LL CooL J 'G.O.A.T' Album Appreciation

water ur seeds
water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in The Reason

Comments

• Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of LL's best songs are on here. Highly slept on album, and for good reason... those ladies tracks ruined the album, they sounded forced. Nonetheless, LL's best post-2000 album.

A bonus track, but dope nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsZWa7J49nE
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    Some of LL's best songs are on here. Highly slept on album, and for good reason... those ladies tracks ruined the album, they sounded forced. Nonetheless, LL's best post-2000 album.

This is one of my fav tracks. This is the one where DJ Scratch did a Premier type beat better than Premier LMAO
  • water ur seeds
    Lab Baby wrote: »

yo that was a classic, used play that joint a full volume and screw my face up like thats the ? ! lol 'ask russell simmons you put him up in that sky scrapper' hahaha does have premo feel to it haha
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That ? went hard as ? .. a couple of duds on there but this ? was criminally slept on
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    Great album, didn't even knock the ladies tracks to be honest, I think LL has always had that in his locker following I Need Love…

Always loved GOAT as a track and it did pretty much stem the saying online from my memories…

Not a classic, but a memorable release. Definitely one I bumped heavily…
  • water ur seeds
    edited June 2012
    @ ruff

yeah i give uncle l a pass for any ladies tracks, he does it in a certain style that you think thats some g ? lol

yo i think the first time i ever heard the words GOAT was on this game lol

_-Muhammad-Ali-Heavyweight-Boxing-Sega-Megadrive-_.jpg
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited June 2012
    CS, I still play tracks off dat album on da reg. Dat joint wit carl thomas is one of my fav songs from da ? .
    This joint was still ill too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIHz3V_r044
  • water ur seeds
    shame theres not much appreciation for this joint
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Queens Is" and "Ill Bomb" were my ? in college. Love this album, this was his last good album, everything after was weaker and weaker by the album. This was LL's answer to the hard core 90's era. He kinda started it with "Mr. Smith" but this was the album that really went hard. I give it 4 Mics easily and again is one of his best albums. Funny he titled it G.O.A.T. which is now a slang in the Hip Hop world. Yes, LL. You are one of the GOATS, he's Top 10 for sure.
  • Mr. Caesar
    Mr. Caesar Members Posts: 80
    edited June 2012
    G.O.A.T. was the last really good album LL made. I liked the way he balanced the radio and street songs throughout that album. Too bad his last few joints haven't been this tight.
  • moedays
    moedays Members Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was the Last LL album I purchased. I still got it too.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Want to know an ironic fact about this album. It's LL's 8th LP and it's the only album he ever had that went #1 on the Billboard 200 chart. Crazy. I wish "Shut Em Down" made it on the LP, it came out during that era on the "Any Given Sunday" Track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3UD4ufklu4
  • water ur seeds
    "Queens Is" and "Ill Bomb" were my ? in college. Love this album, this was his last good album, everything after was weaker and weaker by the album. This was LL's answer to the hard core 90's era. He kinda started it with "Mr. Smith" but this was the album that really went hard. I give it 4 Mics easily and again is one of his best albums. Funny he titled it G.O.A.T. which is now a slang in the Hip Hop world. Yes, LL. You are one of the GOATS, he's Top 10 for sure.

Yeah you right on with that, funny think is I was in my last few months of highschool when this came out, and my maths teacher used to get it in back the day to LL in Uni etc, I had the cd in school and he saw it, and was like LL Cool J that brings back memories, thinking LL was still on his smooth ? , so I lent him the cd, when he gave it back he was like, 'Im not feeling it its too ? , I liked LL because he was gangster' lol
    Want to know an ironic fact about this album. It's LL's 8th LP and it's the only album he ever had that went #1 on the Billboard 200 chart. Crazy. I wish "Shut Em Down" made it on the LP, it came out during that era on the "Any Given Sunday" Track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3UD4ufklu4

yo thats mad, didnt know that, He sold trillion records and never hit no1? madness... like 'drop it likes its hot' being snoops first number 1... that 'shut em down' is fire, flow is crazy as fck on that ?
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah ? slept on this one hard....this was LL's last good album after that everything else was trash
  • hnic1978
    hnic1978 Members Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was when Canibus tested his nuts and ? forgot two things.....LL can REALLY rap and battle rapping was one of his specialties. Killed Canibus with Ripper Strikes Back and laid him to rest with Where I Belong. My Favorite LL album
  • water ur seeds
    hnic1978 wrote: »
    This was when Canibus tested his nuts and ? forgot two things.....LL can REALLY rap and battle rapping was one of his specialties. Killed Canibus with Ripper Strikes Back and laid him to rest with Where I Belong. My Favorite LL album

He took shots at Bis on the album to 'Fck Canibus I bodieD him last year'

'As far as Canibus go, my man is hittin' his ex-broad
    I'm getting head from his new piece while 20 gang-bangers applaud,
    You came up with that ? , some heads sucked it up,
    Then you dropped that garbage album and totally ? it up,
    I coulda told ya I knew your moms from the after-hours spot, when I used to be up in Canada
    With the dreads on a black block, before you ? rode The Lost Boyz
    and took it to Jersey,
    But being the man I am I tried to show ya mercy,
    I coulda told the World the way ya label hates your guts
    And how me and Wyclef, got together to set you up
    And how he gave me half your budget, don't believe me look it up
    Ya A&R promotion ? , they helped me hook it up

I hate to be responsible, for destroying your career
    A one-hit wonder, huh no Wonder you disappeared,
    I coulda told the world you get your lyrics from the internet
    Then spit 'em word for word like you really a rap vet,
    How you take metaphors from books and put 'em in your rhyme,
    And how you really from Canada And you been frontin' all this time
    I heard your second album, that ? is garbage too
    LL Cool J and I did this to you
    On that note he said
    "Yo L, you the man", I said peace, one love
    And Drove off in the Lex Land'

LOL
  • hnic1978
    hnic1978 Members Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hnic1978 wrote: »

He took shots at Bis on the album to 'Fck Canibus I bodieD him last year'

'As far as Canibus go, my man is hittin' his ex-broad
    I'm getting head from his new piece while 20 gang-bangers applaud,
    You came up with that ? , some heads sucked it up,
    Then you dropped that garbage album and totally ? it up,
    I coulda told ya I knew your moms from the after-hours spot, when I used to be up in Canada
    With the dreads on a black block, before you ? rode The Lost Boyz
    and took it to Jersey,
    But being the man I am I tried to show ya mercy,
    I coulda told the World the way ya label hates your guts
    And how me and Wyclef, got together to set you up
    And how he gave me half your budget, don't believe me look it up
    Ya A&R promotion ? , they helped me hook it up

I hate to be responsible, for destroying your career
    A one-hit wonder, huh no Wonder you disappeared,
    I coulda told the world you get your lyrics from the internet
    Then spit 'em word for word like you really a rap vet,
    How you take metaphors from books and put 'em in your rhyme,
    And how you really from Canada And you been frontin' all this time
    I heard your second album, that ? is garbage too
    LL Cool J and I did this to you
    On that note he said
    "Yo L, you the man", I said peace, one love
    And Drove off in the Lex Land'

LOL

Instant DEATH...Ether before ether
  • Fairfax
    Fairfax Members Posts: 41 ✭✭
    I bought this album when it came out and returned it to tower records, the only good song on the album is the intro.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    I bought it the day it dropped very dope album. That song with prodigy was hard and Ill bomb was my ? .
  • curtis75black
    curtis75black Members Posts: 606
    This album is still the ? today !! Every track on there besides "Hello" with that annoying chick Amil was banging !! People thought after that battle with Canibus it was over for him. If you noticed every song he dropped after that battle was nice: Shut Em Down, Deepest Bluest ( Peep the Lyrics), Say What (Violator cd), Incredible off Keith Murray's ? . Uncle L was blazing at that moment before the GOAT cd dropped. I expected more singles nonetheless.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of Uncle L's last raw albums..I liked it.

And yes, James Todd Smith is one of the G.O.A.Ts in Hip Hop.