what would you let your kids listen to?

young_reezy
young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in The Reason
its hard for me to let certain music play around my sun. if you have kids or dont have young kids what hip hop would you let them listen to? i find myself playing 80's rap around him, the messages in todays "hip hop" aint wusup for da children (in odb's voice)

Comments

• InMyLifeTime91
    InMyLifeTime91 Members Posts: 1,289
    edited March 2010
    depeneds how old the kids are.. the older they are the more concepts they can grab n understand wats real n wats entertainment
  • young_reezy
    edited March 2010
    true dat i got a toddler but he loves sounds and beats i'm just filtering what i can cause i know i cant do it forever. just letting him know what the real is.
  • edutained_by_hh
    edutained_by_hh Members Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    depeneds how old the kids are.. the older they are the more concepts they can grab n understand wats real n wats entertainment

Co-sign. If you expose them too early it can have negative consequences.
  • northtoledoboi
    northtoledoboi Members Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    I'd let my son listen to whatever he likes to. Of course it's gonna be a filter for certain artists and certain songs but that's on a case by case basis. It's always been negavity in music and always will be but he'll know right from wrong, good from bad. Common sense...and understand it's only entertainment, don't take it to heart.
  • InMyLifeTime91
    edited March 2010
    yeah i kno wat ur sayin but u gonna have to teach youngin wats right from wrong n how to make good decisions.. you feel me? if i had kids right now.. id have listenin to old school ? as their young. or maybe some soulful ? have my daughter listenin to mary j blige, alicia keys, j hudson ? like that cuz even miley cyrus is out here dancein on poles n ? .. n yeah your kids r gonna here certain songs n like the sound but u needa decide if its appropiate for them or not.. if i had a son id have that lil ? on some real hiphop startin at a young age.. back to the essence of rap type ? ..
  • young_reezy
    edited March 2010
    right from wrong? lol i'm on that like moses my nig. not forcing anything on my lil man just giving guidance. i got em on 80's rap just so he knows how far its come
  • InMyLifeTime91
    edited March 2010
    right from wrong? lol i'm on that like moses my nig. not forcing anything on my lil man just giving guidance. i got em on 80's rap just so he knows how far its come

lol yeah fasho my nig
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    joe i got a daughter and it's tough i mean every single song is about ? black eye peas are my best bet along wiht disney ? but once you get int eh car it's a wrap
  • mattee c
    mattee c Members Posts: 693
    edited March 2010
    Only 2 Live Crew, Black Sabbath, Geto Boys, Brotha Lynch Hung, UGK, etc. I figure this will teach them all they need to know. j/k
    I don't really plan on havin kids, but if I did, I would just stress the difference between reality and entertainment. And stress that music is entertainment and should not always be taken literally. My parents did this with me and I can honestly say I've never been influenced to do anything stupid from listening to a song. I grew up listening to my dad's old Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin albums and when I got a little older, I started listening heavy metal and rap like Run DMC, Geto Boys, Ice T, etc. If your kid's gonna be influenced by a song, if it wasn't that it'd be a video game or a movie or whatever. It's just that "satanic" heavy metal songs and ? rap songs have always been convenient scapegoats for kids that caught doin dumb ? because figures of authority already don't like the music.
  • mattee c
    mattee c Members Posts: 693
    edited March 2010
    Only 2 Live Crew, Black Sabbath, Geto Boys, Brotha Lynch Hung, UGK, etc. I figure this will teach them all they need to know. j/k
    I don't really plan on havin kids, but if I did, I would just stress the difference between reality and entertainment. And stress that music is entertainment and should not always be taken literally. My parents did this with me and I can honestly say I've never been influenced to do anything stupid from listening to a song. I grew up listening to my dad's old Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin albums and when I got a little older, I started listening heavy metal and rap like Run DMC, Geto Boys, Ice T, etc. If your kid's gonna be influenced by a song, if it wasn't that it'd be a video game or a movie or whatever. It's just that "satanic" heavy metal songs and ? rap songs have always been convenient scapegoats for kids that get caught doin dumb ? because figures of authority already don't like the music.
  • young_reezy
    edited March 2010
    i play some jazz some old school r&b, the only thing about hip hop is that you do have to make that entertainment distinction. i wont ever pop a jazz cd in and be like yo this is is charlie parker dont take this ? serious. lol. thats why i try to keep the hip hop i do knock closer to reality.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    yea and my real problem is my girl she will just pay and sing any dam thing in front of our daughter oneday she was like daddy what's birthday sex i had to go in on my girl that week i was beefing heavy it's just hard at a certain age in a kids life b/c like rihanna rude boy that song is a killer kids like but you can't have your 7 year old daughter singing that ? but yet they got her ad the kids award singing the ?
  • young_reezy
    edited March 2010
    lol i feel you i see how that could happen
  • redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    yea and my real problem is my girl she will just pay and sing any dam thing in front of our daughter oneday she was like daddy what's birthday sex i had to go in on my girl that week i was beefing heavy it's just hard at a certain age in a kids life b/c like rihanna rude boy that song is a killer kids like but you can't have your 7 year old daughter singing that ? but yet they got her at the kids award singing the ?

yea i seen that ? that was ?
  • ambiguous1
    ambiguous1 Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    depends i hope i'll teach my kids to know that it's just music etc

but anything that doesnt really have cuss words, overtly s#xual messages... and well that's not wack lol
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    edited March 2010
    It all depends on you the parent. I grew up listening to NWA, Ice Cube, Ice-T, Geto Boys, 2pac, Nas, etc. Pops always stressed if I got into gangbangin, we would go a few rounds bare knuckle. Thats what kids need
  • young_reezy
    edited March 2010
    yeah i hear you. people blaming ? on music is ? to an extent. some kids don't have that voice of reasoning so if the only mans words you respect is jeezy, then we have a problem, so it is on the parents i just don't want my kid listening to no ? just for my own selfish reasons lol.
  • Stewart
    Stewart Members Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    Personally I like Wu-Tang, but not all kids listen to rap and hip hop.
  • krow132
    krow132 Members Posts: 1,033 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    I think I would let my kids bump disny artist and soul music.

Lots of soul music, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Marvin Gaye, Alicia Keys and some hip hop, Mos Def, The Roots etc etc.

Plus you can always play clean versions of music around them