The Kendrick Single Has been released.

Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in The Essence
His official mainstream single. What are yalls thoughts on it? word is its pretty hot. i havent got the chance to listen to it tho. Think kendrick could be a good MC in the mainstream or it feel like he could be selling out already?

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    It's a decent track… just not as good as he could have been for a first single, if this is his In Da Club announcement, then it's going to be a quiet one, IMO.

It's very clear why Detox will never drop, Dre can't get a ghostwriter to write a nice verse for someone of his age… your OLD Dre, fall back and stop talking like an 18 year old... His verse is what I'd expect to hear on something from a 14 year old who has dreamt up millions in his head. Jay-Z can rap about money in a way that comes across to the people due to his 'phors. Whether Kendrick wrote it this or not, Dr. Dre just spells it out in a very "I'm great yet I can't even make an album" kind of way and that's why I can't even take his verses seriously, it's laughable.

The Watcher was a nice song wrote for him by Jay-Z because it was from the perspective of a veteran and it was still nice… he shouldn't be spelling the word H-A-T-E in a verse in my opinion, school boy stuff and he isn't even flippin' it.

Beat is quite nice… Kendrick is saying nothing over it though… ADHD as a single would blow this out of the water… and I think an ode to Cali should be more…

'They come for the women, weed and weather…'

Sounds nice, but I'd have preferred a more personal effort that told of why he's something different rather than trying to sound like everyone else.

'Lookin' like a boss'

Kendrick sounds like Rick Ross or something… not what I remember from him the past three years, Section. 80 tracks are >>>>> better than this single, IMO.

It's decent, but the track with The Game was a lot better for showcasing Kendrick's talents, Kendrick does nothing for me on this single to showcase his skills as a lyricist.

I prefer Kendrick bringing something new, hopefully he won't turn redundant with his lyrics, he's very talented and nobody listening to this will even get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgfY_9rXlZE
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont know what to think of this song yet. its mos def a kendrick song but i jus dont know about it yet. well i guess well just have to wait 7 years when his aftermath debut comes out.
  • RuffDraft
    edited April 2012
    satyrone wrote: »
    i dont know what to think of this song yet. its mos def a kendrick song but i jus dont know about it yet. well i guess well just have to wait 7 years when his aftermath debut comes out.

LOL. Funny, I agree… although I think Dre will release his music ASAP. He knows he's sitting on something big…

The production was really nice too… but I just don't like the lyrics or the avenue that they've chosen… there could, as I've said before, have been a way to make a better ode to LA. Despite it being a Kendrick song, it's not really the subject matter that he became more known for…

KendrickLamarandDrDreFullSize.jpg
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave it time.. but i'm not feeling this track at all.
  • RuffDraft
    Ishi wrote: »
    I gave it time.. but i'm not feeling this track at all.

The record is flat-out poor, IMO. Really don't get the move to bring it out or anything. At least we have his earlier releases if worst comes to worst.
  • Lou Cypher
    Yeah, tbh Dr. Dre's verses on here make me sad. How could i enjoy this mans music so much once before but now... ? it.
  • RuffDraft
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Yeah, tbh Dr. Dre's verses on here make me sad. How could i enjoy this mans music so much once before but now... ? it.

Dude needs to hang up the mic, I don't think he understands that people want to hear Detox for his beats... nobody wants to hear him rhyme... he doesn't write and he certainly doesn't own the mic.
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not bad. I'm sure it will grow on me with a few more listens.
  • Lou Cypher
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Lou Cypher wrote: »

Dude needs to hang up the mic, I don't think he understands that people want to hear Detox for his beats... nobody wants to hear him rhyme... he doesn't write and he certainly doesn't own the mic.

Yeah, but in 2001 and the chronic, i mean his rhymes were alright. granted he didnt write most of them but he sounded like he belonged. In this song and almost every song ive heard since 2001, dre just sounds like hes trying to be young again. granted he has young people ghostwriting, but he sounds like hes forcing it to fit in.