After Jay-Z The King of NY Is.......?

Options

Comments

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    ? from BK, Or BX was'nt showing Cam Love when he had the city On Lock????

? from other boroughs didn't ? with Max???

Rakim wasn't considered the king???? have u listen to when these old heads discuss there younger days???

3 name always pop up
    Rakim
    Kane
    Krs 1

guess u aint read where i said "more than likely" in other words most of the time not all of the time.

and also like i said ? really dont like biggin up a rapper from another borough, but would rather show love a rapper from the city (as is Cam) than one from out of town.

like i said Rakim is before my time, but like u said when u he them older folks talk they do mention those names mention as the Goat,but King of Ny Title seems to be from rappers from the 90 on wards... im a just leave it on that dont want to drag this on

and Max wasnt that big over the city just sayin
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Its crazy to watch New Yorkers have this debate. From the outside looking in I would pick either A$AP or Maino. Why?
    Maino is putting out the best music out of all the O.G.'s in NY. Even Hov. But it seems NY puts him on Lil Cease status. A$AP because he's not the typical Biggie, Jay-Z, Nas, or Camron clone. Yea he pays homage to the south, but people gotta realize he's a product of the Crunk/ Screw era of hip hop.

Maino is Trash.... Asap dont care about being King of NY he only cares about Asap Mob and Harlem...

What?!?!

Maino makes better music than French Montana. Hi Hater, All The Above, & That Could Be Us are good singles. Maino takes care of his fans with mixtapes and albums. N.I.G.G.E.R. dropped how long ago? BP3 dropped how long ago? Yall putting the game in the hands of "Mr. Drop a album every 3 or 4 years" ass ? .
  • KeepinItHundred
    KeepinItHundred Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    Options
    again, rap wise ny isn't a kingdom anymore. it's in ruins. ruins don't have kings. there's no king of ny anymore.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay King if not Jay than like i said its Nas after that it's only a certain few who maybe might be able to call themselves that

(in no order)

50 - cant deny dude as much as he's hated
    Cam - One of the most popular, trendsetters of the early 00's
    Ghost - that dude but isnt the most popular
    Kiss - he from Yonkers so idk)

lasted i check yonkers is right by Bronx

NewYork is more then just the 5 boroughs,

NewYorkStateCountyMap.gif

Jay King if not Jay than like i said its Nas after that it's only a certain few who maybe might be able to call themselves that

(in no order)

50 - cant deny dude as much as he's hated
    Cam - One of the most popular, trendsetters of the early 00's
    Ghost - that dude but isnt the most popular
    Kiss - he from Yonkers so idk)

was DMX from Yonkers as well?

google say Baltimore, Maryland, raised in Yonkers

X is from Yonkers.

When folks say King of NY they mostly are speaking of NYC not NYS like was discussed in the other thread.

I always thought he was from Yonkers, Google was the one saying he was born elsewhere but raised in Y.O (shrugs)

if a rapper was to come out of Albany, and have NY on lock, he wouldn't be the king of NY???????????????

lasted i check Rakim is from Long Island, L.I is not a part of the city.

you gotta be from the 5 boroughs, Mt. Vern/Yonkers/ (maybe New ROchelle), or Long Island. Thats how it works.

Ain't no Albany rapper gon be king of new york. if you include upstate, you might as well include NJ and CT
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its crazy to watch New Yorkers have this debate. From the outside looking in I would pick either A$AP or Maino. Why?
    Maino is putting out the best music out of all the O.G.'s in NY. Even Hov. But it seems NY puts him on Lil Cease status. A$AP because he's not the typical Biggie, Jay-Z, Nas, or Camron clone. Yea he pays homage to the south, but people gotta realize he's a product of the Crunk/ Screw era of hip hop.

Maino is Trash.... Asap dont care about being King of NY he only cares about Asap Mob and Harlem...

What?!?!

Maino makes better music than French Montana. Hi Hater, All The Above, & That Could Be Us are good singles. Maino takes care of his fans with mixtapes and albums. N.I.G.G.E.R. dropped how long ago? BP3 dropped how long ago? Yall putting the game in the hands of "Mr. Drop a album every 3 or 4 years" ass ? .

Maino Can NOT Rap... Yea u like his microwavable "I'm from BK i been to Jail" ass music but its still wack. Nas a GOAT so he doesnt need to put out music every 3 weeks to get ppl ear.

Nobody cares about Maino in NY or anywhere else in the world. He's on the same level of Red Cafe, Mims and Lil Mama. And all three had better songs then him.
  • Turfaholic
    Options

What?!?!

Maino Can NOT Rap... Yea u like his microwavable "I'm from BK i been to Jail" ass music but its still wack. Nas a GOAT so he doesnt need to put out music every 3 weeks to get ppl ear.

Nobody cares about Maino in NY or anywhere else in the world. He's on the same level of Red Cafe, Mims and Lil Mama. And all three had better songs then him.

What?!?!

Sheesh. Yall ? be trippin out there. typical BK rapper is a Biggie or Jay clone. I.E. Fred Da Godson.
    But ? , I check for Maino. ? puts out dope ? . Im done with this thread though.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

What?!?!

What?!?!

Sheesh. Yall ? be trippin out there. typical BK rapper is a Biggie or Jay clone. I.E. Fred Da Godson.

maino got like one nice song
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options

What?!?!

What?!?!

Fred Da Godson is from Harlem so.... I have no clue what ur talking about. And Maino is Trash...

Jim Jones>>>>>>>>>>Maino

I like Jimmy but he a wack Rapper and Maino is worst.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Keepitonehundred that is very true. NY is just another place now. Lol @ Maino being good at making songs. ? think that he can run the music scene off of image alone
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options

What?!?!

What?!?!

Fred Da Godson is from Harlem so.... I have no clue what ur talking about. And Maino is Trash...

Jim Jones>>>>>>>>>>Maino

Fred Da Godson is from The Bronx. I cosign the rest though.

FRED_DA_GODSONREMO_THE_HITMAKERCHARLIE_CLIPSDNA-front-large.jpg
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options

What?!?!

What?!?!

Jim Jones>>>>>>>>>>Maino

Figured it was Uptown. He be in Harlem like CRAZY. I just seen him the other day.
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    maino has some decent songs check out his latest mixtape
  • Turfaholic
    Options

What?!?!

What?!?!

maino got like one nice song

Hi Hater, Hi Hater (remix), All Of The Above, That Could Be Us
    And his last mixtape was slept on IMO.

keyword: IMO

but yall are allowed to your thoughts

• Gen. Stasia
    Options
    Red Cafe's Fly Together>>>>>>>> All Maino songs
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    What yall think about the asap movement
  • Turfaholic
    Options

What?!?!

What?!?!

Jim Jones>>>>>>>>>>Maino

From my pov he does the typical ? riding/paying homage ? too many NY artist do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evxu23Co1fk
  • DMTxTHC
    edited June 2012
    Options

What?!?!

What?!?!

Jim Jones>>>>>>>>>>Maino

There's an official video for this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjHBHo48ckk

...and I don't see how paying homage is a negative thing. Plus Jay-Z is the most sampled rapper (along with Biggie) e.g. Bring Em Out by T.I. and I'm A Hustler by Cassidy. Funny you mentioning paying homage though. Fred bit a rhyme from Rakim.

Lender:
    "I came through the door, I said it before/ I'll never let the mic magnetize me no more/ but it's biting me, fighting me, inviting me to rhyme/ I can't hold it back i'm looking for the line"-Rakim, Make Em Clap To This.

Borrower:
    "I came through the door, I said it before/ I'll never let the mic magnetize me no more/ 'cause it's biting me, fighting me, inviting me to rhyme/ I can't hold it back i'm looking for the line"-Fred, So Crazy.
  • DMTxTHC
    Options

I'm all for it. It's good to see another NY-based movement. A$AP Rocky collaborated with Swizz on Street Knock, that vid gets some play on MTV Jams. I just hope members of A$AP Mob reaches out to other rappers from the Tri-State.

Goldie peaked at #81 on Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs thus far, Peso peaked at #75.
  • Turfaholic
    Options

What?!?!

What?!?!

Jim Jones>>>>>>>>>>Maino

...and I don't see how paying homage is a negative thing. Plus Jay-Z is the most sampled rapper (along with Biggie) e.g. Bring Em Out by T.I. and I'm A Hustler by Cassidy. Funny you mentioning paying homage though. Fred bit a rhyme from Rakim.

Lender:
    "I came through the door, I said it before/ I'll never let the mic magnetize me no more/ but it's biting me, fighting me, inviting me to rhyme/ I can't hold it back i'm looking for the line"-Rakim, Make Em Clap To This.

Borrower:
    "I came through the door, I said it before/ I'll never let the mic magnetize me no more/ 'cause it's biting me, fighting me, inviting me to rhyme/ I can't hold it back i'm looking for the line"-Fred, So Crazy.

There's nothing wrong with paying homage, but from my perspective, at 1 point there was too many new acts reapeating the same broken record "Jay-Z & Biggie are my biggest influences, I wanna be like them or I model my style after them" Vado, Cam, & J.R. Writer all spit alike IMO. The NY sound was becoming too redundant to me as a outsider.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

I'm all for it. It's good to see another NY-based movement. A$AP Rocky collaborated with Swizz on Street Knock, that vid gets some play on MTV Jams. I just hope members of A$AP Mob reaches out to other rappers from the Tri-State.

Goldie peaked at #81 on Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs thus far, Peso peaked at #75.

cosign, I think Ferg is nice, but they need to put in work
  • DMTxTHC
    Options

What?!?!

What?!?!

Jim Jones>>>>>>>>>>Maino

Lender:

Borrower:

There's nothing wrong with paying homage, but from my perspective, at 1 point there was too many new acts reapeating the same broken record "Jay-Z & Biggie are my biggest influences, I wanna be like them or I model my style after them" Vado, Cam, & J.R. Writer all spit alike IMO. The NY sound was becoming too redundant to me as a outsider.

I agree. The NY-Rap scene did become a lil stagnant. The G-Unit movement didn't help either. Being that 50 rarely worked with any NY/East Coast rappers and producers, and tried to destroy the four biggest NY Rap crews (Murder Inc, D-Block, Terror Squad and Dipset) and beefed with Jay, Nas and Puff.

...and yeah, they spit alike when it comes to subject matter, but JR Writer ain't ? with Vado or Cam when it comes to skill. Btw Speaking In Tongues by Vado and Cam was a minor hit.
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    Red Cafe's Fly Together>>>>>>>> All Maino songs

I'll co-sign that just cause Ryan Leslie laced that track. He's from a town a hour away from the Bay Area. Stockton CA. I lived wheres hes from. He made it from a ? ass town. He grew up in the suburb part of it, but as a whole. That town is the slums. He's wanna the few dudes I look up to music wise.
  • vslyke
    vslyke Members Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas. Jay & him are 1A and 1B. After that, its a LONG drop off to Fab.
  • ItsBboy!
    ItsBboy! Members Posts: 398 ✭✭✭
    Options
    People who say NY fell off & the title doesn't matter are most likely outsiders so lemme explain… That title is what you give to the most popular, relevant, & successful rapper from the area. How big of a player NY still is in the game has no bearing who the best MC is.

& lol at dude who said the KONY is the "nicest" rapper. It's plenty of nice rappers workin at Mickey D's & livin in they momma basement in NY. Relevance & success have to be a factor.

The KONY could definitely come from Long Island, or Yonkers, Mt Vernon to. That area collectively referred to as lower NY is all of a similar culture.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    HERE SOME of the emcee's who hold that Crown of King of NY

Melle Mel

Grandmaster Caz

Kool Moe Dee

Kurtis Blow

Busy Bee

Run (form RUN DMC)

Rakim