WHAT QUALIFIES GOAT STATUS?

Options
SupremeXXV
SupremeXXV Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in AllHipHop.com Editorials
I'm not sure how many times this type of thread has been created before, but I just downloaded Beanie Sigel's new "Broad Street Empire" mixtape and the jawn is tough...Now, I've always been a fan of Beans and I feel like he's one of the best to ever pick up a mic, but my brother said he's not even top 50 because he doesn't have the album sales or hit records on his resume...So question, how important is the hit records/album sales or net worth to an artist claim as one of the GOAT'S? Does it hold weight amongst the listeners or is that just for magazines or MTV whenever they decide to create a list? All comments welcomed...thanks for the feedback in advance.

Comments

• Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its a balance of both. But i think its mainly based on IMPACT that Determine whether SOMEONE is great or not. How did he/she change the game and is his/her influence still prevalent to this day.

Beans is a TOP TEIR Spitter and he can make an album but his impact isnt that strong.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    An artist has to be consistently great in all categories. Not necessarily the best at everything because that's pretty much impossible. Their overall body of work should speak for itself.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Longevity mixed with Relevance and Skill, but it has to be on a universal scale.
  • SnowBunnySmanger
    SnowBunnySmanger Members Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Its a balance of both. But i think its mainly based on IMPACT that Determine whether SOMEONE is great or not. How did he/she change the game and is his/her influence still prevalent to this day.

Beans is a TOP TEIR Spitter and he can make an album but his impact isnt that strong.

Impact is largely determined by popularity. If one were really to consider that the most integral factor of GOAT status then it would become nothing more than a popularity contest. Judging artists according to such thinking would mean that someone like Soulja Boy is closer to GOAT status than Beans.

I don't think one could really argue that that is true though. Maybe someone can prove me wrong?
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options

Impact is largely determined by popularity. If one were really to consider that the most integral factor of GOAT status then it would become nothing more than a popularity contest. Judging artists according to such thinking would mean that someone like Soulja Boy is closer to GOAT status than Beans.

I don't think one could really argue that that is true though. Maybe someone can prove me wrong?

Not necessarily. Illmatic wasnt a Multiplat album when it dropped but u cant deny it's IMPACT. (Biggie credited the influence to Ready to Die almost solely to Illmatic) I think its really the Impact within the culture not on the People (On lookers)
  • SnowBunnySmanger
    Options

Not necessarily. Illmatic wasnt a Multiplat album when it dropped but u cant deny it's IMPACT. (Biggie credited the influence to Ready to Die almost solely to Illmatic) I think its really the Impact within the culture not on the People (On lookers)

illmatic is very popular though. Things that are not popular do not really make an impact (beans anyone?). That does not mean they are not talented though.

I just feel that impact should not be the main thing we look at. Ability to put on a show and move a crowd, write good songs, choose good beats, & speak on good topics is also important.

• Sweet Dick Willie
    Sweet Dick Willie Members Posts: 273
    Options
    If you can make an impact upon entering the game, have a long career, and hold your own with the elites of your time then when it's all said and done you should qualify for GOAT status(imo).
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options

illmatic is very popular though. Things that are not popular do not really make an impact (beans anyone?). That does not mean they are not talented though.

I just feel that impact should not be the main thing we look at. Ability to put on a show and move a crowd, write good songs, choose good beats, & speak on good topics is also important.

But all of that is subjective. Impact on a Culture is more objective. Whether u like or agree with Flavor Flav antics u cant deny the Impact Public Enemy had on Hip Hop Culture. I didnt say ONLY but Impact is the difference between the regular and the GOATS. Cant name one person called a GOAT with ZERO Impact.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Have an impact in hip hop that Nas, BIG, Pac, Rakim, and Jay had
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah, ? impact. that should be the last thing you consider when talking about classics and goats.
  • $tayRichROLLIN
    $tayRichROLLIN Members Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn good thread..

I think skills, longevity and timeless material. And beans is top 15-20. He's just not radio friendly by myself
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • SnowBunnySmanger
    Options

But all of that is subjective. Impact on a Culture is more objective. Whether u like or agree with Flavor Flav antics u cant deny the Impact Public Enemy had on Hip Hop Culture. I didnt say ONLY but Impact is the difference between the regular and the GOATS. Cant name one person called a GOAT with ZERO Impact.

Without a doubt impact is relevant. Especially when talking about GOAT status. I doubt the Beatles or Tupac would be revered as highly as they are if they were not immensely popular and influential.
  • SnowBunnySmanger
    Options
    Anyone feel technical skill should be considered when discussing GOATS?

Could a GOAT have low technical skill, or do you prefer artists to be able to flex some literary muscle?
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A strong opinion
  • $tayRichROLLIN
    $tayRichROLLIN Members Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^^^ true statement homie.....
  • Yroc
    Yroc Members Posts: 145 ✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    as jay would say:

Ya ? can't be serious right now/
    I'm the all time heavy weight champion of flow-ers/
    I'm leading the league in at least six statistical categories right now/
    Best flow, Most consistent, Realest stories/
    Most charisma, I set the most trends/
    And my interviews are hotter...

as far as record sales:

...so if your message ain't ? , ? the records you sold/
    cuz if you go platinum, it's got nothing to do with luck/
    it just means that a million people are stupid as ? ... ~ immortal technique

so obviously it should be a culmination of things with each varying in weight/importance, you know, like a credit score.

• DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anyone feel technical skill should be considered when discussing GOATS?

Could a GOAT have low technical skill, or do you prefer artists to be able to flex some literary muscle?

Depends on if you're talking about a specific goat, like goat lyricist, goat flow, etc. but the music is more important than the skills. as long as the music isn't throwaway trash like soulja boi or something, it has to actually be able to sound good 10+ years later.
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you can make an impact upon entering the game, have a long career, and hold your own with the elites of your time then when it's all said and done you should qualify for GOAT status(imo).

so is Ludacris one of the GOATS ?
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Arguably the best in the game for a few years. At least one certified classic, have some sort of impact/influence, sales (whether y'all like it or not) it don't mean the rapper had to sell the most records. But at least have a few plat albums.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Oh yeah longevity too. Exceptions for cats like tupac and biggie.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Longevity/relevance
    Catalog (classic albums and songs)
    Impact/Influence (who's style did you help create, sales,what trends did you start)
    Skillet (lyrics, flows, deliveries,etc)
    Stage presence
  • SupremeXXV
    SupremeXXV Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have an impact in hip hop that Nas, BIG, Pac, Rakim, and Jay had

True and I feel that, but Beans was one of the most important pieces to the Roc-A-Fella camp back in the day...And I don't know if I'm alone in this but "The Truth" was a classic album...Didn't do crazy platinum selling numbers, but it went gold and I'm pretty sure if you throw that ? on today (12 years later) it still bangs.

I saw a comment that said Ludacris should be considered one of the GOATS too and that's real ? ...Wonder why dude get's slept on.

• Sweet Dick Willie
    Sweet Dick Willie Members Posts: 273
    Options
    freshb651 wrote: »

so is Ludacris one of the GOATS ?

Luda didn't make an impact imo, he came in the game kind of under the radar, plus I should have said a long consistent career Luda started to fall off after his 3rd lp.

• SnowBunnySmanger
    Options
    Anyone value rappers who produce more highly than rappers who just rap?