Android vs iOS (A civil discussion if this is possible)

Options
The Lonious Monk
The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in IllTek
I'll say first off, I'm an Android user. I don't hate the iOS. I've played with the iPhone before, and it was cool. I don't really have anything negative to say about it, but I do like Android better. That said, I found this set of videos comparing the two operating systems, and I have to say it's pretty interesting. I got to admit, I didn't know the two were so different. It seems that a lot of things that are intuitive with Android don't work with iOS. I'm honestly not trying to start a flamewar. I was just wondering if any iOS officionados had any counters to the points he's bringing up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiY1kSTHZw&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayx4XsBaJBI&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsGQ_xts_Gw&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPKVWv1WxU&feature=relmfu

Comments

• UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited April 2012
    Options
    im actually gonna watch these vids but i havent really used iphones to the point where i can honestly speak on them
  • Martha71
    Martha71 Members Posts: 5
    Options
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Lol i honestly dont think you can get into a civil discussion when talking about these two topics. as the fanboys will come out from both sides. but as for the videos? he really did make some good points about the android os. he also made some very biased points as well (like in the 4th video saying he only had one app on his phone crash since december. i call ? my brother has the nexus and is constantly complaining about apps crashing) but a majority of the time he kept going back to customization and flexibility which is, apparently, android's biggest selling point. its what they do best(even though u can customize a jailbroken iphone as well but thats neither here nor there). i was waiting for him to say something against the android os (like the malware riddled ecosystem, fragmentation, and lack of serious gaming) but obviously that wasnt the point here. and i like both the android os and the i os for different reasons.
  • redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    Options
    you can dl torrents on android close thread
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Ounceman wrote: »
    Lol i honestly dont think you can get into a civil discussion when talking about these two topics. as the fanboys will come out from both sides. but as for the videos? he really did make some good points about the android os. he also made some very biased points as well (like in the 4th video saying he only had one app on his phone crash since december. i call ? my brother has the nexus and is constantly complaining about apps crashing) but a majority of the time he kept going back to customization and flexibility which is, apparently, android's biggest selling point. its what they do best(even though u can customize a jailbroken iphone as well but thats neither here nor there). i was waiting for him to say something against the android os (like the malware riddled ecosystem, fragmentation, and lack of serious gaming) but obviously that wasnt the point here. and i like both the android os and the i os for different reasons.

Your point about customization was my feeling on these videos too. I don't think he was really getting into the nuts and bolts of it such as with the malware and fragmentation. He seemed to be focused more on ease of use and customization. ? like not being able to copy phone numbers into your dialer is kinda crazy though. It's such a simple and intuitive thing. I was kinda surprised when he showed that you couldn't do that with the iOS. I mean that is a simple thing, but at the same time those little things do build up.
  • IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the iOS is alot more accessible and "user-friendly", but its more constricting..
    If you've developed a feel for technology and its capabilities, then I believe the Andriod is better
  • Florence52
    Florence52 Members Posts: 7
    Options
    have to say it's prettavatar4.jpgy interesting. I got to admit, I didn't know the two were so different. It seems that a lot of things that are intuitive with Android don't work with iOS
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Florence52 wrote: »
    have to say it's prettavatar4.jpgy interesting. I got to admit, I didn't know the two were so different. It seems that a lot of things that are intuitive with Android don't work with iOS

th_ConfusedLook.gif
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Both are limited out of the box, but a rooted android has more to offer than a jailbroken ios. Cosign to killakam by the way.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I don't know about with iOS, but you can do a lot on an Android without rooting it. Mine isn't rooted, and I still basically transformed it using the Go line of apps.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KiIIaKam wrote: »
    I think the iOS is alot more accessible and "user-friendly", but its more constricting..
    If you've developed a feel for technology and its capabilities, then I believe the Andriod is better

This is very true. People flock to apple products because of the status quo. Little do they know that Steve Jobs has stated that the consumer is stupid. That the consumer just wants to plug it and let it work. They don't want to be consumed by the technical nuances of using an electronic device. That speaks volumes on how the iOS is presented.

Though I have only, for a short while, used the iOS, I found myself afforded more freedom with the Droid OS. And he does make some valid points. Especially the difficulty of navigating the iphone.
  • Got Em Shook
    Got Em Shook Members Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    here we go with this ? ..