay-z-collaborations

When I moved I lost over 200 physical albums. The Chronic 2001 was one of them. I know Jay-Z wrote Dre's verse for "The Watcher 2" on BP2. I do not remember if he wrote the one on "Chronic 2001"
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool song. nothing more nothing less
  • RuffDraft
    Somebody tell Dre stop ? rapping he always sounds like his ghostwriter at the moment and ? dont believe sit you talking about stop leaching Dre just produce the track and fall the ? back.

It's only on the page that has the song and has been stated in this thread multiple times.

The Watcher was a nice song wrote for him by Jay-Z because it was from the perspective of a veteran and it was still nice… he shouldn't be spelling the word H-A-T-E in a verse in my opinion, school boy stuff and he isn't even flippin' it.

When I moved I lost over 200 physical albums. The Chronic 2001 was one of them. I know Jay-Z wrote Dre's verse for "The Watcher 2" on BP2. I do not remember if he wrote the one on "Chronic 2001"

The link I posted explains that he did… here's the extract:

Complex Says: "The Watcher," another 2001 song about haters trying to test an OG, also owes a lot to Jay-Z's pen. Eminem and Rakim are also rumored to have worked on the lyrics, so it's hard to say exactly how much work Hov put in. Regardless, this is classic D.R.E.

I remember reading about it in other articles around the time of the release of 2001 though too… so I can confidently say that Jay-Z was the main writer of The Watcher. I think this is why he did a part 2 for it as well.
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GeE-757 wrote: »
    antarticp wrote: »
    as sick as kendrick is lyrically you know hes bound to have a track with eminem ? with dre if not this album ... def by the next album .... if u ask me kendrick is the black eminem if u get what im saying .... eminem whole thing was being broke white trash from the trailor park ........ kendricks whole this is being broke black brother growing up on section 8 ... same ish different side of the tracks .... and lyrically they both go ham slammming tons of words in a bar ..... switching up thier vocal tons and cadence ... useing crazy words metaphores etc..............

well if kendrick got a trak wit da cracka he betta pull a jeezy & make sure that ? dont make da album or im coppin da BOOTLEG ? EUROMATH!

lol i can dig it lol ;)
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sid note def a nice smooth track .. by why feature dre if he aint produce the track LOL !!!!! ;)
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    antarticp wrote: »
    sid note def a nice smooth track .. by why feature dre if he aint produce the track LOL !!!!! ;)

To create that buzz, to get people to listen to him that don't listen to him
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Complex Says: "The Watcher," another 2001 song about haters trying to test an OG, also owes a lot to Jay-Z's pen. Eminem and Rakim are also rumored to have worked on the lyrics, so it's hard to say exactly how much work Hov put in. Regardless, this is classic D.R.E.

I remember reading about it in other articles around the time of the release of 2001 though too… so I can confidently say that Jay-Z was the main writer of The Watcher. I think this is why he did a part 2 for it as well.

The article is wrong I can post a photo of th linear notes Jay z didnt write Watcher that was on The Chronic 2001 was written by Eminem...Watcher 2 on Blueprint 2 was by Jay-z.
  • yeah i rap so don't

I read the link, but Complex doesn't always back everything 100%
    nujerz84 wrote: »

The article is wrong I can post a photo of th linear notes Jay z didnt write Watcher that was on The Chronic 2001 was written by Eminem...Watcher 2 on Blueprint 2 was by Jay-z.

post it, I lost my booklet when I moved and magically my 200 cd case disappeared
  • nujerz84
    edited April 2012

I read the link, but Complex doesn't always back everything 100%

post it, I lost my booklet when I moved and magically my 200 cd case disappeared

20120404142432.jpg

Its a bit blurry but you can clearly see A.Young/WB Music Corp./Ain't Nuthin' Goin' On ButF****n'Music/ASCAP/M.Mathers/Famous Music Publishing/Eight Mile Style/BMI

No S.Carter anywhere for that Song
  • RuffDraft

I already posted to say that this wasn't the case @ liner notes. I said that I'd checked myself earlier lol.

I'm pretty sure that Complex don't have it wrong as well, I've read elsewhere that Jay-Z had a take on The Watcher as well as Still D.R.E (which he does get credit for in the liner notes).
  • nujerz84
    edited April 2012

I already posted to say that this wasn't the case @ liner notes. I said that I'd checked myself earlier lol.

I'm pretty sure that Complex don't have it wrong as well, I've read elsewhere that Jay-Z had a take on The Watcher as well as Still D.R.E (which he does get credit for in the liner notes).

Fact is Jay-z didnt write the Watcher Eminem did...Jay might have written verses but they werent used.

• yeah i rap so don't

He wrote Still D.R.E there is a video of Snoop talking about how DOC did a version Dre said no, and he did and Dre told him it was wack. He said Jay's version came and every line was hitting.
  • RuffDraft
    edited April 2012

Fact is Jay-z didnt write the Watcher Eminem did...Jay might have written verses but they werent used.

Like I said earlier, I'm sure I've read otherwise in the past and it wouldn't be the first time someone wasn't credited with writing a track in the liner notes… do you not think it's strange that both Complex and a number of others have credited Jay-Z with writing some of that track in the past?

Either way, be it Jay-Z or Eminem, my point was that The Watcher was a much more acceptable/believeable perspective from Dr. Dre back in 1999, when as others have stated, he was considered old. The track wasn't stating about being in the hood etc. it was an accepting track of a producer doing good and moving out of the b/s.

Thirteen years on and he's speaking on The Recipe as if he's younger than he was in 1999. I'm just saying, it's unbelievable and borderline silly for a man of his age to be rhyming about this and that when he should really have more substance given his time in the game…

I'm not debating Dr. Dre's legacy, I'm a huge fan from the NWA days to Chronic 2001. But I think him and Kendrick could have brought a nicer single that showcased who Kendrick Lamar is better…

He wrote Still D.R.E there is a video of Snoop talking about how DOC did a version Dre said no, and he did and Dre told him it was wack. He said Jay's version came and every line was hitting.

Damn, either way, I don't think it hurt Snoop's chemistry on 2001, that album still knocks and is a definitive hip hop record. Around a year ago, a club I was at played it from start to finish. Great listen in a different setting, made it all the more clear how great an album it was as everyone's heads continually knocked.
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Gotta bump this thread real quick to say that this joint is my ? been bumpin it heavily since it dropped
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, still a dope song
    One of those Dre joints that can stand the test of time.
    Looking forwords to other Dr Dre/Kendrick Lamar collabo's
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lookin forward to the video for this, should be good..