$500 dollars for 30,000 mile service......rip off?

Options
naomi shambles
naomi shambles Members Posts: 150 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Let Me Ride
I purchased a used 2010 Hyundai Elantra back in July 2011.It had about 18,000 miles on it. I purchased the extended warranty (100,000 miles/10 years; whichever comes first). Anyway, it is now at 30,000 miles, so it is time for my 30,000 mile service. I called my local Hyundai dealership where I purchased the car and they said the basic service for 30,000 miles that would still maintain the validity of my warranty would be $500. :( I have talked to people who feel this is exorbitant and a waste of money. I an new to owning a car and I really don't know anything about changing my own oil filters etc. I want my car to last a very long time. So far I haven't had any problems with my car. I get oil changes every 3500 miles. Is this a normal price for a 30,000 mile service? What's the alternative if there is any to still make sure my car lasts a long time.

I'll pay the $500 if needed ...just wanted to get others feed back whose more experienced.

Comments

• Daddy_PeaceBuck$
    Daddy_PeaceBuck$ Members Posts: 203 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Do not pay the $500. I would go to Wal Mart or Meineke first. The dealership are always going to overcharge you. It's like when I take my car in for an oil change they want to tell me that they found other things wrong with my car and it will be like $600 to fix. Didn't ask for all that ? . Just change my oil.
  • Dubber Rucky
    Dubber Rucky Banned Users Posts: 601
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Your first mistake in making sure your car last a long time was buying a hyundai....
  • TwistedOrder
    TwistedOrder Members Posts: 7
    edited December 2011
    Options
    the 30,000 mile service is JUST a Transmission fluid swap (119.99), Oil Change (29.99), Tire Rotation (19.99), Air Filter (14.99), and Radiator Flush (99.99)
    So your total SHOULD be close to
    $255.00

Unless your car has a Differential, (Which it doesnt)

(I used to work at Jiffy ? .)
  • JJ 1975
    JJ 1975 Members Posts: 336
    Options
    Yes, seems high to me.
  • Bloo Q
    Bloo Q Members Posts: 377
    Options
    ? need to learn how to do them ? themselves.
  • Hattie71
    Hattie71 Members Posts: 5
    Options
    The dealership are always going to overcharge you. It's like when I take my car in for an oil change they want to tell me that they found other things wrong with my car avatar4.jpg
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Your first mistake in making sure your car last a long time was buying a hyundai....

Hyundai's are some of the best built cars on the road...this isnt 1995 anymore.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rage wrote: »

Hyundai's are some of the best built cars on the road...this isnt 1995 anymore.

a lot of people don't know that. I see the newer models and I often think that I should have gotten one.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dealers will always overcharge for there services and will always try to tell u get you to agree to some ? repair or mainetenece that cost mad money...The only positive is that the deal has the right parts for your car for the most part and usually back by some warranty.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do not pay the $500. I would go to Wal Mart or Meineke first. The dealership are always going to overcharge you. It's like when I take my car in for an oil change they want to tell me that they found other things wrong with my car and it will be like $600 to fix. Didn't ask for all that ? . Just change my oil.

There supposed to do that though, doesnt mean you have to get whatever else fixed there and then, but if something else ? up shortly after your oil change stupid people will go back to the dealership and complain how everything was fine before they got there oil change and blame it on them
  • its....JOHN B
    Options

By the way if you mean by going to wal mart to buy your own oil and filter then you probably should know that the reason you think your getting a good deal is because your buying bottom of the barrell oil, and thats not good for the long term which the threadstarter is concerned about.

• its....JOHN B
    Options
    the 30,000 mile service is JUST a Transmission fluid swap (119.99), Oil Change (29.99), Tire Rotation (19.99), Air Filter (14.99), and Radiator Flush (99.99)
    So your total SHOULD be close to
    $255.00

Unless your car has a Differential, (Which it doesnt)

(I used to work at Jiffy ? .)

I guess it varies, but a transmission flush is usually more than 119
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Bloo Q wrote: »
    ? need to learn how to do them ? themselves.

Oil changes are easy but id rather spend the 30-40 dollars to have it done
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    waste of money