One of the most Unappreciated rap albums of ALL Time...also one of the BEST

Options
jono
jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in The Reason
When it comes to youthful braggadocio and raw energy which for a time has been the hallmark of hip-hop music, its hard to compare any MC to one of the best in both categories: LL Cool J and arguably no album shows these traits more than Bigger and Deffer (BAD)

I'm Bad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=Zl9YF3Heb14

LL mastered the game 25 years ago, what we have today, specifically from Lil Wayne, Tyga and a few others is the same blueprint LL laid down waaaay back then. Problem is, he gets almost no credit for it.

Go Cut Creator Go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=hpFGEK26uA8

I Need Love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=-N0BZI2-Wfs

This album embodies hip-hop in its entirety: lyricism, booming beats, rough and raw for the most part but still found time for the chicks. Its B-Boy music at its best.

Comments

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    on the real i actually need to go back and give all his albums a better listen. I was kinda young when this dropped and never really gave it much of a listen besides the popular radio tracks.

I think we should give LL more credit some times.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    LL is in my top 5, one of the best to ever do it.
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great album. I like Radio more for its old school sound though.

You can't dance!
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was no older than 4 when his first 2 where released. I didn't even really know him until 1995 which was about 10yrs after his debut.

When I became disillusioned with mainstream hip-hop I went back to the oldies before going underground and I must say LL is one of the GOATs. He will never match Jay-Z, 2Pac or Biggie in popularity but dude is an awesome MC.

LL has 3 albums that should be on everybody's list of classic rap albums: Radio, B.A.D. & Mama Said Knock You Out. He was fearless, battled at the drop of a hat, but LL's image of a ladies man kind of overshadows his talent.

After Mama Said... his material became softer and a more commercial as he changed his image from braggadocious B-Boy to smooth Ladies Man and I think it hindered him artistically but it was necessary because Gangsta rap was taking over in the 90s and LL had tried it, didn't do it so well and then outgrown that type of stuff.

Walking With A Panther is an awesome LP as well.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    I was no older than 4 when his first 2 where released. I didn't even really know him until 1995 which was about 10yrs after his debut.

When I became disillusioned with mainstream hip-hop I went back to the oldies before going underground and I must say LL is one of the GOATs. He will never match Jay-Z, 2Pac or Biggie in popularity but dude is an awesome MC.

LL has 3 albums that should be on everybody's list of classic rap albums: Radio, B.A.D. & Mama Said Knock You Out. He was fearless, battled at the drop of a hat, but LL's image of a ladies man kind of overshadows his talent.

After Mama Said... his material became softer and a more commercial as he changed his image from braggadocious B-Boy to smooth Ladies Man and I think it hindered him artistically but it was necessary because Gangsta rap was taking over in the 90s and LL had tried it, didn't do it so well and then outgrown that type of stuff.

see that's what stopped me from going back with LL like i did with Rakim, BDK, and KRS
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

idk about the album being unappreciated. it's on a bunch of greatest all time hip hop lists. still dope though.

even Necro showed some love.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjgcku27xIk
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

idk about the album being unappreciated. it's on a bunch of greatest all time hip hop lists. still dope though.

even Necro showed some love.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjgcku27xIk

"I'll ? myself while the dealer's eating Japanese food"
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I disagree... as far as it being underappreciated. This is the album with the first hip hop ballad. Like, that's history. Everyone that knows hip hop knows this album bangs. It may not be talked about much nowadays, cuz these whippersnappers have the memory of a gerbil on ? , but it's a classic regardless.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This should've been the album of discussion. He gets ? on for it, but tell me this ain't one of the greatest rap tracks ever?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9Ts-m2Tv5A
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't really get into his earlier stuff. The style just doesn't appeal to me much, even though I like a few of the cuts. That said, I do appreciate his career in its entirety. But personally, i'd rather listen to his Mr. Smith period. I think LL really hit a stride around that time. I think if he had musically capitalized on it better he would've stayed relevant longer, but instead he chose to make the switch to Hollywood after this. I don't blame him. I just wish he had that Mr. Smith-period hunger for music (or at least still showed that kind of hunger).
  • Nile Gambino
    Nile Gambino Members Posts: 934 ✭✭✭
    Options
    the blueprint 2 the curse CD was dark and dope.
    the war report 2 is relevant to the prequel.
    fat joe's don cartagena a 90's ? eastcoast classic written by Big Pun.
    WU-tangs forever could be easily the best double hiphop album.
    anything by Kool G rap.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    the blueprint 2 the curse CD was dark and dope.
    the war report 2 is relevant to the prequel.
    fat joe's don cartagena a 90's ? eastcoast classic written by Big Pun.
    WU-tangs forever could be easily the best double hiphop album.
    anything by Kool G rap.

No one's asking for your list of underappreciated albums, you ? ? .
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As a 70s baby, I can say this was big when it came out. It went atleast 1X platinum.Its just old. I dont think its underappreciated, Its just time has moved on. But yeah, that was a big album at the time.
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As a 70s baby, I can say this was big when it came out. It went atleast 1X platinum.Its just old. I dont think its underappreciated, Its just time has moved on. But yeah, that was a big album at the time.

Basically.