Is it worth it to take a RB in the first round?

Options
Dick Shitman
Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
On one hand, you get an elite talent like a Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson but how many playoff wins do those guys have? The Saints have Reggie Bush, but their leading rusher was undrafted Pierre Thomas. Last years champ Steelers had undrafted Willie Parker as the leading rusher. The year before the champion Giants had 4th rounder Brandon Jacobs.

Of the NFL's top ten rushing leaders last year, 4 did it on teams other than the first one they were on (Ced Benson, Thomas Jones, Ryan Grant, Ricky Williams). Three of those guys are first rounders. Will you get to enjoy your investment?

On the other hand, I kinda like what the Panthers did. Two first rounders on RB's within 3 years, and they should be set for a while with Stewart/Williams.

Which strategy is better?

Comments

• tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I think both strategies are good. It all depends on the situation and the ppl evaluating the talent. Let's face it, a lot of General Managers in the league need to shot for their boneheaded decisions. Many of them fold under the pressure of their situations. Many of them aren't even the smartest in their organizations. But back to your point

I think we look at yardage and 40 yard times and hand players their hall of fame careers. These general managers seem to forget the most important aspect of winning when its the first round. Hall of Fame players and franchise players are not that JUST based on their stats. That of course is qualification but it was their will to win games, will to dominate, intellectual ability, toughness and in many cases LUCK OF NOT GETTING INJURED. That stuff cannot be measured and cannot be taught. You have to develop that on your own as an individual and many teams just look past that fact and pick for the sake of stats. Then when the kid gets a garunteed 15 mil we wonder why he isn't hitting the hole as hard.
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ? aint got no opinion on this?
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i only take a rb if im sure he can be a everydown or effective back...maybe in mid or late first round...if my team needed a rb i would take spiller from clemson....he will prolly be the first rb off the board
  • radaman
    radaman Members Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    The Rb position has to be one of the hardest positions to evaluate from the college game to the NFL... you honestly never know what you're gonna get... Hell I didn't think AP was gonna be this good and I thought Reggie Bush was gonna be on some Barry Sanders ? ... Smh...
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    later rounds is best!

even w/ a CJ or a AP. those teams didnt win a superbowl.......im sayin that to say, even if u have a all pro @ RB. it does not mean u'll win.

so its not worth it.

BUT, if ur in the 2nd round. the best player on the board is a RB. u might as well draft him
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Spiller = 1st RD talent....but id rather find my RBs in later rounds.