"content'' the most overrated thing in hiphop and the biggest excuse to hate

usmarin3
usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in The Reason
WTF does content have to do with someone's ability to rap, especially when people relate to different ? for different reason. I see the word used as a crutch for the conscious/underground hiphop fans all the time when they want to argue for artist like a Mos Def, Talib,etc and i don't know why. To me what makes a rapper great is his ability to paint pictures using skills (flow,delivery,storytelling,wordplay,etc), not what he raps about per se. A great mc can make any subject matter interesting imo, be that subject be about ice, ? , cars, the struggle,politics,etc.

? need to chill with that "i have superior taste" snobbish bs.

Comments

• genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the best threads you have made
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea the rap nerds take ? way too far. I hate folks complaining about every single jay verse. like dam the ? been rapping bout shinning for 20 years now why are you complaining about it. it's what he does

or if a certain mainstream artists works with somebody they don't like i remember ppl calling the walk it out remix a fake b/c 3000 would never be on a Unk track.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Content matters.

When people make legitimate complaints about hip-hop its usually regarding the content.

It doesn't take much skill to rap about money, ? , or cars. That's why so many do it.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL

A Jay -Z fan/stan makes a thread 'bout "content" in rap music

Bravo
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    content matters to a point, but you can rap about whatever you want, as long as the lyricism is substantial. I hate when rappers cant rap
  • usmarin3
    cobbland wrote: »
    Content matters.

When people make legitimate complaints about hip-hop its usually regarding the content.

It doesn't take much skill to rap about money, ? , or cars. That's why so many do it.

LOL who do you think complains about hiphop, the same elitist ? . The average person who is not a head don't give two ? or get caught up in commercial vs underground nonsense. The average person listen to rap to be entertain, nothing more.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're ? ? .

It's not just about being able to rap. Music is a form of art so of course the content is important.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Content only matters to nasir and pac fans and ? without father figures

They are enlightened by that ? cuz they dont read or have anyone to teach them things
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "It's just different ..."

• buttuh_b
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    "It's just different ..."

Smh.
  • usmarin3
    art is subjective you ? , see that's what you snobs don't get. Subjective means, up to each persons interpretation, who the ? are you to say someone doesn't have content.
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can appreciate all types of content as long as the song is dope.

• MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so yall cool with ? rappin about suckin ? and ? ? as long as his wordplay dope?
  • buttuh_b
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    art is subjective you ? , see that's what you snobs don't get. Subjective means, up to each persons interpretation, who the ? are you to say someone doesn't have content.

So content isn't important in other genres of music either or we just holding hip hop to a lower standard?

And I'm far from a snob being that I listen to and enjoy pretty much every rapper regardless of their content.
  • usmarin3
    Mumo_X wrote: »
    My problem is why should the hiphop culture hav a GOAT who never evolved musically? How can someone be fronted GOAT when his subject matter is limited and lacks creativity?

lets see:
    Marvin Gaye
    James Brown
    Stevie Wonder
    Michael Jackson
    John Lennon
    Bob Marley
    Bill Holiday
    Fela Kuti

what do the above have in Common???

LOL at subject matter lacks creativity and limited, TWO ? WORDS THAT ARE SUBJECTIVE AND RELATIVE. See how that works snob?

There are lots of great artist beyond the artist who you listed who's music doesn't touch on the social conscious side and are still great artist (assuming that's what you were implying with your pretentious rhetoric).

• usmarin3

Some relates to it, which is what i'm getting at, people have their own taste. Who the ? are you and i to knock it?

People listen to Horrorcore, Gangsta rap about killing ? ,etc and still find ways to relate. How many people relate to killing ? and what not.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? it does matter. Its why I cannot listen to most of eminems catalog at all. Its why I don't take hood/trap rappers seriously as rappers.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some relates to it, which is what i'm getting at, people have their own taste. Who the ? are you and i to knock it?

People listen to Horrorcore, Gangsta rap about killing ? ,etc and still find ways to relate. How many people relate to killing ? and what not.

I do
  • usmarin3
    ? it does matter. Its why I cannot listen to most of eminems catalog at all. Its why I don't take hood/trap rappers seriously as rappers.
    That's why i say it's relative, the 80 million people who buys his album relate. It's a personal thing, that's why ? cannot use that content nonsense.

• P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Like I said before. Dudes like Jay-Z and etc might not talk about the negatives and all the ? up ? going on in the world, but he does talk about something people are going to relate to. The ? struggling to feed his kids, riding the city bus to his minimum wage job might not be able to relate to Jay-Z rapping about a new Ferrari, so to him he ain't talking about ? , but the black lawyer or doctor who worked hard to get where he is, who pulls up to his office in his Ferrari damn sure can relate
  • buttuh_b
    If it's subjective then how is it not important when forming an opinion? That makes no sense at all. It may not be important to you but to the people who are actually into music, content is one of the most important aspects. Especially in rap where the focal point is on lyrics and drums more than anything compared to other genres, you gon get tired of hearing a rapper talk about the same ? over and over again, hence why you listen to a variety of rappers. More versatile rappers like Nas get more burn from me because they can keep me engaged with their creativity.
  • usmarin3
    JONO

Yje one dimensional excuse is ? convenient too, how are artist like say a Mos Def, Talib, etc not one dimensional too. When do these ? ever go outside their 5 percent/Muslim style, when was the last time these dudes made a club record, banger,etc. It's cool though, they don't get that ''ONE DIMENSIONAL'' tag because are the ''superior taste'' favorite rappers.

? need to get off their high horses, hiphop has always been about duality.

LOL At you using some of the worst raps songs to make your point, there are great hiphop songs about ice, hoes, flossing,etc that still stands up this day. Franchise Boys is not a accurate representation of great commercial hiphop. Pick a Biggie song, a Jay-z song, a Snoop and Dre song, etc that still stands up 20 years later.

Ya'll need to chill out on the hyperbole, to make your point. I GET AROUND, HOW DO YOU WANT IT,etc stands up just like how DEAR MOMMA, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP till this day.
  • buttuh_b
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    Like I said before. Dudes like Jay-Z and etc might not talk about the negatives and all the ? up ? going on in the world, but he does talk about something people are going to relate to. The ? struggling to feed his kids, riding the city bus to his minimum wage job might not be able to relate to Jay-Z rapping about a new Ferrari, so to him he ain't talking about ? , but the black lawyer or doctor who worked hard to get where he is, who pulls up to his office in his Ferrari damn sure can relate

False. As a young upwardly professional I can't relate to none of the ? he talks about.

Doctors and Lawyers ain't driving maybachs. That's reserved for rich white executives of large corporation.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cobbland wrote: »
    Content matters.

LOL who do you think complains about hiphop, the same elitist ? . The average person who is not a head don't give two ? or get caught up in commercial vs underground nonsense. The average person listen to rap to be entertain, nothing more.

These aren't elitists.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/01/06/columbus-school-apologizes-for-song-lyrics.html

http://www.lemondrop.com/2009/06/26/that-s-a-rap-music-still-putting-down-women/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1548682/Obama-hits-out-at-rappers-who-degrade-women.html

I doubt this young boy is influenced by Immortal Technique or Canibus. I doubt he or his parents even know who the ? they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YDClZJLkCHg&oref=http://www.youtube.com/embed/YDClZJLkCHg