Keepsakes and Memories

Options
MsSouthern
MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
edited August 2012 in The Powder Room
I never really have before but this relationship I did

I have this box that I store all kinds of things from UT football ticket stubs to mints from the Melting ? to a heart shaped rock my man found when we went camping. I even have a mason jar that came with my drink from our first date. Oh it also has pics of us from various things we've done together.

I've kept it in a secret box but he found it last weekend. It's not really a secret but it's not something I've shared with him either. Anyways.... I walked into my room and he was going thru it. I didn't know how he was going to react..... since some men find stuff like that cheesy. But he was actually touched that I kept all these memories of the past 2 years.

Do you keep little things throughout your relationship like movie stubs...hotel soaps...matches to resturants... etc

If you do..... what are some of your favorite things you hang on to?

Comments

• Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Yeah I keep a big ass moving box full of that type of stuff thinking I'm going to scrapbook it all one day...still waiting to do that.

My mom was really good about keeping up our baby books and doing albums and scrapbooks and I thought it was really neat, so I'm trying to follow suit.

I was sick when I lost all my memory stuff from like 13 up to like 24 years old. I still hate thinking about that.

Edit - Oooops I didn't even answer the question..lol.
    I have the tickets from the zoo trip when my bf and daughter first met.

Plane tickets and various items from our first trip together.

Pictures, bar napkin, roses, etc.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    i do, and i don't...

i can be very unattached to ? ... and can careless if it's there or destroyed.....i throw ? away like it's nothing...

but for some weird reason, i still like seeing ? from forever ago.....
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anything handwritten is big for me

@MzGraham

I think you would enjoy scrapbooking
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wedding pics and other things from our wedding. Since we have a family now. My kids pics and stuff like that is taken up alot of room.
  • Kat
    edited August 2012
    Options
    MissK wrote: »

@MzGraham

I think so too, I love stuff like that.

I've completed one that was a baby shower gift and I had fun getting it together. It wasn't really a theme I would have chosen myself, so I can imagine it would be even better to pick everything out to my liking.

Do you scrapbook?
  • Seansosa
    Seansosa Members Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i got a box full of pics , movie stubs , my graduation hats etc
  • MissK
    Options

@MzGraham

I've completed one that was a baby shower gift and I had fun getting it together. It wasn't really a theme I would have chosen myself, so I can imagine it would be even better to pick everything out to my liking.

Do you scrapbook?

I sure do-you should see the amount of stuff I have, smh. I used to do it for others as well but it is hard because they are meant to be more personal, it started taking the fun out of it for me and people don't appreciate the time, effort, and expense of doing them. I will still create them for family/friends though.

There is also digital scrapbooking but I don't do much of that-I am tactile and like to feel the textures of the paper and different elements that go on the pages.

I am a nerd, I own it. :)

• Kat
    Options

@MzGraham

Do you scrapbook?

I sure do-you should see the amount of stuff I have, smh. I used to do it for others as well but it is hard because they are meant to be more personal, it started taking the fun out of it for me and people don't appreciate the time, effort, and expense of doing them. I will still create them for family/friends though.

There is also digital scrapbooking but I don't do much of that-I am tactile and like to feel the textures of the paper and different elements that go on the pages.

I am a nerd, I own it. :)

lol..nothing nerdy about it! You should do a workshop!

I agree with you about wanting a tangible end product.

That's one reason I hate the digital age. You know how many pics I have on my Walgreens account that STILL haven't been developed? lol
  • MissK
    Options
    I know, I do too! I was getting overwhelmed with the amount of photos and almost gave up scrapbooking because of it but I have learned to do something that has helped reduce the volume of photos a bit. Say you have an event-like when we went to the Texans game-I had of course well over 100 photos. Instead of trying to work with that number I pick the very best of the bunch and then have them made into a collage-scrap that along with maybe a few singles and memorabilia and there you go-event scrapped. I had to tell myself it is okay to delete photos, lol and if I still don't want to get rid of them I back them onto a disk and throw that in a box.
  • Kat
    Options
    I know, I do too! I was getting overwhelmed with the amount of photos and almost gave up scrapbooking because of it but I have learned to do something that has helped reduce the volume of photos a bit. Say you have an event-like when we went to the Texans game-I had of course well over 100 photos. Instead of trying to work with that number I pick the very best of the bunch and then have them made into a collage-scrap that along with maybe a few singles and memorabilia and there you go-event scrapped. I had to tell myself it is okay to delete photos, lol and if I still don't want to get rid of them I back them onto a disk and throw that in a box.

lol..yes, I'll be going through pics and realize the past 15 are basically of the same silly face she's trying to make or something.

I also learned the art of creatively cropping pics with scissors so I can get 6-10 pics onto a page instead of maybe 3 or 4.

I hate boring standard photo albums!
  • MissK
    Options

I have this weird thing about cutting my pics...just can't do it!! Before you laugh here is why- trends and styles change and I want to look back and see that. If I cut my pics I am afraid I am going to cut that out. Ex-My dad used to have this yellow fiat when I was really young, he drove it until there was a hole in the bottom of the floor-he loved it! It's in a few pics and doesn't really add to it but if it had been cut out I would have no memory of it....well that is my justification anyway...lol

• MsSouthern
    Options
    my man is a black man @Chicity
  • Kat
    Options
    I have this weird thing about cutting my pics...just can't do it!! Before you laugh here is why- trends and styles change and I want to look back and see that. If I cut my pics I am afraid I am going to cut that out. Ex-My dad used to have this yellow fiat when I was really young, he drove it until there was a hole in the bottom of the floor-he loved it! It's in a few pics and doesn't really add to it but if it had been cut out I would have no memory of it....well that is my justification anyway...lol

Damn..you aren't playing around talking about the essence of the picture..lol ; )

That's a good point though, I never thought about that.

Some pics are too perfect too cut, but I still cut most of mine even if it's just a little bit to round the edges.
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i had some random ? from ex's i kept....lil pictures and stuff....my bm got rid of that ? slowly but surely lol

• HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    pretty much....you live and you learn tho....now anything i wanna make sure i keep for the long run is at mama's crib lmao

as far as just my old stuff tho i keep everything....if it reminds me of a time or a place i've been, i keep it....i got a few boxes in my closet that never get opened, that ? been in them boxes for like 5 new places....
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    only thing i keep in a box is my weed! thats my keepsake
  • taeboo
    taeboo Members Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a scrapbooker too, I keep just about everything, letters and cards from friends/family, some of my son's baby clothes, stuff from school, and pictures. I have about 5 memory boxes in my storage room.

I don't really keep stuff from my past relationships tho, I always feel the need to purge after a break up.
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    If you ever in your posting career come in and try this ? againg you will be banned... this is your ONLY warning !!!

- Ms. Southern
  • Kat
    Options
    Wtf is your problem Marvin?

You came into the keepsakes thread in the Powder Room to post that ? ?

Smh..guess misery wants some company.
  • Lost
    Lost Members Posts: 152
    Options
    I usually keep the poems I write for my woman.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Naw I don't keep ? .
  • MsSouthern
    Options
    I also have those big plastic containers filled with stuff from when I grew up and one's for my kid too.

I guess I just never cared to keep more than pics of my past relationships... but this one is different.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I keep the stuff my kids give me though.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea I have a shoebox with pics and event tickets etc....
  • BK Product
    BK Product Members Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got a shoe box as well... pics, ticket stubs, bday cards, and a bunch of other random/special items that remind of events/times in my life... its cool to look through every so often.