COMIC COLLECTORS (MARVEL, DC, INDEPENDENT) Recommend Comics to Pull

Options
waterproof
waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in Quite Comical
To all the Comic Collectors out there Recommend Comics to add to our Pull list and List and tell us why we should follow.. So I got questions for The Marvel, DC and Independent Collectors.

I started collecting comics in the 1980's, my first comic i remember I brought out a Swap meet in Berkeley 170px-Iron_Fist_vs_Sabretooth_comic_cover.jpg don't ask me what happen to it....

I haven't brought any DC cross over since THE CRISIS in the 80's, THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN and BATMAN Death in the Family.

SO DC'S HEAD'S I start collecting BATMAN DARK KNIGHT because it's more mature, Dark and more realistic. Now there is alot of Batman comics that DC have, what other Batman comic is mature and Dark should i start buying should I cop DETECTIVE COMICS.

And what other DC comic i should cop or take a look at, i skimmed through Aquaman and it looks interesting.

MARVEL FANS, As you may know I am collector of Marvel for years and i only cop the X-family and Hulk in which i still do, now I am thinking of expanding out of the X-Universe.

But i am thinking about Pulling Wolverine since Sabertooth is back and i like how it's mature and dark should i add Wolverine to the List.

What about Dakken Comic is it a go.

What about THE DARK AVENGERS.

I never collected THE AVENGERS either, LIST SOME MARVEL COSMIC OR OTHER books that is good.

Comments

• A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    for quality, mature Batman reads these are essential graphic novels IMO:

Year One
    The Long Halloween
    The Cult
    Birth of the Demon (collects the Ra's al Ghul 'Demon Trilogy')
    The Killing Joke
    Joker (Azzarello/Bermejo)
    Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Kingdom Come
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If u like the cosmic tier Marvel characters, go with the Silver Surfer books with artwork done by Ron Lim. U have a ton of great stories and artwork (the return of Thanos and Adam Warlock, prelude to the Infinity Gauntlet, the Herald Ordeal storyline, etc) during Dude's run on the Surfer.
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As for as Marvel cosmics, like Dr. Mindbender122 said, the Surfer books and Guardians of the Galaxy..Quasar had a decent run. If you want great story arcs, go with the Herald Ordeal, the Infinity Guantlet, Thanos Imperative, Annihilation Wave (the first one). Avengers have so many great stories you can just hop right in on any of them, but the Kang and Korvac saga were decent. Also check out the old West Coast Avengers..now a dope story arc was Brubaker's run on Daredevil..i'm talking about classic ? here..Priest's Black Panther is a must have. you can never go wrong with Spidey. I can't give specific numbers right now, but i will pull the stacks over the weekend.
  • waterproof
    Options
    reaperbong wrote: »
    for quality, mature Batman reads these are essential graphic novels IMO:

Year One
    The Long Halloween
    The Cult
    Birth of the Demon (collects the Ra's al Ghul 'Demon Trilogy')
    The Killing Joke
    Joker (Azzarello/Bermejo)
    Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Kingdom Come

Thanks I'm going to start with Year One first and add the other novels to my pull list, I will try to go in chronological order
  • waterproof
    Options
    If u like the cosmic tier Marvel characters, go with the Silver Surfer books with artwork done by Ron Lim. U have a ton of great stories and artwork (the return of Thanos and Adam Warlock, prelude to the Infinity Gauntlet, the Herald Ordeal storyline, etc) during Dude's run on the Surfer.

I still have the original Infinity Gauntlet series when it dropped in the early 90's....Prelude to The Infinity Gauntlet i will check out.

Is there anything current that you think should be given a chance from the cosmic side in Marvel
  • waterproof
    Options
    jaxn wrote: »
    As for as Marvel cosmics, like Dr. Mindbender122 said, the Surfer books and Guardians of the Galaxy..Quasar had a decent run. If you want great story arcs, go with the Herald Ordeal, the Infinity Guantlet, Thanos Imperative, Annihilation Wave (the first one). Avengers have so many great stories you can just hop right in on any of them, but the Kang and Korvac saga were decent. Also check out the old West Coast Avengers..now a dope story arc was Brubaker's run on Daredevil..i'm talking about classic ? here..Priest's Black Panther is a must have. you can never go wrong with Spidey. I can't give specific numbers right now, but i will pull the stacks over the weekend.

Thanos Imperative is what i need to read to get to known the character a little bit more, i will add that to my pull list, and the Brubaker's run of Daredevil

What Avengers title you follow now that you think is good and what you think about the Dark Avengers, and SPiderman.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont got any comics other than the 2011-currents. too expensive for me to go thru the back issues lol. But series i recommend you get if you wanna check current titles are

Batman (Written by Snyder and Drawn by the GOAT Capullo)
    Green Lantern
    Justice League
    Venom
    Aquaman
    Red Hulk

and Spawn. get all of spawn.
  • waterproof
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    I dont got any comics other than the 2011-currents. too expensive for me to go thru the back issues lol. But series i recommend you get if you wanna check current titles are

Batman (Written by Snyder and Drawn by the GOAT Capullo)
    Green Lantern
    Justice League
    Venom
    Aquaman
    Red Hulk

and Spawn. get all of spawn.

@loucypher i used to collect Spawn when the great exodus of Marvel Writers and Artist in the early 90's took place and formed IMAGE.

How is Spawn in 2012, and do you like the reboot of Aquaman and Justice League
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Current spawn is cool. i picked it up at 213, and i guess the new spawn tookover around 200. Maelbogia is weakened but trying to get his ? together, every issue your finding out a little bit more about the new spawn. And hes trying to ? up Heaven and hell, whoever wants it. The way maelbogia was talking it sounds like Al simmons might come back and wreck the new spawn.

Justice League reboot is pretty cool. The new villain they got right now is pretty bad ass. Like i said i never really read the older comics so i dont know what its like compared to the older issues but current titles its one of my faves.

Aquaman. Man Geoff Johns makes him a dope ass hero. Early issues revolves around Aquaman kinda wanting to be alone, everytime he makes an appearance in public people give him ? and say he's a useless hero but he flips that ? . I was the same way and never understood the point of aquaman and picked up 3 issues just for ? and giggles now its my 3rd fave JL solo comic. Behind the regular batman title and the Green Lantern.

Geoff johns is probably my fave writer in the coms i have. He does Justice League, Green Lantern and Aquaman. think he might do more too.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DC...anything with nightwing
    marvel anything with Thor warlock or avengers
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mind ? dropped a lot if oiffery in his surfer post