Del & Parallel Thought: Attractive Sin Drops 19th June / New Mixtape Drops - WCA

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in The Essence
Before checking the thread, Del recently dropped WCA Limited II Fela (Mixtape). You can download it by clicking the link…

Now onto more momentous things:
20120406-ATTRACTIVESIN.jpg

Tracklist:
1. On Momma’s House
2. Ownership
3. Different Guidelines
4. Charlie Brown
5. Activated Sludge
6. Apply It & See
7. 1520 Sedgewick
8. Get To Drillin
9. Blow Your Mind
10. Shows Over
11. Front Like You Know
Attractive Sin is the latest blend of Parallel Thought’s East Coast production and Del’s legendary West Coast style. Parallel Thought, a group that has been quietly releasing music for the past ten years with emcee notables such as Tame One, C-Rayz Walz, M.F. Doom, and most recently, the Alabama group G-Side, pays tribute to the likes of Ice Cube and The Bomb Squad’s Amerikka’s Most Wanted with the prolific Sir DZL’s Attractive Sin.

RapReviews.com have managed to get their hands on 'Attractive Sin'; their review is listed below:
If I could get away with a two sentence review, this would be the first one. The other one would be "This is a brilliant album - go out and buy it when it drops on June 19th." No? That won't cut it? Well ? it then. Let me start out by pointing out this is the lineal successor to the "Parallel Uni-Verses" album from 2009, although this time Del is not collaborating with Tame One. That's not due to any animosity or ill will that I'm aware of, but if you can attribute it to anything it's that both artists have multiple irons in the fire right now. Del could even wind up dropping a sequel to "Deltron 3030" album before this one sees an official release. The album I have now sounds done though, and there aren't even any "for promotional use only" drops on it. (Please don't ask me to rip you a copy though; it's watermarked, and I wouldn't anyway.)
"Attractive Sin" is billed by the one-sheet that came with the promo as "legendary West Coast style" meets "Parallel Thought's East Coast production." That's accurate, but grossly understates the credentials of both artists involved. P Thought is fairly slept on in the industry today - he may not have the big name of Statik Selektah, Alchemist or Primo, but he's laced beats for some of the most lyrically adept cats in the game. That includes the aforementioned Tame, MF DOOM and C-Rayz Walz just to name a few. And as the producer of record for "Parallel Uni-Verses," it should already be clear what he's capable of even if you don't know his name - his beats would get 4 out of 5 mics in The Source (even back when that hailed a hip-hop classic).

Del the Funky Homosapien's list of credentials is even longer: founding member of the Hieroglyphics, auteur of a dozen albums, and a man who was still as dope after a eight year hiatus if not more so. His flow is incredibly free form - following a line of a beat but rhyming when and where he wants to do so in a method that only SEEMS random. There doesn't appear to be any kind of producer he can't drop a hip-hop classic with, whether it's the members of his own Hiero fam, his own self-production, or even "virtual bands" like Damon Albarn's cartoon collaboration with Jamie Hewlett called Gorillaz. More people know the phrase "Dr. Bombay" from his song of the same name than for the TV warlock from Bewitched in the 1960's. And as rappers come he's unapologetically ferocious in his "keep-it-true-or-? -YOU" attitude, as exhibited in songs like "1520 Sedgewick" on this album:

"Okay I got some ? to express
Jump off my chest like a skydiver
Right into the fire, won't perspire
First off, all you half-ass writers, you're FIRED!
Retired and laid to rest DZL taste this test, ? you ain't the best
You imitate straight down to the flesh, style and dress
but can't get it correct!
Sir DZL, the boy's a mess
Poison deployed and set
right with the cheese
Then I'm off in the night with a knife up my sleeve
Slicing thieves..."

Imitators and clones should now consider themselves warned. (He informed you thusly.) If that's not enough notice, consider this - the very first song on the album is "On Momma's House" and he doesn't even mention the title ONCE in the song. He doesn't need to either. It should be patently clear that he takes his life and his hip-hop craft so seriously, that's what he'd put it on. It's not just "that's on my life" or "that's on everything" when stating what he'd risk - he's so cocksure he can't lose he'd put it on his MOMMA. And there's no reason to believe he will when you listen to him.

"+Life Is Too $hort+ so don't waste it
Learn to tie your shoelaces before you take steps
Wait just a second to see if it even makes sense
Fake hoes, they choose me but they foolish
First off, ain't no funds cause it's few and
far between so you start to see
how dumb ? ? in cars can be
But ? it, cause it got to get'cha like gimme
If you're caught out there, well game is taught there
Not at all fair and that's fair enough
Cause when I get my fingers on the clutch, eat my dust;
mushrooms, her-on and thizz
hubba rocks, ice, and prescription cannabis"

Del declares himself kin to almost everybody in the course of the song: "Asians, Mexicans, Filipinos, Vietnamese, Japanese, a few white people, Samoans, nerds, jocks, prep stoners/a few ? like me gettin they flow on." Last album around that was Tame One, but this time he's entirely on his own, and though Tame was an able and capable rapper who could hang bar for bar over Parallel's beats "Attractive Sin" isn't less attractive for him not being here. Del seems fired up on every song - because even when he declares that the "Show's Over" he still comes back for one more track on "Front Like Ya Know," where he is clearly amused by himself and happy to sing the hook of his own song. Whether as himself or his thinly disguised alter ego Sir DZL, Del is in a world all his own, only needing the smallest amount of help to get you to travel into it. Parallel's help isn't small though, it's LARGE. So like I said at the beginning, "This is a brilliant album - go out and buy it when it drops on June 19th."

Music Vibes: 8.5 of 10 Lyric Vibes: 9 of 10 TOTAL Vibes: 8.5 of 10

Extremely nice review… looking forward to this…

I'll update the thread as and when necessary…

Thoughts?

Comments

• satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yea props i downloaded the Del mixtape last week i think but havent check it out yet as far as this other album. im mos def gonna check it out.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    yea props i downloaded the Del mixtape last week i think but havent check it out yet as far as this other album. im mos def gonna check it out.

You had a chance to check it out yet? Looking forward to hearing it. Probably check it out at the weekend..
  • satyrone
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    satyrone wrote: »

You had a chance to check it out yet? Looking forward to hearing it. Probably check it out at the weekend..

still havent heard it yet i keep forgeting to put it in my itouch lol. but itll prolly go in this weekend.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Just got this album. Im a pretty big fan of Del's older material. His new stuff not so much. I hated his last album tbh, but so far this ones dope! Yall should check it out i think it was just released. Just waiting for that Deltron 2 now!

Del_x_Parallel_Thought-Attractive_Sin_LP_art.jpg

1. On Momma's House

2. Ownership

3. Different Guidelines

4. Charlie Brown

5. Activated Sludge

6. Apply It & See

7. 1520 Sedgewick

8. Get To Drillin

9. Blow Your Mind

10. Shows Over

11. Front Like You Know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NttKLzUvSHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D4sOt50tjI&feature=relmfu

Beats are DOPE
  • satyrone
    Options
    ill check it out. you didnt like Golden Era tho?? i thought that was dope.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wasnt a huge fan. I think this > golden era tho just off first listen.
  • hide321
    hide321 Members Posts: 22
    Options
    Dope album. His recent stuff is hit or miss, but I was feelingnboth of his recent West Coast Avengers mix tapes. This newest is his best album since his joint release with Tame One. Before that, his Funk Man album was dope. His other releases are a bit spotty (aside from his Avengers mixtapes) but lyrically his generally holding it down.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    Time to pon di download. Can't wait to hear this!!! Was hyped as soon as I saw the review from RapReviews.com.

See first post.

Props on the post @Lou Cypher!!! I'll be back with my thoughts.
  • satyrone
    Options
    i listen to the new album a few days agon and its dope as ? .