how many ppl here view Buddha as 'Black'?

Options
Rock_Well
Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in R & R (Religion and Race)
So my friend chick and i was sharing understanding of diff religion in a meeting and at some point she ended up telling me the original Buddha was black.

later I google searched to see how much info i could find. Here's one of the sites I came across: http://www.nairaland.com/68677/ancient-black-Buddha

what do yall think?

Comments

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He probably was black. Ancient India was occupied by several black dynasties, like the Gupta for example. If you google, some of the oldest statues of the Buddha depict black features (lips, nose, etc.), but Buddha seems to be depicted in the likeness of his sculpters elongated ears are similar to African tradition. However, the suttas describe him as "golden" and the Buddha allegedly said himself that while he practiced paths before realization, he had starved himself for spiritual purposes, which he claimed was the wrong way to practice, and while he was starving, he described how his body was effected. His skin turned brown and black. Who knows if this is true to the Buddha's actual words? In Buddhism, it really doesn't matter what the color of his skin is.
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not that his skin tone matters in the religion, but it does seem to matter to ppl. im baffled at the sheer amount of things of ancient history being re-imagined through a euro-perspective in today's world. Never occurred to me that even ancient Buddha may have undergone this treatment.
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Yes, sadly. Personally, I believe that he was black due to the amount of information and evidence of black history and presence in ancient India and the Buddha's relationship to Hinduism and the caste system. You are also free to believe what you like because it's most likely that no one knows for sure.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    All we can do is speculate, which ultimately leads to nowheresville. His teaching was that all human beings are equal; thus, he rejected the caste system. His teaching is the most important thing and as brother Malcolm stated, I'm for truth no matter who tells it.