so preachers can become atheist

Options
r.prince18
r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in R & R (Religion and Race)
[UPDATE] Local Minister Steps Down, Says She's An Atheist
A local minister stepped down from her post just before announcing she is an atheist.

Tallahassee, Fl--4/3/12 --- By: Danielle Eldredge

A methodist pastor in our area says she's been leading a double life.
She's been hiding the fact she doesn't believe in ? .

Lake Jackson Methodist has been in Tallahassee for a century. In one hundred years they've never had a confirmed atheist pastor--until last week.

"I think it's a challenge for the church. It's a challenge for each one of us but it's not new. Two thousand years ago even Peter denied christ," said Antonio Fernandez, the district superintendent for the church.

T[UPDATE] Local Minister Steps Down, Says She's An Atheist
A local minister stepped down from her post just before announcing she is an atheist.

Tallahassee, Fl--4/3/12 --- By: Danielle Eldredge

A methodist pastor in our area says she's been leading a double life.
She's been hiding the fact she doesn't believe in ? .

Lake Jackson Methodist has been in Tallahassee for a century. In one hundred years they've never had a confirmed atheist pastor--until last week.

"I think it's a challenge for the church. It's a challenge for each one of us but it's not new. Two thousand years ago even Peter denied christ," said Antonio Fernandez, the district superintendent for the church.

Teresa Macbain resigned from her position as pastor last Friday. She had been Lake Jackson's pastor for three years. But, Monday of last week she spoke from a different pulpit. She was a suprise guest speaker at the American Atheist Conference.

In a youtube video recording of her speech, she tells the audience,"You were the ones who were going to burn in hell and I'm happy to say, as I stand before you, I'm going to burn with you."

She revealed that she was a member of the Clergy Project. It's an online community that aims to be a safe place for clergy members who are secret non-believers.

Macbain wrote a testimonial for the site under the fake name "Lynn." At the time she had not yet resigned form her duties.

She writes,"Every week I struggle with the fact that I'm lying when I stand before my congregation. I'm leading a double life."

Fernandez says Macbain was going through difficult times with her family. He thinks it shook her faith.

The church will appoint a new full-time pastor in June. In the meantime, church members will carry out the Sunday services.

Tallahassee, FL --- April 2, 2012 --- 5:37p.m. By: Deneige Broom

A member of Lake Jackson United Methodist in Tallahassee says Teresa MacBain left the church Friday, March 30.

A day later, a video was posted online from a recent American Atheist Conference.

In it, MacBain came out as an atheist to the crowd.

Church members are meeting tonight to discuss leadership plans in her absence.

MacBain was with the church since 2009.

We have not been able to get in touch with MacBain or church clergy for comment.

A link to the video is below.
eresa Macbain resigned from her position as pastor last Friday. She had been Lake Jackson's pastor for three years. But, Monday of last week she spoke from a different pulpit. She was a suprise guest speaker at the American Atheist Conference.

In a youtube video recording of her speech, she tells the audience,"You were the ones who were going to burn in hell and I'm happy to say, as I stand before you, I'm going to burn with you."

She revealed that she was a member of the Clergy Project. It's an online community that aims to be a safe place for clergy members who are secret non-believers.

Macbain wrote a testimonial for the site under the fake name "Lynn." At the time she had not yet resigned form her duties.

She writes,"Every week I struggle with the fact that I'm lying when I stand before my congregation. I'm leading a double life."

Fernandez says Macbain was going through difficult times with her family. He thinks it shook her faith.

The church will appoint a new full-time pastor in June. In the meantime, church members will carry out the Sunday services.

Tallahassee, FL --- April 2, 2012 --- 5:37p.m. By: Deneige Broom

A member of Lake Jackson United Methodist in Tallahassee says Teresa MacBain left the church Friday, March 30.

A day later, a video was posted online from a recent American Atheist Conference.

In it, MacBain came out as an atheist to the crowd.

Church members are meeting tonight to discuss leadership plans in her absence.

MacBain was with the church since 2009.

We have not been able to get in touch with MacBain or church clergy for comment.

A link to the video is below.

Comments