"content'' the most overrated thing in hiphop and the biggest excuse to hate

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    Like I said before. Dudes like Jay-Z and etc might not talk about the negatives and all the ? up ? going on in the world, but he does talk about something people are going to relate to. The ? struggling to feed his kids, riding the city bus to his minimum wage job might not be able to relate to Jay-Z rapping about a new Ferrari, so to him he ain't talking about ? , but the black lawyer or doctor who worked hard to get where he is, who pulls up to his office in his Ferrari damn sure can relate

False. As a young upwardly professional I can't relate to none of the ? he talks about.

Doctors and Lawyers ain't driving maybachs. That's reserved for rich white executives of large corporation.

It's not about the material possession you ? , it's about the drive, strive for success. You ? aren't on the street fighting whitey or shooting AK's in at the oppressers out here but ya'll still manage to relate to these "conscious" rappers.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I reckon millions of Jay-Z's fans aren't multi-millionaires like he is

So when does his musical "content" appease those fans?
  • usmarin3
    If it's subjective then how is it not important when forming an opinion? That makes no sense at all. It may not be important to you but to the people who are actually into music, content is one of the most important aspects. Especially in rap where the focal point is on lyrics and drums more than anything compared to other genres, you gon get tired of hearing a rapper talk about the same ? over and over again, hence why you listen to a variety of rappers. More versatile rappers like Nas get more burn from me because they can keep me engaged with their creativity.

You can judge something from a technical point of view. I don't have to relate to a movie like Godfather 2 to understand it's a well directed movie and the cinematography is flawless. After all, that's why it's called art, art should just be.

People can read a book and watch a movie for what it is, but all of a sudden ya'll need to relate to a album. Pure nonsense!
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like I said before. Dudes like Jay-Z and etc might not talk about the negatives and all the ? up ? going on in the world, but he does talk about something people are going to relate to. The ? struggling to feed his kids, riding the city bus to his minimum wage job might not be able to relate to Jay-Z rapping about a new Ferrari, so to him he ain't talking about ? , but the black lawyer or doctor who worked hard to get where he is, who pulls up to his office in his Ferrari damn sure can relate

False. As a young upwardly professional I can't relate to none of the ? he talks about.

Doctors and Lawyers ain't driving maybachs. That's reserved for rich white executives of large corporation.

You can't relate to it, but somebody can. Hell, Jay could be making music for other rappers to relate to. Ya'll need to get this idea out of your head that everybody is depressed, struggling, mad as hell, and gives a ? about the negatives going on in this country. There are happy people, there are ? with money who don't want to do ? , but spend they money, ? hoes, and act a ass. There is some kingpin hiding somewhere who can relate to whoever rapping about however many bricks he done sold.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmarin3 wrote: »

It's not about the material possession you ? , it's about the drive, strive for success. You ? aren't on the street fighting whitey or shooting AK's in at the oppressers out here but ya'll still manage to relate to these "conscious" rappers.

So anyone who says Jay-Z is one-dimensional is a conscious backpacker huh? That's what this is about usmarin3? That's a logical fallacy. You're correct, Talib and Mos and them are one-dimensional as well. That's why they are rarely discussed in the GOAT conversation-they don't deserve to be there. But when you're talking about rappers like Outkast, Nas, Ice Cube, etc.. they are well rounded artist who bring everything to the table. And you do realize there are more topics than just "money" and "conscious", you're making it seem like that's the end all be all of content. One or the other..

Jay doesn't talk much about his drive and strive. He talks about selling dope in 88, having a lot of material things, and being better than everyone else. I ain't trying to hear that ? b. If I want some real motivation for success I'll listen to a record like "Strong Will Continue".
  • buttuh_b
    If it's subjective then how is it not important when forming an opinion? That makes no sense at all. It may not be important to you but to the people who are actually into music, content is one of the most important aspects. Especially in rap where the focal point is on lyrics and drums more than anything compared to other genres, you gon get tired of hearing a rapper talk about the same ? over and over again, hence why you listen to a variety of rappers. More versatile rappers like Nas get more burn from me because they can keep me engaged with their creativity.

You can judge something from a technical point of view. I don't have to relate to a movie like Godfather 2 to understand it's a well directed movie and the cinematography is flawless. After all, that's why it's called art, art should just be.

People can read a book and watch a movie for what it is, but all of a sudden ya'll need to relate to a album. Pure nonsense!

Where in that post did I say anything about relating? I said the ? gets repetitive. If a director makes a film about the same thing 20 different times he probably isn't the greatest director. He's a "niche" director just like Tech N9ne is a "niche" rapper to you.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to bypass most of the nonsense you posted in the Titangraph and focus on your main points. For the record Kweli did make club songs, he just did it in his own way "Get By" is a club record...he works with artists like UGK, Gucci Mane etc, he diversified his albums without losing who he is.
    Franchise Boys is not a accurate
    representation of great commercial hiphop. Pick a
    Biggie song, a Jay-z song, a Snoop and Dre song,
    etc that still stands up 20 years later.

The reason Jay, BIG, Snoop & Dre are still relevant is because they have all touched on more than one subject. They didn't allow themselves to be pigeonholed into only doing certain kinds of records.
    You proved my point for me...I appreciate it.

The ? ? are listening to now won't list 20 years. You will be talking about all these jokers the same way you disregarded Dem Franchise Boyz. How hypocritical of you...I guarantee you would have defended them years ago, like you are defending the same wack ? right now.

Years ago it was D4L, and people like T/S screamed "OMGZZZ You'z nerdie nigras, need to loosten up!11"
    And now its ? them let's talk about MC such and such and in a few years it'll be "awww mc such and such aint even relebant talk about some1 else!11"

That's my whole point. I want artists to have long careers and makes tons of money and they do that by reinventing themselves and doing new things. What's hot right now won't be hot forever but truly great music and great artists are eternal.
  • buttuh_b

You can't relate to it, but somebody can. Hell, Jay could be making music for other rappers to relate to. Ya'll need to get this idea out of your head that everybody is depressed, struggling, mad as hell, and gives a ? about the negatives going on in this country. There are happy people, there are ? with money who don't want to do ? , but spend they money, ? hoes, and act a ass. There is some kingpin hiding somewhere who can relate to whoever rapping about however many bricks he done sold.

So if a rapper isn't rapping about millions it has to be about a depressed world? It's more things in the world than just being rich as hell or broke as ? . The majority of people live a regular life which are neither of these extremes. It's so many more layers in life than this limited subject matter yall feel is out there.

No one is saying there isn't a place for this type of content but you still gotta recognize it as content and an important aspect of said artist. It's ? to dismiss content as unimportant. That's like saying the organs inside your body don't matter, just what we see on the outside.
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2012
    Jay is like these rich church pastors/reverends. They get richer while their flock are in mouth gaping awe and getting poorer with each passing year
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    There is a certain uppity ass group of rap music fans who think talking about certain things makes a rapper better than another. Just like some say it takes no skill to rap about money and women, it really doesn't take much skill to watch the news or read a book and simply repeat the ? you heard/read. And we often see rappers do this ? and end up making themselves look stupid misquoting facts *See Nas' I Can for a perfect example

But there is something to be said for a rapper that can rap about more than the same 1-2 topics all the time. It shows versatility. There's nothing wrong with being good at rapping about 1 or 2 things REALLY good, too many criticize rappers for that, but there is something to be said about a rapper that can switch topics and still make a good song whether it be about women, cars, money, political, history, street ? etc...
  • usmarin3
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Jay is like these rich church pastors/reverends. They get richer while their flock are in mouth gaping awe andgetting poorer with each passing year

and what is Nas doing, like this ? ain't a millionaire living in the burbs talking about street disciple. ? ain't no street disciple, he doing neighborhood watch.
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

So if a rapper isn't rapping about millions it has to be about a depressed world? It's more things in the world than just being rich as hell or broke as ? . The majority of people live a regular life which are neither of these extremes. It's so many more layers in life than this limited subject matter yall feel is out there.

No one is saying there isn't a place for this type of content but you still gotta recognize it as content and an important aspect of said artist. It's ? to dismiss content as unimportant. That's like saying the organs inside your body don't matter, just what we see on the outside.

I'm not saying it's not important. I'm just saying it's not important to everybody.
  • buttuh_b

I'm not saying it's not important. I'm just saying it's not important to everybody.

That's fair. But T/S is arguing that content isn't important and other things are. That's his opinion but the only way he can substantiate his claim is that it's "subjective".

Basically, T/S is a Jay-Z stan and the only reason he made this thread is because people criticize Jay's content. That's it.

Content isn't important but Drake is clearly a better technical and lyrical MC than J. Cole but people dislike his content so they place J. Cole above him. Yes content isn't important.
  • buttuh_b
    Waiting for @usmarin3 to rebuke my earlier argument upon revelations that I'm not a "backpacker" and Talib isn't in my top 50.
  • *~queenbee~*
    *~queenbee~* Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    so yall cool with ? rappin about suckin ? and ? ? as long as his wordplay dope?
    Yes!

@usmarin3 WTF does content have to do with someone's ability to rap, especially when people relate to different ? for different reason. I see the word used as a crutch for the conscious/underground hiphop fans all the time when they want to argue for artist like a Mos Def, Talib,etc and i don't know why. To me what makes a rapper great is his ability to paint pictures using skills (flow,delivery,storytelling,wordplay,etc), not what he raps about per se. A great mc can make any subject matter interesting imo, be that subject be about ice, ? , cars, the struggle,politics,etc.

? need to chill with that "i have superior taste" snobbish bs.

I don't know about you all, but this seems like a big contradiction to me.
  • usmarin3

So anyone who says Jay-Z is one-dimensional is a conscious backpacker huh? That's what this is about usmarin3? That's a logical fallacy. You're correct, Talib and Mos and them are one-dimensional as well. That's why they are rarely discussed in the GOAT conversation-they don't deserve to be there. But when you're talking about rappers like Outkast, Nas, Ice Cube, etc.. they are well rounded artist who bring everything to the table. And you do realize there are more topics than just "money" and "conscious", you're making it seem like that's the end all be all of content. One or the other..

Jay doesn't talk much about his drive and strive. He talks about selling dope in 88, having a lot of material things, and being better than everyone else. I ain't trying to hear that ? b. If I want some real motivation for success I'll listen to a record like "Strong Will Continue".

I didn't say that, don't put words in my mouth. I personally have all those rappers you listed in my top 10 list, and i wouldn't say they all bring everything to the table, some are weaker at certain aspects.

You are completely missing the whole ? point of this thread. HIPHOP HEADS, PURIST,etc clearly put more weight and emphasis on 'CONSCIOUS'' music, as if it's the end all be all to content. My point is, who the ? are they to say content has anything to do with skills. People aren't drones, our environment and personality fosters different approach and outlooks on life.

The same neighborhoods that birth MLK, MALCOM are the same neighborhoods that birth Ricky Ross, and Frank Lucas.

So songs like these aren't about wanting more and what not. I didn't even list most of his ? .

So ambitious
    Somehow, Someway
    Dope Man
    New Day
    This life is forever
    these streets
    American Dreaming
    December 4
    Lucky Me!
  • jono
    If everyone agreed the world wouldn't be any fun. If hip-hop was one dimensional it wouldn't be any fun.
    If your favorite artist is one dimensional just admit that he's one dimensional and move on. Nobody gonna kick your ass over it. If he aint lyrical then just say he aint lyrical and move on.

I listen to rappers that are ignorant and not lyrical also but then again I don't make idiotic comments overrating them either.

I'll give you an example:
    I like NORE, grew up on him but he's ignorant as ? and is not a lyricist by any stretch of the imagination. But you won't see me making topics saying NORE ? on 2Pac because NORE bangs in the whip or something dumb like that.

If you don't want to open yourself up to criticism on that level or if you can't handle criticism of your musical taste then log off and stay outta here.

In the Project Pat topic I talked my ? , it was a discussion thread and people who liked him gave their reasons and told me things I didn't know. Did it change my mind? No. But it forced me to recognize that one man's trash is another man's treasure and that's fine with me.

Nothing said here will change the minds of anyone but discussion can put other people on something they usually wouldn't have listened to or liked.

I'm as open minded as rap nerds come. In fact I talk ? about "Rick Ross" but I'm going to listen to his album...in fact I've heard them all anyway so when I speak my opinion on his I'm not talkin outta my ass.
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe you should try rapping and you'll find out why content matters ;)

• goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think wordplay is the most overrated
  • rip.dilla

and what is Nas doing, like this ? ain't a millionaire living in the burbs talking about street disciple. ? ain't no street disciple, he doing neighborhood watch.

I think he shot the 'Nasty' video in his hood though

The beginning of the vid was gloss and materialism. The second part was him being a "street disciple"
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    JONO

Yje one dimensional excuse is ? convenient too, how are artist like say a Mos Def, Talib, etc not one dimensional too. When do these ? ever go outside their 5 percent/Muslim style, when was the last time these dudes made a club record, banger,etc. It's cool though, they don't get that ''ONE DIMENSIONAL'' tag because are the ''superior taste'' favorite rappers.

? need to get off their high horses, hiphop has always been about duality.

LOL At you using some of the worst raps songs to make your point, there are great hiphop songs about ice, hoes, flossing,etc that still stands up this day. Franchise Boys is not a accurate representation of great commercial hiphop. Pick a Biggie song, a Jay-z song, a Snoop and Dre song, etc that still stands up 20 years later.

Ya'll need to chill out on the hyperbole, to make your point. I GET AROUND, HOW DO YOU WANT IT,etc stands up just like how DEAR MOMMA, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP till this day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFyTzjJDeCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx5aVI2zsFE

side note not too sure about Talib ... but Mos got a crazy flow he could ? these party tracks if he wanted to do that ... but hes not like these other artist going for the easy route on some ? a real job im just going to strip and get that fa$t money type of ish .....

like i said maybe some of yall might want to start writing and youll see the difference and how simple dudes styles are these days ... the thought level that goes into 95% of thier songs are non-existent .... the fact that dudes keep remaking the same ish is enuff proof of thier laziness ... coming up with new concepts or @least building on ones that exist ..... staying on topic .... switching flows ... require more time in putting the ish together .......... and honestly aint nothing wrong with lacking content and just spewing @ the head ... ? ghostface is known for doing the same ..... but when you got everyone following that trend and thier just regurgitating a bunch of bs that been said a million times ..... for a kid coming up it maybe cool cause this is all new to him .. but for someone who's been listening to the music ... and knowing the INCLINE it used to be on as far as creativity and content goes ... its sickening sometimes you know .............................

futher more proof is Lil B was birth and is celebrate during this time in hip hop ... it reflects where we are @ in hip hop ....... back in my day hip hop was birthing new artist like Big Pun, NORE, Canibus .... very sharp lyrical dudes and also very creative .... well nore wasnt that lyrical but dude had a crazy sense of humor and his style probably was the most creative of that time (something like what 2chainz is to the game today) ........ im asking myself how do we go from that to dudes like LIL B ???????

but i will say hip hop is getting better as far as artist goes ...... i say we stilll lack in the content section ... dudes is still doing the same ole same ... everybody smokes weed ... everybody banging .... and those who arent are on some ? / horrorcor stuff ...... altho i ? with the ODD FUture dudes that are prob the most unique group in hip hop right now .... but they be on some super ? ish and i aint talking about frank ocean ... just peep thier vids and youll see what i mean .... but thats some kids ? ........ maybe im just too grown these days LOL .... i digress lol ;)

• BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? all that
    eminem's content will forever make me a non fan
    i don't give a ? how many times that ? uses 12 syllable multis in a row in 1 song, if that ? is about killin his cousin and drinkin his blood then i won't ? like it
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    jono wrote: »
    If everyone agreed the world wouldn't be any fun. If hip-hop was one dimensional it wouldn't be any fun.
    If your favorite artist is one dimensional just admit that he's one dimensional and move on. Nobody gonna kick your ass over it. If he aint lyrical then just say he aint lyrical and move on.

I listen to rappers that are ignorant and not lyrical also but then again I don't make idiotic comments overrating them either.

I'll give you an example:
    I like NORE, grew up on him but he's ignorant as ? and is not a lyricist by any stretch of the imagination. But you won't see me making topics saying NORE ? on 2Pac because NORE bangs in the whip or something dumb like that.

If you don't want to open yourself up to criticism on that level or if you can't handle criticism of your musical taste then log off and stay outta here.

In the Project Pat topic I talked my ? , it was a discussion thread and people who liked him gave their reasons and told me things I didn't know. Did it change my mind? No. But it forced me to recognize that one man's trash is another man's treasure and that's fine with me.

Nothing said here will change the minds of anyone but discussion can put other people on something they usually wouldn't have listened to or liked.

I'm as open minded as rap nerds come. In fact I talk ? about "Rick Ross" but I'm going to listen to his album...in fact I've heard them all anyway so when I speak my opinion on his I'm not talkin outta my ass.

Alot of fans feel like you can only like one type of rap. They feel like if you love ? C there's no way you can listen to Mos Def, and the funny ? is alot of these conscious rappers these dudes love to prop up as the greatest and somehow more intelligent solely for their content LOVE the same ignorant music their fans hate.
  • jono
    I remember when Kweli agreed to do the song with Gucci, his own fans were ? on him via twitter. I couldn't believe that ? .

I hate Gucci as much as they do but I understand that for diversity, creativity and sake sometimes you make interesting moves like that. Artists can make moves like that and not lose who they are.

Tech N9ne caught backlash from his own fanbase for Lil Wayne on his album too. People just don't think that it helps to be a fan of everything and nobody is one dimensional like that.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    people have their own taste. Who the ? are you and i to knock it?

Then why was this thread even made? If people like Mos and Kweli because of their content and dislike Jay and Cole because of theirs or the lack of, why are you complaining? What does it matter to you? Like you said, it's subjective. You be the main one complaining about Jean Grae's content talking about Cole got this and that, be talking about this and that, but Jean don't got that. Thats YOU making arguments based off content, and now you complaining about other people doing that to your favorite rappers