Agree or disagree Rappers should try to keep RnB Singers feature for Hooks as minimal as possible

DiplomatsCam
DiplomatsCam Members Posts: 159
edited April 2012 in The Reason
No more than 3 features on a Hook max either Harmonize/Sing them self or just Rap the Hook or worst come to worst just sample Hooks or is it acceptable to go the Rick Ross, Jay Z, 2pac route and fill up Albums with so many features on every Song from RnB Singers on Hooks?

Comments

• ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree... No Skyler Grey or Rhianna either... It takes away from the music...
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ocelot wrote: »
    I agree... No Skyler Grey or Rhianna either... It takes away from the music...

neither of them are r&b singers they are pop singers tho i don't mind authentic r&b singers on a hook.....all 3 of them
  • DreadsRIGHT
    DreadsRIGHT Members Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    With todays rnb i would agree the ? is garbage...

With yesterday's rnb? Nah man ? was like the milk to the cereal. Added another dimension to the music especially since both genres are rooted in the african community.
  • DiplomatsCam
    Also think even if the Rapper isn't going to Sing on a Hook as well as a real Singer they are being Artistic by atleast trying to Sing or Harmonize the Hook them self rather than pay an RnB Singer do it it for them when they get RnB Singers on more than 3 Songs on an Album that is just saying they can't be bothered to be Artistic and creative.

It's better to be creative rather than take the easy route.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Add features period to this too, when it comes to solo albums. I swear all LPs are group projects these days
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Yes, it's acceptable to go the "Rick Ross, Jay-Z, 2Pac route" as long as the overall song is good and the verses are potent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GtsgpDJawc

Sampling hooks aren't bad at all either, as long as it's executed properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX7NewfcUK4

But it would be nice to see more albums where rappers hold their own.

...and i'm not interested in rappers harmonizing the hooks themselves either. Live Your Life by T.I.>>Love This Life by T.I.

• trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    did u kno r&b iz dead too?
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like some melodic-singing in some of my rap songs.

I'm not into that intimate ? were you sit in a dark room and try to get personal with some male-rapper, I want some gumbo music that has multiple ingredients to get the party started.

? I miss when Lauryn Hill, Mary J, Erykah Badu, and Missy laced them hooks or when Jodeci, Nate Dogg, Lyfe Jennings, & Akon would lace them hooks....
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as it's a dope song, it doesn't matter. Sometimes a singer enhances the song. Nas is my favorite rapper and he's done a lot of dope even classic collabos with R&B singers:

Nas feat. R. Kelly- Street Dreams Remix
    Nas feat. Lauryn Hill- If I Ruled The World
    Nas feat. Ron Isley- Project Windows

^^^Classics

Nas feat. Aaliyah- You Won't See Me Tonight
    Nas feat. Alicia Keys- Warrior Song
    Nas feat. Chrisette Michele- Can't Forget About You
    Nas feat. Chrisette Michele- Still Dreamin
    Nas feat. Trey Williams- Let There Be Light
    Nas feat. Keri Hilson- Hero
    Nas feat. Marsha Ambrosius- If I Ruled The World '09

^^^ Dope
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    R&B singers are not ruining hip hop a trey songz makes a song fire same with an R-kelly. But drake auto-tuning 9 times outta 10 is wack as ? same thing with a roshoe trash thinking they can sing. Same thing with the pop artists like sklar grey who soung annoying as ? . There was never a problem with R&B singers blending with hip hop its been wanna re r&b singers or pop singers not blending their sound to fit hip hop
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    smh hater thread.
    Nate Doggity Dogg on the hook >>>>>>>>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L8upjc-of8
  • DiplomatsCam
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »

I'm not into that intimate ? were you sit in a dark room and try to get personal with some male-rapper, I want some gumbo music that has multiple ingredients to get the party started.

? I miss when Lauryn Hill, Mary J, Erykah Badu, and Missy laced them hooks or when Jodeci, Nate Dogg, Lyfe Jennings, & Akon would lace them hooks....

You missed the point which was is it better as a Rapper to Harmonize and Sing your own Hooks yourself even if you won't sound as good as a pro/real Singer yet still being Artistic, being creative and doing something the hard way by attempting to Sing yourself rather than take the easy route.

Or take the easy route and just pay RnB Singers or any kid of Singer period to feature and Sing on the Hooks through out ya Album?

Being Artistic and attempting to Sing Harmonize yourself>>>>>>>Paying an RnB Singer to do the Hooks IMO. Artistic integrity and also not doing the most easy thing in the world always wins IMO.
  • DiplomatsCam
    As long as it's a dope song, it doesn't matter. Sometimes a singer enhances the song. Nas is my favorite rapper and he's done a lot of dope even classic collabos with R&B singers:

^^^Classics

^^^ Dope

But would you rather Nas take pride as an Artist and attempt to atleast Harmonize the Hooks himself even if he doesn't all out Sing him being creative, him being Artistic by Harmonizing the Hook himself or take the easy route of just paying a huge amount of money to a famous Singers to feature and do the Hooks all over his Album?

• DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    real singers >>>>> rappers harmonizing when they're ? at it (eminem)
  • DiplomatsCam
    Yes, it's acceptable to go the "Rick Ross, Jay-Z, 2Pac route" as long as the overall song is good and the verses are potent.

...and i'm not interested in rappers harmonizing the hooks themselves either. Live Your Life by T.I.>>Love This Life by T.I.

But it's not like more than a few Rappers atleast since the 2000 era till present haven't actually had success Singing or Harmonizing the Hooks themself if we talking Hit records or succesful Albums. Eminem, Bone Thugs and Harmony, Whiz Khalifa, Drake, 50 Cent, T.I. just to name a few.

So when those Rappers actually Sing or Harmonize their Hooks and gain success while doing it do you feel it makes those like Rick Ross, Jay, Nas, Snoop most Rappers really who just pay Singers to feature and do their Hooks look bad? look like they taking the most easy route?

It would be 1 thing if all these Rappers Harmonizing and Singing where failing at it like the Singlers they were doing it on were flopping or the Albums they were doing it on weren't selling all that much. But for so many Rappers who do it to maintain a high level of success while Harmonizing and Singing would you not say it does make those look bad atleast in this climate that take the easy route and pay others to do the Hooks on their Songs?

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^Classics

^^^ Dope

But would you rather Nas take pride as an Artist and attempt to atleast Harmonize the Hooks himself even if he doesn't all out Sing him being creative, him being Artistic by Harmonizing the Hook himself or take the easy route of just paying a huge amount of money to a famous Singers to feature and do the Hooks all over his Album?

there are songs where nas sings the hooks but its always better when a singer sings
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

You missed the point which was is it better as a Rapper to Harmonize and Sing your own Hooks yourself even if you won't sound as good as a pro/real Singer yet still being Artistic, being creative and doing something the hard way by attempting to Sing yourself rather than take the easy route.

Or take the easy route and just pay RnB Singers or any kid of Singer period to feature and Sing on the Hooks through out ya Album?

Being Artistic and attempting to Sing Harmonize yourself>>>>>>>Paying an RnB Singer to do the Hooks IMO. Artistic integrity and also not doing the most easy thing in the world always wins IMO.

Yo ? got a lil meat on it, I like that bubble.

I don't even want Nas to attempt to sing on his songs or JayZ or Ghostface....

I respect Ghost for recognizing that his singing is terrible and that Carl Thomas sounds better than him singing and is worth the money to not to have Ghost ruin a song singing.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^Classics

^^^ Dope

He has dope songs where he sang the hook himself, but like I said as long as the song is dope, it doesn't matter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YSpG8yi4hI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOODXc8BdS4
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012

But it's not like more than a few Rappers atleast since the 2000 era till present haven't actually had success Singing or Harmonizing the Hooks themself if we talking Hit records or succesful Albums. Eminem, Bone Thugs and Harmony, Whiz Khalifa, Drake, 50 Cent, T.I. just to name a few.

So when those Rappers actually Sing or Harmonize their Hooks and gain success while doing it do you feel it makes those like Rick Ross, Jay, Nas, Snoop most Rappers really who just pay Singers to feature and do their Hooks look bad? look like they taking the most easy route?

It would be 1 thing if all these Rappers Harmonizing and Singing where failing at it like the Singlers they were doing it on were flopping or the Albums they were doing it on weren't selling all that much. But for so many Rappers who do it to maintain a high level of success while Harmonizing and Singing would you not say it does make those look bad atleast in this climate that take the easy route and pay others to do the Hooks on their Songs?

most of these new rappers are singing their hooks and its sounds awful. imagine Big Sean singing My Last or Wale singing That Way (dope songs btw) not everyone can be like BTNH
  • DiplomatsCam

If their succesful at it selling records, having high charting Singles doing it then it's all opinion wether you like it or not but the fact the records gain success while an Rapper Singing means you can't argue with that. The majority like it so that means the person who doesnt is in the minority since the records where they Sung or Harmonized got success. Wether on Radio or sales or eveen a lotta downloads.
  • DiplomatsCam

most of these new rappers are singing their hooks and its sounds awful. imagine Big Sean singing My Last or Wale singing That Way (dope songs btw) not everyone can be like BTNH

But see people would argue it's just your opinion that it's awful but others obviously liked it for the record to be succesful. It's like someone saying Pozza Hut is horrible yet the amount of people that like PIzza Hut and make it millions as a business while disagree with those that says it's wack.

Anything that is succesful a person can say they don't like but you can never take away from that success in this case people liking the records where the Harmonizing was done for the record to be big.

Others may think Bone Thugs aren't good at it while like someone like Wale doing it. It comes down to opinion.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

If their succesful at it selling records, having high charting Singles doing it then it's all opinion wether you like it or not but the fact the records gain success while an Rapper Singing means you can't argue with that. The majority like it so that means the person who doesnt is in the minority since the records where they Sung or Harmonized got success. Wether on Radio or sales or eveen a lotta downloads.
    timbaland made a hit that sampled a baby. does that mean people love baby samples? no. just like, just because ? rappers harmonize and it becomes a hit doesn't mean people love rappers harmonizing.

oh, and jay-z singing for a bar on I just wanna love u >>>>>>>>>> all of eminem's singing
  • DiplomatsCam

Yo ? got a lil meat on it, I like that bubble.

I don't even want Nas to attempt to sing on his songs or JayZ or Ghostface....

I respect Ghost for recognizing that his singing is terrible and that Carl Thomas sounds better than him singing and is worth the money to not to have Ghost ruin a song singing.

That's a fair point then i think most fans of those Rappers will agree. But on the flipside i wouldn't enjoy Eminem or Max B or Bone Thugs Music as much as i do if it wasn't for them Singing as much as they do. Now i'm not gonna say they the best Singers in the world but i can say it sounds good to me and is a factor in me liking their Music not the most important factor but a big 1 just based on how good the Singing they do sounds to me.

It comes down to taste but this thread is more about Artistic/creative intergrity over doing what anyone can do paying a Singer to feature rather than taste.
  • riddlerap
    riddlerap Members Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the way people are talking in this thread makes me wonder if all of you seem to think every chorus needs to be sang (by a singer or the rapper themselves). its not like a chorus cant just be a good mini-verse type thing. i like those best.

but totally on topic, it is wack as ? to have a ton of features, especially for just hooks.. it shows lack of real artistry. it'd be like a painter doing 2/3 of their painting and letting someone else finish it.
  • DiplomatsCam

timbaland made a hit that sampled a baby. does that mean people love baby samples? no. just like, just because ? rappers harmonize and it becomes a hit doesn't mean people love rappers harmonizing.

oh, and jay-z singing for a bar on I just wanna love u >>>>>>>>>> all of eminem's singing

Put that ? down white boy, Easy to tell you a white boy