Welfare programs did more damage than ? in the hood

2»

Comments

• High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    janklow wrote: »
    Still think this is true in my estimation.
    but MAYBE we could bump it by adding a little more than a self co-sign?

Okay.

This video isn't specifically about black neighborhoods but is still very much relevant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgkVSRs8ADM
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one thing can cause such blight, its a witches brew of issues that caused the hoods to end up how they are a lot of them are mentioned already:
    -drugs
    -family failures
    -school failures
    -outsourcing
    -lack of well paying work
    -prison
    -death/violence

But the things I haven't seen are issues like here in Detroit where you have a major brain drain in the inner city.

Detroit has a very high dropout rate, but we also produce some decent students. They go to 4 (6) year Universities, they graduate and all that jazz but they never come back.

You also have problems with those who migrate to the suburbs looking for work or who found work, better and more affordable housing out there...these people never come back either.

When criminals are taken off the streets, they are released right back into the environment they came from. When people graduate college they see the ability to leave behind the environment they came from.
  • maestro_lungs
    maestro_lungs Members Posts: 255
    jono wrote: »
    No one thing can cause such blight, its a witches brew of issues that caused the hoods to end up how they are a lot of them are mentioned already:
    -drugs
    -family failures
    -school failures
    -outsourcing
    -lack of well paying work
    -prison
    -death/violence

But the things I haven't seen are issues like here in Detroit where you have a major brain drain in the inner city.

Detroit has a very high dropout rate, but we also produce some decent students. They go to 4 (6) year Universities, they graduate and all that jazz but they never come back.

You also have problems with those who migrate to the suburbs looking for work or who found work, better and more affordable housing out there...these people never come back either.

When criminals are taken off the streets, they are released right back into the environment they came from. When people graduate college they see the ability to leave behind the environment they came from.

Everything This Brother Just said is So True. Detroit is a Black Neighborhood on a Large Scale. All These Things led to a Dependency on Welfare (Or it did. Welfare Refom in 96 changed alot of ? , Especially Here in New York) A dependency on Welfare didn't Lead to These Things, So I'm not sure How The Programs were the One that did Damage.
  • plocc
    plocc Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm 44, and I dont know about other cities and their welfare system, but iM from Milwaukee, Wi. I've watched generations of certain families live off welfare. They used to pay more money per child here. If a woman had 8 kids the max was 1044 plus food stamps. Milwaukee was a welfare magnet in the 70's and 80's. From this came black boys who had no concept of getting a job. These boys grew up to be welfare pimps waiting on their girls to get their check on the 1st. Some girls grew up seeing their mothers have no aspirations other than having another baby without any regards to what kind of man the father would or could be. Not all people in the hood lived like this but the majority did. I was one of the few kids in my neighborhood who grew up with both parents present that worked jobs. I hated that my parents were so strict but my dad was on some Furious Styles ? and while I had to be in the crib when the street lights came on, I still spent a lot of time at friends houses which were welfare families, and it was anything goes in these homes. Back then I thought it was cool cause it seemed like they didnt have no rules. They stayed out late, smoked squares, cussed in front their mama. ? they didnt have to skip school, they didnt have to go if they didnt want to. All my homies who grew up like that are dead, have been to penitentiary are strung out, alchoholics, and homeless. Welfare had a big hand in that. This town now is like a big Gary, Ind. Especially the northside.
  • moedays
    moedays Members Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welfare didn't have parents abandoning their children, literally throwing them away like yesterdays garbage. I can't agree with the t/s statement.