Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    smh @ the O.J. being short for Orenthal James
  • purpngold
    purpngold Members Posts: 7,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ATTS
    ATTS Members Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TAMPA — O.J. Murdock, a former Middleton High standout wide receiver, has died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

According to a media alert sent out by the Tampa Police Department on Monday morning, Murdock, who signed a free agent deal with the Tennessee Titans a year ago, was transported to Tampa General Hospital in critical condition. His body was found in his car in front of Middleton High School around 8:30 a.m.

An updated release said he had died at 10:43 a.m.

"This is just surprise," said former Middleton coach Harry Hubbard, adding Murdock seemed in great spirits when he ran into him at last fall's Blake-Middleton football game. "I don't know if something else is involved or not. That just knocks me off my feet."

Murdock, on injured reserve last season with the Titans after injuring his Achilles', did not report to training camp on Friday with the rest of the Titans. When asked about his absence, Coach Mike Munchak told reporters it was for "personal reasons."

Murdock, who initially landed at South Carolina after high school but was dismissed from the squad by Coach Steve Spurrier after being charged with grand theft, eventually played at Division II Fort Hays State. He had a breakout season there, compiling 1,290 receiving yards and 12 touchdowns.

As a high school senior, Murdock was ranked the nation’s 10th-ranked receiver by Rivals, and chose South Carolina over Florida. He was the Tampa Bay Times’ top bay area prospect in the Class of 2005, after catching 58 passes for 831 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior. Murdock was also a state track standout that year, winning gold in the 100 and 200 meters.

"I'm going to always remember his smile and just his warmth," said Hubbard, who coached Murdock for three seasons at Middleton. "Every time he would see me he would always have a big smile and laugh when we talked and everything. ... Truly, he was probably one of the best athletes that I've ever coached. Personally, I always remember that smile."
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sad. I havent seen any coverage on tv yet tho
  • Matt-
    Didn't Kenny McKinney ? himself? That's 2 former SC receivers who offed themselves
  • ATTS
    matt- wrote: »
    Didn't Kenny McKinney ? himself? That's 2 former SC receivers who offed themselves

yeah....kenny was from SC too........... but this OJ ? shot himself in front of his High School......was probably relieveing the glory days.....and since the titans just cut him.....it may have been tooooo much to take........
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    O.J's stay killing something.
  • Louis Cipher
    Louis Cipher Members Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

what else would it be short for?
  • sTaY_TrUe
    sTaY_TrUe Members Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A permanent solution to a temporary problem is never the answer smh. r.i.p. tho
  • Matt-
  • sTaY_TrUe
    sTaY_TrUe Members Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not when it comes to suicide
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sTaY_TrUe wrote: »
    A permanent solution to a temporary problem is never the answer smh. r.i.p. tho

actually...

• Matt-
    suicide is one of the exceptions
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

what else would it be short for?

Orange Juice
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    his brain can get examined
  • ATTS
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    his brain can get examined

unless he shot @ his brain......
    and this dude toooo young to have that concussion effect syndrome.....he was simply depressed
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cosign @numbaz.

After I turned to espn Saturday and they were talkin about Tebows "body" like some schoolgirls, I officially cancelled my espn viewership for the rest of the football season.

All of my Football info will come from NFLn, fox sports, and the Internet from now on.
  • dbrazil412
    dbrazil412 Members Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    smh @ ? killin themselves. i hate weak-minded individuals.. prob over somethin stupid like a ? .. or being 8th on the titans WR depth chart
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was final able to catch a bullet
  • ATTS
    edited July 2012
    Cosign @numbaz.

After I turned to espn Saturday and they were talkin about Tebows "body" like some schoolgirls, I officially cancelled my espn viewership for the rest of the football season.

All of my Football info will come from NFLn, fox sports, and the Internet from now on.

"they had tebow running in d rain"...smh @ that being a first take discussion........
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    I dont know what's more saddening: the fact that he committed suicide? or the fact that as a titans fan im just now hearing about him?
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y'all ? brutal. lol.

Not surprised tho, actually. These days, high school kids are practically guaranteed by coaches and the media that they'll be superstars when they're highly recruited.

And meanwhile they're giving zero ? about life AFTER or without playing pro ball.

When they fall short, the weak-minded ones will feel like they have nothing else to live for.

Some just give up on life (drugs, crime) or they just take a bullet to the dome.

*shrug. Rest in peace.

• cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭