New Lupe Fiasco Single: Around My Way + Lupe's Response to Pete Rock

Options

Comments

• georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like Lupe's song, but he kind of shot himself in the with this one. I can see people being mad at him ripping off "TROY".If it's a question of originality, then I don't really get the hate because it's basically a rip of a beat that samples another song.
  • vslyke
    vslyke Members Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If its an homage, you clear it with Pete Rock. Lupe obviously didn't.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CJVisuals wrote: »
    I also think the beat is untouchable, but it's a sample at the end of the day. Tom Scott and The California Dreamers created the original song that Pete Rock sampled, and if they got mad at him back when TROY came out, they'd look bitter as hell. Instead of going at Lupe, just use it as an opportunity to bring awareness to TROY for a new generation, because the comments on YouTube are about NBA Street Vol 2 haha

lmao yeh definitely remember that track getting used in that game
    damn throwback
  • georgia boi
    Options
    vslyke wrote: »
    If its an homage, you clear it with Pete Rock. Lupe obviously didn't.

I agree with this. If he didn't clear this up with Pete Rock, then it would be disrespect on Lupe's part because it's an obvious rip of "TROY" even though Lupe has some alterations that distinguish it a little bit.
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I C/S pete rock, he doesn't have to like what lupe did but....

the original song was sampled from Tom Scott, and the Beginning of the End, #original music my ass

that ? Pete Rock crying as if he made the song from scratch, #original music my ass .

If this was Wale or Drake ? like that, ? would of been calling this generation soft.

If Pete Rock ? ass filled violated, he should of kept the beat to himself.

Lupe Did This BEat Justice,

all u hoes could wack, no sign, or give a real ? feelings. But the real has just been spoken.

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Its cold cause its a top 10 Hip Hop beat first and foremost.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    who knows... im sure he had to get it cleared from somewhere. shout out to Pete Rock for a classic but idgaf Lupe was spittin and did it justice. ? wanted hip hop so he jumped on one of the most beloved hip hop beats in Troy. remember sampling is hip hop so....
  • Beanie_Sigel
    Beanie_Sigel Members Posts: 7
    Options
    I ? with the boy Lupe but he should know not to touch a classic like Troy. I got respect for my dawg Pete Rock. Real recognize real. You know how we do it out in Philly.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ? with the boy Lupe but he should know not to touch a classic like Troy. I got respect for my dawg Pete Rock. Real recognize real. You know how we do it out in Philly.

@Beanie_Sigel how you feel about your phili ? cassidy and freeway beefin on the IC?

• loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hip hop is based on taking elements of other music and making it yours, so remakes are very much hip hop.

I don't get the problem and this ain't bad. Nobody owns samples except the original maker.

Much respect to Pete Rock though.

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    This song is alright. But I just dont agree with Lupe not even trying to talk to Pete Rock about this. Lupe been on some ? boy ? lately.
  • Beanie_Sigel
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »

@Beanie_Sigel how you feel about your phili ? cassidy and freeway beefin on the IC?

Yo ? that Cassidy kid for goin at my brother Free. He ain't been ? , especially after his car accident. Let me tell you the story about that too, me and my State Property brothers were in the club one night when we seen his ? ass talkin ? about us in the corner. So we swarm on his ass like we some Wu Tang Killa Bees, and we had a young Meek with us there cause you know he wants to learn the game from the Philly ? himself, plus he wanted some beard tips from Free. Anyway, we get his ass outside and he starts runnin like the ? he is, on the phone to swizzy tryin to get him to beg for cassidy's life but we ain't ? with swizz's wackass either. so cass hops in his car and speeds off like a ? and ended up getting in that accident cause we had him so shook. im tellin ya dont ? with us philly dudes. we run these streets
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Beanie_Sigel how you feel about ya ? jay doing a concert in ya backyard and not including you?
  • Beanie_Sigel
    Options
    @Beanie_Sigel how you feel about ya ? jay doing a concert in ya backyard and not including you?

Nah I'm gon be there. Don't get it twisted. I'll be the dressing room ? beyonce and leaving condoms in Blue Ivy's babyseat. I'll give Jay a taste of his own medicine, some karma Philly style ya know?
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    skooby2315 wrote: »
    This song is alright. But I just dont agree with Lupe not even trying to talk to Pete Rock about this. Lupe been on some ? boy ? lately.

yeah he been acting weird as hell from the beats to the O'Reilly factor to random tangents at concerts. Its almost like he was like "yall want me to stop doing euro beats well ima just disrespectfully hop on a goat hip hop beat".

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »

Yo ? that Cassidy kid for goin at my brother Free. He ain't been ? , especially after his car accident. Let me tell you the story about that too, me and my State Property brothers were in the club one night when we seen his ? ass talkin ? about us in the corner. So we swarm on his ass like we some Wu Tang Killa Bees, and we had a young Meek with us there cause you know he wants to learn the game from the Philly ? himself, plus he wanted some beard tips from Free. Anyway, we get his ass outside and he starts runnin like the ? he is, on the phone to swizzy tryin to get him to beg for cassidy's life but we ain't ? with swizz's wackass either. so cass hops in his car and speeds off like a ? and ended up getting in that accident cause we had him so shook. im tellin ya dont ? with us philly dudes. we run these streets

damn so that ? was yall back in 06 who had cassidy on his death bed cot damn...interesting story tho wonder if meek will have a song like tony story talking bout when he rolled up with yall like.

"Pre maddona hustler blowing that money fast, beans and free approached him to whoop that ass. Cass looking scared said "be easy b" it was too late his fate lied in state property. ? forgives but them mean philly ? don't. Beans said "you think you run philly but you really don't" cass hit his phone to call up his boy swiss beans saw him dialing and that boy was ? "

or some ? like that
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree that the beat is just too much, but I also feel as if these dudes like Pete Rock are not relevant until they can mention someone relevant.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a sucker for this beat. I like to see it back in the limelight. But Pete Rock hating it kinda ruins it.

*goes back to the original*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiOcVWQY2bc
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo the story behind the recording of TROY is so touching although he did
    His thing the beat jack wasnt necessary.... ? its not like Soundtrakk and them cant lace him w dope ?
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Beat controversy aside, Lupe's 2nd and 3rd verse were fire.
  • georgia boi
    Options
    I C/S pete rock, he doesn't have to like what lupe did but....

the original song was sampled from Tom Scott, and the Beginning of the End, #original music my ass

that ? Pete Rock crying as if he made the song from scratch, #original music my ass .

If this was Wale or Drake ? like that, ? would of been calling this generation soft.

If Pete Rock ? ass filled violated, he should of kept the beat to himself.

Lupe Did This BEat Justice,

all u hoes could wack, no sign, or give a real ? feelings. But the real has just been spoken.

Exactly. It's like saying Nas should've spit on another beat besides the one the Trackmasters laced him w/ for "If I Ruled The World" because it's basically Whodini's "Friends". Diddy jacked Grandmaster Flash & Furious Five's "The Message" which is also one of the greatest rap songs in Hip Hop history for "Can't Nobody Hold Me Down"
  • Gooner
    Gooner Members Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pete Rocks reaction sorta ruins this song for me...Lupe shud hav approached him b4 doing this
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gooner wrote: »
    Pete Rocks reaction sorta ruins this song for me...Lupe shud hav approached him b4 doing this

I feel the same way. I thought he would atleast let him know that he was thinkin bout touchin the beat.
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options