Doctor Refuses to Treat Woman Because She’s Over 200 Lbs.

Options
124»

Comments

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fat ? ain't ? lol
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good. You know how hard it is to find a pulse, or hear a heartbeat or palpate a lymph node when a patient is that fat? The fat literally gets in the way.

Heart sounds can become faint when patients are severely overweight. And when you end up missing the murmur that was symptomatic of their underlying pathologic condition, they come back and sue you for negligence, even though you tell them to lose the ? weight.

Good for this doctor. All my patients in the future will be told to lose weight if their BMI is above 25 and their resting metabolic rate is too damn high.
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »
    MissK wrote: »
    MissK wrote: »
    Man if you don't want to help PEOPLE then don't get in the ? medical field.

Obesity is a form of sickness and that's what you get paid the MF'n big bucks for..stop whining and get a sturdier table.

Unless someone has some kind of glandular or thyroid condition, it's not a sickness.

Some would even argue that there are people with those same glandular conditions who aren't overweight or obese.

I don't know of many "sicknesses" that can be cured by just changing your behavior.

Calories in/calories out (burning more calories than you take in) would cure most people who have this "sickness."

Alcoholism

But really, nothing is as simple as that.

I don't look at that or drug addiction as sicknesses either.

They're caused by behavior.

Now, someone can make themselves sick by drinking too much alcohol or abusing drugs, but if you don't drink or use drugs you're not going to suddenly come down with alcoholism or drug addiction.

So you don't believe that there are chemical reactions in the brain (serotonin levels) or an imbalance of chemicals that can play a role?

I believe that it can play a role in determining whether or not someone is a casual drinker/drug user or an addict...but I still don't think of addictions as sicknesses simply because you can't get them unless you engage in specific activity.

Now, your body can develop sicknesses as a result of constant alcohol or drug abuse,
    but the addiction in and of itself is not a sickness.

Addictions are considered disorders when they become a reliance and impede on normal daily functioning.

But what's ? up is that doctors can't blame patients' issues on their weight issues. Like, you can't tell a patient they're too fat. You can tell them the fat is contributing to their condition, but you can't directly blame them for being too fat. Or something murky like that. I read it in my notes and forgot most of it. But the way we're supposed to handle obese patients clinically ? up. B/c you have to treat the issue regardless of the weight, but can't tell them they're too fat.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The doctor is wrong but right at the same time. It's against the hippocratic oath all health care professionals take when they become health care professionals. Legally the doctor is wrong.

But the legal ? besides, man if you're that ? big lose some ? weight. I don't believe obesity and alcoholism are sickness because you bring that ? on yourself. There are people with glandular/thyroid problems that are not obese. When he doctor told me I needed to lose weight I lost the damn weight, I didn't just ignore him and get some damn painkillers. ? out of here with that ? America is getting soft when people are trying to cape for this type of fuckery.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good for this doctor. Enough of coddling these marshmallow swallowing, soda IV drip having, 25 piece bucket on the hour ? ...stop burning down baconators and go burn a calorie!!
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So if a dude 6'3, 215 walks in to this doctor, he's considered obese and should be turned away?

lol @ being unable to reach someone's pulse cause they're 200lbs.

Really though.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So if a dude 6'3, 215 walks in to this doctor, he's considered obese and should be turned away?

Really though.
    again, I'm 275lbs....

and honestly if my doctor told me that ? i'd go wheverever they want me to go....my health is far too important for a half assed assesment
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    hard to find a pulse at 200 lbs ... seriously??? I'd question the doctor's ability to care if that was really true
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Really though.

No way a 6'3 215 pound person would ever be considered obese, actually according to BMI he would be underweight because I'm 6'1 and I'm supposed to be between 210-217 to be considered in shape.(I actually weigh around 227-232 but I have muscle mass on me)

Stop making excuses if you are 5'5 and weigh 250 pounds that is a ? problem. Don't make excuses for them it is true that it is harder to find their pulse, if you have to push them in a wheelchair it is harder, lift them up onto a new bed from a stretcher, etc.
  • Kat
    Options
    Nobody asked you DU!
  • Dupac
    Options
    hard to find a pulse at 200 lbs ... seriously??? I'd question the doctor's ability to care if that was really true

hence me vacating the building immediately and going to someone who can properly treat me.....

• Kat
    Options

Really though.

No way a 6'3 215 pound person would ever be considered obese, actually according to BMI he would be underweight because I'm 6'1 and I'm supposed to be between 210-217 to be considered in shape.(I actually weigh around 227-232 but I have muscle mass on me)

Stop making excuses if you are 5'5 and weigh 250 pounds that is a ? problem. Don't make excuses for them it is true that it is harder to find their pulse, if you have to push them in a wheelchair it is harder, lift them up onto a new bed from a stretcher, etc.

Hey I'm not making excuses I'm going by what the article said, which is that the good doctor is turning away patients 200lbs or greater.

I'm 5'11 so I already know having a higher number on the scale doesn't mean you're an invalid that's too fat to have your pulse taken.

• Dupac
    edited August 2012
    Options
    i'm way bigger than you kat....and i've been diagnosed with high blood pressure...

i feel like...why take any chances
  • rage
    Options

Really though.

What part of OVER 250lbs do you not comprehend??
  • rage
    Options
    By: Dodai Stewart

Ida Davidson claims that her weight fluctuates, and right now she is "a little overweight." But she did not expect to be turned away when visited her doctor. Davidson, who lives in Shrewsbury, MA, went to a new primary care physician — Dr. Helen Carter — and was informed that the doctor would not accept her as a patient. According to WCVB, Dr. Carter has recently implemented a policy of turning away folks who are heavy:
    "After three consecutive injuries (with other patients) trying to care for people over 250 pounds, my office is unable to accommodate a certain weight and we put a limit on it," Carter said.

Dr. Carter did not specify the nature of these injuries, but noted that patients have alternatives: "There's an obesity center over at UMass that is much better staffed and has more resources than I do."

Dr. Carter's policy is not illegal, and WCVB points out:

The American Medical Association's Council on Ethics and Judicial Affairs policy reads "Both patients and physicians should be able to exercise freedom in whom to enter into a patient-physician relationship ... physicians do not give up their freedom of association by merely becoming professionals."
    According to reports, at least half of American women wear dresses and pants size 14 or larger. There are lots of women over 200 lbs. in this country. Dr. Carter may have the right to turn away patients based on weight, but it seems like bad business. If she is interested in serving as a physician for a certain community, shouldn't she meet that community's needs? (And if people are being injured because her medical equipment is not up to ? , then she needs new medical equipment.)

Dr. Carter says that since her policy was implemented, she's had "at least two people who have been very motivated." Meaning: To lose weight. But it sounds an awful lot like fat-shaming, and Ida Davidson seems to think that Dr. Carter just doesn't want to deal:

She didn't care about my health that day. I think she just cared that I was a liability to her, maybe. And too much work.
    Last year, it was reported that some gynecologists in South Florida were turning away healthy, non-pregnant overweight patients. In medical school, the motto is primum non nocere — first, do no harm. Isn't there psychological and emotional harm done when a doctor — someone you're attempting to have an intimate, deeply personal relationship with — refuses to examine you because your body isn't thin enough? What if a patient is turned away and is so humiliated embarrassed she avoids seeking medical attention?

LMAO @ the entitlement these greasy ass ? have. You ? right I'd be worried about my liability there Shamoo. If the doctor helps this rotund ? and she cracks the table in half...guess who gets sued for malpractice? Thats right the doctor.