Punchline and DJ Soulclap - Underground Superstars (most underrated album of the year)

rapfan84
rapfan84 Members Posts: 228 ✭✭
edited August 2012 in The Essence
Seriously, so damn good, but cannot even find a single review of it online. I had not heard of DJ Soulclap before, but damn he is an impressive producer, sounds like a young Preemo. And I think Punchline is woefully underrated, pretty incredible emcee.
http://youtu.be/F7Z5tv12tt4

Comments

• rapfan84
    edited August 2012
    Anyone else heard the album?
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have not heard it, but if the album is the same quality as the above video then it should be dope. I really like it, going to look for the album now.
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    Going to go and check this out too. Props on the head's up!
  • RuffDraft
    @rapfan84, I'm on the second track, I honestly know what path I'm on with this listen… PROPS!

Punchline is mad dope, always enjoyed him from his Masta Ace collabs. But I haven't heard him on his own project before, despite him being featured on The Love Movement back in 1998! Does he have any others?

The production is top notch, love the 'Don't say Nuttin'' sample!
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RuffDraft Punchline has an EP with Wordsmith called "Punch n' Words", they also have a track on the Lyricist Lounge vol 1 album, and are featured on the Black Star album and the Love Movement as you already mentioned. But nothing on his own yet, this would be the 1st other than maybe mixtapes if he went that route.

@RapFan84 This LP is dope! Good find, props for putting the Essence on to it. Would have never found it without your post.
  • RuffDraft
    @achewon87, props, I'll check that EP after I've listened to this.

It's dope that he's finally stepped into the booth and produced a full album. I agree @achewon87, this album is dope! Props @RapFan84, appreciate you putting us on!
  • rapfan84
    Glad you both like it! Yeah it's a shame this is being slept on, I actually discovered it a couple weeks ago through a tweet Big Pooh had about it.
  • rapfan84
    Oh and if you haven't heard it, peep the eMC album The Show from a few years back (supergroup consisting of Ace, Punchline, Wordsworth, and Stricklin), it is fire.
  • RuffDraft
    @rapfan84

LOL @ me forgetting he was in eMC. The Show was a nice album. I saw Words and Ace recently, there's a concert review in The Essence on the first page with pictures from the show. Well impressed with this release though, glad you made us aware.

Still got Apollo Brown & O.C.'s Trophies as the Album of the Year, thus far; with Oddisee just behind.

Dope, I need to get into Twitter more… I'm falling into the old and no longer hip category… shameful.

• rapfan84
    I'll have to check out that Oddisee, I haven't heard of him.

I would put Trophies and Underground Superstar as neck and neck for the #2 spot of the year. I think Nas has #1 on lock, that album is incredible.
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2012
    @rapfan84

Definitely check out Oddisee, he's on the same label as Apollo Brown & is nigh on as good a producer, IMO. Some people may feel he's some way off though, or much better. Just depends on what's your tastes, as he's more mellow in comparison.

Here's the thread: Oddisee - People Hear What They See

As for Album of the Year, sorry, I was referring to 'underground/independent album of the year'. That said though,I think it's close between Nas & O.C for album of the year. I've certainly listened to Trophies more. There are tracks on Life is Good, such as 'The Don', were I think the beat outdoes Nas as it's bland and doesn't contain quotables. Where as I think Trophies has an excellent theme and O.C continually drops insightful rhymes, based around the need for trophies these days. In many ways, he's coined the term when it used to just reference women.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dope schitt... i wish strick actually some solo material i could buy, i cant find any of his music... only ever heard him on emc's album...
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its annoying you cant get these albums on cds only on itunes etc... i wanted this joint on cd but cant get hold of it
  • RuffDraft
    @water ur seeds co-sign. With distribution from UGHH, this CD would have sold a nice amount, especially with the co-signs it would have received at their forum.

Especially considering that underground fans always seem to be the most nostalgic wanting of prints/vinyls etc. rather than the MP3/M4a route.
  • DJSoulClap
    DJSoulClap Members Posts: 2
    Thanks for posting this here! Much appreciated! We are starting to work on the follow up and I'm also working on an album with Apocalypse that you know from Ace's albums…
  • DJSoulClap
    DJSoulClap Members Posts: 2
    If anyone wants a CD send me a message. I had a limited Edition of 500 CD's pressed over here in Germany!