Lets discuss getting New Brakes

Options
Darkcrusader3.0
Darkcrusader3.0 Members Posts: 153
edited April 2012 in Let Me Ride
Ok, I have a 2008 w/ about 57,000 miles, ive noticed in the past 2 weeks or so that about 40-50% of the time when I break I will hear a faint squeal. Ive never gotten new brake pads since I bought the car which had like 28,000 miles on it. My assumption is that I need to get them checked , just curious to hear where everyone goes to get new brake pads and what are some national stores that I should check out. Im hoping that they are cheaper than going to a dealership, but the prices may be roughly the same

Comments

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    direct tire, or a trusted local mechanic, my pops usually will do mine tho, changing brake pads seem pretty simple and easy to learn, you just need a c clamp, but my pops bleeds them the old fashioned way which you will need another person to pump the brake pedal 3 times and hold it then you turn the bleeder screw not even half way and let the air seep out, but if your by yourself theres a pressure pump you can hook up to your master cylinder thst will force the air out, never seen one used but I heard there easy and effective.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    edited April 2012
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Darkcrusader3.0
    Darkcrusader3.0 Members Posts: 153
    Options
    im not going to do it myself, im asking what its a good national spot to have them replaced at
  • Cinco
    Cinco Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can check out a national chain like "just brakes" must cheaper than the dealership.
    look into ceramic pads for lower noise and less brake dust.
  • Bloo Q
    Bloo Q Members Posts: 377
    Options
    you need a big ass c-clamp, bungee cords to hold the caliper up, most likely a 7mm box wrench, jack, jack stand, chock blocks and at the most an hour of free time.

I came here to post something along these lines. Personally, I use a length of speaker wire to hold the caliper up. Tie one end around the spring, the other through the caliper and get to work pushing that piston (or pistons depending on the car) back with the clamp.

Oh, if it's a chrysler, chances are that box wrench will be useless. Gotta run a T45, T50, or T55 torx to get the caliper off (can't remember which size it is, it's been a minute since I've had a chrysler).
  • Got Em Shook
    Got Em Shook Members Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sometimes brakes squeal just cause...doesn't mean their going bad....but have them checked anyway just to be safe
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    changed my brake pads last week
    cost me 50 bucks, my ? who works as mechanic changed it over lunch time
  • JJ 1975
    JJ 1975 Members Posts: 336
    Options
    Hurry up and get them before you have to replace your rotars too.