Accounting

redhandedbandit
redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in Strictly Business
Anybody in here in the field of accounting? what can i do with an associate in accounting

Comments

• buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting my bachelors right now. Got one year left.
  • buttuh_b
    uolag wrote: »
    Not much..... Bookeeping is a nice start

You need a Bachelor Degree, a couple of certifications, & a few licenses in accounting to get ahead in NYC. A Master's degree would be perfect

My wifey has a Bachelor and she making 50k a year

You don't even need a Master's like that to be honest. Just the Bachelor and CPA license and you straight. If you're a logical minded person accounting is like the easiest career where you have good opportunities and can make money in.
  • Feelin_Foolay
    Feelin_Foolay Members Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    I don't know how people love accounting. I took accounting I for the second time this semester and this ? is torture. My university requires all business students to take ACCT I & II even if you're not an ACCT major so I gotta take the second part when school starts back up.

I don't really understand the point of taking accounting when im a marketing major smfh
  • buttuh_b
    I don't know how people love accounting. I took accounting I for the second time this semester and this ? is torture. My university requires all business students to take ACCT I & II even if you're not an ACCT major so I gotta take the second part when school starts back up.

I don't really understand the point of taking accounting when im a marketing major smfh

Because accounting is the language of business. You're definitely gonna need to understand those basic concepts. That's every college. I'm an accounting major and we have to take marketing classes too. That's part of the business curriculum. I'm taking a marketing class right now and ? is wack as hell to me. As an accountant I will truly have no use for this ? .

• Feelin_Foolay
    Feelin_Foolay Members Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    buttuh_b wrote: »

Because accounting is the language of business. You're definitely gonna need to understand those basic concepts. That's every college. I'm an accounting major and we have to take marketing classes too. That's part of the business curriculum. I'm taking a marketing class right now and ? is wack as hell to me. As an accountant I will truly have no use for this ? .

smh, I can understand taking the first part of the class but not the 2nd part. My professors are all african can I could barely understand them ?

But, taking a 3 hr accounting class next semester<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
  • randomStalker2
    randomStalker2 Members Posts: 128
    not much, depends on who you know.
    if you don't know anyone you'll be working at somewhere like walmart or maybe even gamestop if you're lucky.
    but if you know the right people you can be an accountant(not a very a good one though).
    i suggest you start praying like your life is on the line because you on your own from now on.
  • pennyda1
    pennyda1 Members Posts: 965 ✭✭✭✭
    nnothin at all ? i got an aa and that dnt mean ish you gotta get that b.a.....i go to UNF were yall go
  • Houston Texan
    Houston Texan Members Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a BA and MS in Accounting...working on a CPA....Making 80K Plus right now.....
  • redhandedbandit
    Appreciate the knowledge had an interview for clerk position hoping that will get me a foot in the door plan on starting to study to train myself for cpa. How difficult is the cpa exam?
  • redhandedbandit
    Also i was told if i get a good grade on cpa exam i dont have to worry about degrees
  • pennyda1
    im in my final year of college and i never heard of the cpa license or exam? is this something i should be worried about????
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sion. wrote: »
    An associates will only take you so far.... Get your CFA charter. Don't worry about the BA get the CFA charter. If you're in the field of finance/accounting or anything along those lines then surely you've heard of it. There's 3 levels you need to pass before you get the charter. You are able to take level 1 & 2 exams in a year. The level 3 exam is the toughest, not only is it multiple choice but it also has essay questions. In order to pass you need above 70% (although I think they changed it to 75%).

https://www.cfainstitute.org/pages/index.aspx

The beauty of it is, you can go anywhere in the world with it and finding employment would not be a problem. Plus the CFA bypasses all licenses in the field of finance that you would need & is favored by many international firms so you could be in Europe, China, Japan, Australia and you're good to go. The CFA charter is the gold standard, but keep in mind it is VERY tough, it's no duck walk.

Also it takes about a year and a half & in some cases 3 years to get the charter. It also costs about $1200 per exam & if you fail it $650 to retake. but again LOLOL it is VERY DIFFICULT. If you're currently in college, they do allow you to take the level 1 exam if you're in your final year (4th year or going into 4th year).

BTW this is NOT a regular license, this is a charter, it has far higher priority than a license or Bachelor degree as it satisfies international standards and laws.

why would someone doing accounting get a CFA charter

and you can't say "don't worry about the BA" cause part of the process to get a CFA charter is having a Bachelor's
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    An associates will only take you so far.... Get your CFA charter. Don't worry about the BA get the CFA charter. If you're in the field of finance/accounting or anything along those lines then surely you've heard of it. There's 3 levels you need to pass before you get the charter. You are able to take level 1 & 2 exams in a year. The level 3 exam is the toughest, not only is it multiple choice but it also has essay questions. In order to pass you need above 70% (although I think they changed it to 75%).

https://www.cfainstitute.org/pages/index.aspx

The beauty of it is, you can go anywhere in the world with it and finding employment would not be a problem. Plus the CFA bypasses all licenses in the field of finance that you would need & is favored by many international firms so you could be in Europe, China, Japan, Australia and you're good to go. The CFA charter is the gold standard, but keep in mind it is VERY tough, it's no duck walk.

Also it takes about a year and a half & in some cases 3 years to get the charter. It also costs about $1200 per exam & if you fail it $650 to retake. but again LOLOL it is VERY DIFFICULT. If you're currently in college, they do allow you to take the level 1 exam if you're in your final year (4th year or going into 4th year).

BTW this is NOT a regular license, this is a charter, it has far higher priority than a license or Bachelor degree as it satisfies international standards and laws.

why would someone doing accounting get a CFA charter

and you can't say "don't worry about the BA" cause part of the process to get a CFA charter is having a Bachelor's

I always assume that people going into account usually venture off into investment management or something close to those lines. It's well versed in a lot of areas.

@ the bolded.... yeah you right fam. My bad I got a little carried away.

nah fam

you should go into accounting if you are interested in something like auditing, budget analysis, cost analysis, tax planning, or corporate leadership as a treasurer, controller etc

if you want to invest, then get a degree in finance (or financial mathematics)..............and preferably a law degree if you want to do investment banking

an MBA with either a finance or accounting degree wouldn't hurt..............a lot of schools now combine MBAs with other degrees

CFA charters are like the CPA equivalent for finance managers............really don't need it, but it looks nice if you trying to work for somebody

for most people to do well in accounting, get a Bachelors and get ya CPA for ya state.............a lot of states require at least 150 hours before your can sit for the CPA exam

I actually have two bachelors myself and almost finished with my 1st masters..................for most cats accounting is for those who are interested in working in large firms cause that's where the big money is in that field

otherwise, you'll have to do some serious marketing and get years under your belt if you want to work for yaself with an accounting degree
  • pennyda1
    pennyda1 wrote: »
    im in my final year of college and i never heard of the cpa license or exam? is this something i should be worried about????

Not necessarily... well it really depends, what is it that you plan to do after you graduate ?

i want to work in my field my goal is to work on wall street