Anyone in here Play a MMORPG?

Options
Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in IllGaming
Coppin a new Computer in 2 weeks. Was really wanting to get into another MMORPG. got a couple ideas. Theres always WoW that i played when it first came out. Most subscribers out of any MMO. Rift, which looks dope and started strong but seems like it has lost steam. or TERA online, been in S Korea for a year or so. Gonna get released to america in a couple weeks. Looks pretty dope and has great reviews. But is anyone on the IC ? with any MMO? any recommendations?

Comments

• grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Waiting for Phantasy Star Online 2.

I got bored with Rift when I hit lvl 30. You can find it dirt cheep though 5-10 bucks. If you like Wow, you should like Rift.

Vindictus and Dragon Nests are some really good F2P MMo's
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Yeah, i liked WoW the thing is tho it was kinda too easy. I Started with Everquest back when i was young and i felt like that was the Dark Souls of MMO's as far as difficulty. Boss battles had so much strategy involved. I looked at reviews for TERA and a lot of people are saying you Solo a lot of the game. being online, team based is a lot of what i like in an MMO, i kno theres a lot of Party quests in WoW. What was that like in Rift? good Raids/Group fights? or did you make it that far? i heard rift was a lot of soloing as well.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    I prefer the subscription based MMo's compared to F2P really. i just feel like they have more to offer.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Champions Online was my ? for a hot minute. The customizing is crazy. There's a free subscription and a paid subscription. I'd say the paid subscription is worth at least a try. But it really depends on how hard your'e on it. Got SWTOR last month or so, good game, I just lost interest. Didn't have the time too sit with it either. I was able to participate in the Tera Online open beta, it's pretty much like Aion. But the gameplay is similiar to Champions online. Meaning real time combat, I think that's what they call it.

So, I'd suggest Champions Online if your more into PVP type stuff. Plus you can play it for free. Epic character creating system. Best I've ever played on any platform. It has PVE, but it's not it's strong point at all. Just a way to grind for the most part I'd say. Xpad compatible.

SWTOR has the better story of any MMO I've tried so far, but it is Star Wars after all. It's been said that possibly 2 million dollars went into this games conception. Plays like any other MMO you've probably played. From the short time I spent with it, it seemed cool.

Tera, I just ran around attacking ? . I didn't care to hear about a story. Played similiar to Champions Online with an interface line Aion. Character creation is basic. ? was only a beta testing too. Ain't no telling what he final product might be. I might still check it out myself later on. Xpad compatible as well.

Aion, since I keep mentioning it. Gameplay similiar to SWTOR, but the story is ? . I think it's strong point is the PVP, but I didn't get a chance to try that out. Traveling the open world becomes a pain after a while too.

But I'd suggest doing your own research on what I mentioned.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Thanks kzzl. i checked into Aion and SWTOR already, people have been saying that SWTOR was really good in the beginning but got boring. didnt have a lot of replay value for a lot of folks. Ive been hearing a lot of good things about TERA so far, the only negative thing is the end game. Like theres not a lot of Raids or something. with the "real time combat" is that like button mashing or something? But like i said i love Groups/Guild/Raids all the cooperative ? . Were you soloing most the time in TERA?
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    I prefer the subscription based MMo's compared to F2P really. i just feel like they have more to offer.

keep thinking that.
  • lurkinassnigga
    lurkinassnigga Members Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »

SWTOR has the better story of any MMO I've tried so far, but it is Star Wars after all. It's been said that possibly 2 million dollars went into this games conception. Plays like any other MMO you've probably played. From the short time I spent with it, it seemed cool.

You mean 200 million right? I've heard estimates of up to 500 million as well. It seems like SWTOR started off really strong but interest in it died pretty quickly as well. It still has over 1 million subs, but you don't hear many people talking about it that much anymore. I decided to skip it since they really weren't doing anything new that I cared about.

I've played a bunch of free and subscription MMOs. Still playing Age of Conan, but really just biding my time until Guild Wars 2 comes out. I just log in to raid and that's pretty much it. I'm big on PVP and dynamic combat systems (the only reason I'm still playing AOC is the combo system. That's really all it has going for it), so GW2 has been on my radar for a while. My friends are trying to get me to play TERA, but I'm not too impressed by what I'm seeing out of that game. ArchAge looks pretty good just because of the ship/house/castle building and naval battles. Might give that a look when it comes to the states.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    I played the first Guild Wars i wasnt that big of a fan of it. Guild Wars 2 does look really dope tho. If TERA doesnt pan out too well for me ill probably either go to WoW or find some F2P to play until Secret World or something else that looks bad ass. Thing i hear about Tera tho is there isnt a whole lot of raids but im sure they will add stuff in patches and expansions. im hearing the korean version is already a bit different than our version. I like having to team up with people tho doing big things ? wild.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I use to play Planet Side ? was ? .
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    SOE is making planet side 2 here in a year or more. you gonna be lookin for that?
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SOE is making planet side 2 here in a year or more. you gonna be lookin for that?

yup I heard it might be free to play though so i dont know if it will be the same.... SMH at PS still being 15 a month
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks kzzl. i checked into Aion and SWTOR already, people have been saying that SWTOR was really good in the beginning but got boring. didnt have a lot of replay value for a lot of folks. Ive been hearing a lot of good things about TERA so far, the only negative thing is the end game. Like theres not a lot of Raids or something. with the "real time combat" is that like button mashing or something? But like i said i love Groups/Guild/Raids all the cooperative ? . Were you soloing most the time in TERA?

Usually, in MMO's when an npc attacks it's pre-deteremined by the game if it hits or not. You know how an opponent swings while you're running away, it sometimes still gets registered as a successful hit? Tera doesn't do that. If you dodged it, you dodge it. If you swing and miss, you missed.