Real "Jurassic Park"?

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
Australian billionaire creating a real Jurassic Park?

Clive Palmer reported to be interested in cloning a dinosaur for his new massive resort.

File this one under "What could possibly go wrong?" 

Reports from down under are hinting that billionaire Clive Palmer, the same man behind the planned replica of the ill-fated RMS Titanic, may add a dinosaur attraction to his new gigantic Palmer Resort on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, Australia.

No really — a real-life dinosaur. 

The Sunshine Coast Daily is saying that Palmer, 58, has been in discussions with the people who successfully cloned Dolly the sheep to bring his dinosaur vision to life. Apparently, a source close to man's inner-circle says he's very serious about pursuing the idea. 

But wait — is this even possible? 

Well, no. So don't go and start customizing a saddle for your very own velociraptor. The simple reason is: DNA just isn't hardy. Even in a cold environment key to preservation, genetic information would last no more than a million years. Ryan Whitwam of Extremetech.com adds that even if Palmer pulled off the impossible, our dino dreams are still just that. 

"Assuming that a benevolent billionaire had magical, perfect dinosaur DNA, we don't even have the living cells we'd need to birth a dinosaur," he explains. "Modern cloning techniques involve replacing the nucleus and genetic material in an egg cell with the nucleus of the animal you are trying to clone. The problem being, we don't have a dinosaur to donate that egg. We also lack an intact dino nucleus to take up residence in a cell. You can't grow a dinosaur with just a pile of DNA."

"It's not a question of technology, or of funding," he adds, driving a stake into the hearts of dino geeks everywhere. "We’re never going to return dinosaurs or any other ancient creature to Earth because their genes are long gone."

A press conference to confirm (or more likely deny) rumors regarding Palmer's intentions for the resort is scheduled for tomorrow. 

I know it will never happen, but ? it would be dope as hell if this could be pulled off.

Comments

• Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was going to come in here and explain why this is ? , but the story does a good job at that.
  • VIBE
    Options
    You don't even think its slightly plausbile? I'm sure they couldn't make many dinosaurs, but what about just one? I know they're working on a Wooly Mammoth.
  • God-I_Am_Ether
    God-I_Am_Ether Members Posts: 3,409
    Options
    Thought this was about Detroit
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    You don't even think its slightly plausbile? I'm sure they couldn't make many dinosaurs, but what about just one? I know they're working on a Wooly Mammoth.

It's not plausible using modern cloning techniques.

And mammoths went extinct much more recently than dinosaurs. Not only that but whole mammoth bodies have been preserved by ice, so they have more to work with there than just some degraded DNA.

• ImTheKangRoundHere
    ImTheKangRoundHere Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i got a question...how do you post a thread???
  • VIBE
    Options
    I think it possibility of DNA and nucleus are possible but extremely, extremely low chances of ever finding some or extracting some. The problem I think lies in a possible egg to use, obviously you cannot use an actual dinosaur egg, but based on fossils, could they recreate one? Possibly some artificial egg? Or another egg, used from a bird?

I think right now though this isn't a possibility but 100 years from now? Maybe so.
  • p-tavern
    p-tavern Members Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "It's not a question of technology, or of funding," he adds, driving a stake into the hearts of dino geeks everywhere. "We’re never going to return dinosaurs or any other ancient creature to Earth because their genes are long gone."
    Translation: dinosaurs weren't real in the first place so we'll use any excuse we can muster as to why they can't "come back."
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    p-tavern wrote: »
    Translation: dinosaurs weren't real in the first place so we'll use any excuse we can muster as to why they can't "come back."

I flagged you for your slow minded comment.

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    p-tavern wrote: »

What? That's not even close to a translation of what he said. lol
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    I think it possibility of DNA and nucleus are possible but extremely, extremely low chances of ever finding some or extracting some. The problem I think lies in a possible egg to use, obviously you cannot use an actual dinosaur egg, but based on fossils, could they recreate one? Possibly some artificial egg? Or another egg, used from a bird?

I think right now though this isn't a possibility but 100 years from now? Maybe so.
    They could toss that ? into an ostrich egg if they need large eggs, but ostriches are too different from older dinosaurs.

I think cranes are the oldest group of living dinosaurs; so that'd be their best bet. However, these cranes came way after the Cretaceous era; which came after the Jurassic era. And even then, they'd only be able to get it to work with some crane-like predecessor.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    stopped reading after
    cloning a dinosaur
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    actually i read the whole thing

The problem being, we don't have a dinosaur to donate that egg

well ? all you really need is a ? dinosaur egg
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I wouldn't be suprised if they couldn't replace the dinosaur egg with something like a crocodile or some bird or lizard. I mean they are just using the egg as a shell. I think the bigger problem is they don't have the stuff to fill the egg with.
  • Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd visit once it passes the beta phase of the theme park..
  • HustleTree
    HustleTree Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Soooo has dude seen the movie??? Horrible idea....I dont care what breed he was thinking about cloning, one day that thing is gonna have a bad day and test the system. if he isn't heavily armed its a wrap
  • VIBE
    Options
    Well, I assume it would be like the movie, on an island far away from us.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol first i heard about the cracc addicted billionaire who lived with his deceased wife for some weeks
    and now this smh rich ppl these days
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CracceR wrote: »
    lol first i heard about the cracc addicted billionaire who lived with his deceased wife for some weeks
    and now this smh rich ppl these days

34fmek3.jpg

• Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    did you know some dinosaurs had feathers? crazy ? bro

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTP5Hou2l2zb3MVlZc3RuU7-LJ_8_2epK1JZdB3KdEUPZ-8AUUoyA

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbzVfSfDIeov999nyMbidJRTbDhWujbsk4l6fTkGH4_zd3TAn_