"THE GROCERY LIST" DIETING, HEALTHY FOOD RECIPE'S, Grocery Store's you shop at AND DIETING TIPS

Options
waterproof
waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in The Weight Room
Share your Grocery List with us and drop healthy food Recipe's and DIETING TIPS.

I went Grocery Shopping last week and here's some food's that i brought.

SALMON

STEAKS

CHICKEN BREAST & CHICKEN THIGHS

BROWN RICE

CELERY, CARROTS, avocado, tomatoes, banana's, lettuce

Turkey Lunch Meat.

Original Plain Oatmeal

Cottage Cheese

marinade carne asada and Chicken breast/thighs

Salad Mix

Whole Grain Bread

Green Tea in tea bags

Lipton Diet Green Tea.

BEEF NECK BONES.

GALLONS OF WATER

I start shopping at FRESCO WORLD MARKET, the price is great for those who eat healthy and it's have a wide range of produce that is fresh and great price, a fish market and a mercado inside for the meats. this is my ? from now on out.

I still go to Save Mart for their steaks, lambs and chicken sometime and I hit up Smart and Final, Costco if buy bulks when the funds is low grocery outlet is the place and they have lots of great meats and fish at a great discount price

Comments

• waterproof
    Options
    YOU WANT TO DROP A POUND A DAY AND LOSE 7 POUNDS IN A WEEK, AND CLEAN YOUR ? COLON OUT.. TRY THIS DETOX DIET and come back and tell us about it.

1 Day - Fruit and vegetable juices

Drink fruit and vegetable juices for breakfast, lunch and dinner. In order to preserve all vitamins, make the juice just before drinking.
    First day of the 7 day detox diet plan you can drink all fresh and mixed juices you like; here are some useful ideas:
    1 grapefruit, 1 orange and 2 tbsp* of lemon juice
    7 tbsp (100 ml) beet and celery juice + 1 tbsp apple vinegar

20 tbsp (300 ml) cucumber juice, 7 tbsp (100 ml) tomato juice and 1 tbsp chopped up parsley
    14 tbsp (200 ml) carrot juice and 7 tbsp (100 ml) apple juice
    Drink about 3.2 pints (1.5 litres) of juices. You can drink mineral water and tea as much as you like, but with no sugar.
    * tbsp=tablespoon (1 tbsp ~ 15 ml)

2 Day - Potatoes
    Boil 1.65 pounds (750 g) of potatoes and divide them into 2-3 portions.
    Breakfast
    1 slice of bread and 3.5 ounces (100 g) of cheese

Here are a few ideas for cooking the potatoes:
    Potato salad with onion or leeks, with lemon juice dressing
    Mashed potatoes mixed with 4 tbsp hot milk and chopped up dill or parsley
    Potato soup garnished with green spices and nutmeg, and 1 boiled egg

3 Day - Rice
    Boil 7 ounces (200 g) rice for about 25-30 minutes in non-salted water. Strain off the rice and divide it into 5 portions. Eat 1 portion every 2 hours. If you wish you can stir up the rice with some fruit or tomato juice or fat free vegetable soup.
    Drink at least 5.5 pints (2.5 litres) of mineral water, tea, coffee with no sugar.

4 Day - Fruits
    Breakfast
    1 slice of bread or 2 dietetic rusks, 3.5 ounces (100 g) of cheese, 1 apple or pear.
    For the rest of the day eat only fruits about 2.5 - 3.5 pounds (1 - 1.5 kg). You can make a fruit salad and garnish it with lemon juice.
    You can eat all kinds of fruits except for bananas.
    Drink at least 4.5 pints (2 litres) of mineral water, tea, coffee with no sugar.

5 Day - Macaroni
    Boil 5.3 ounces (150 g) macaroni for about 10 minutes in salted water. Strain off the macaroni and divide them into 3-4 portions.
    Breakfast
    1 slice of bread, 1 tsp* of butter, 1 boiled egg.
    For the rest of the day eat only the macaroni.

Here are some ideas how to vary the macaroni portions:
    Mix the macaroni with 2 tbsp of parsley or dill and 1 ounce (30 g) grated cheese
    Mix the macaroni with 1.05 pints (500ml) ready-cooked vegetable soup and 1 tsp chopped onion
    Mix the macaroni with 1 chopped up tomato, 2 tbsp boiled peas, 1 tbsp apple vinegar and 1 tsp of parsley
    You can drink 4.5 pints (2 litres) of mineral water, tea, coffee with no sugar.
    * tsp=teaspoon (1 tsp ~ 5 ml)

6 Day - Vegetables
    Breakfast
    1 slice of bread or 2 dietetic rusks, 1 tsp of butter, 1 boiled egg.
    For the rest of the day eat about 2 pounds (1 kg) of vegetables - half fresh and the other half stewed.

Here are some ideas how to cook the vegetables:
    Stew 8.5 ounces (250g) cauliflower and 8.5 ounces (250 g) cabbage
    Prepare all kinds of mixed salads with the fresh vegetables with lemon dressing or apple vinegar
    Eat 1 boiled egg or 1.7 ounces (50 g) cheese with one of the portions
    You can drink 4.5 - 5.5 pints (2 - 2.5 litres) of mineral water, tea, coffee with no sugar.

7 Day - Meat
    Breakfast
    1 slice of bread, 1 tsp of butter, 1 oz (30 g) cheese, 1 tomato, a few slices of onion.
    Lunch
    3.5 ounces (100 g) roasted veal,
    4.5 ounces (120 g) boiled potatoes mixed with 1 tbsp vegetable oil
    and 2 tbsp of parsley.

Dinner
    3.5 ounces (100 g) green salad, 3 tomatos, 1 small onion, 3.5 ounces (100 g) boiled vegetable marrows, 3.5 ounces (100 g) boiled or roasted fish, 1 slice of rye or wholemeal bread.
    You can drink about 4.5 pints (2 litres) of mineral water or tea with no sugar.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    potatoes and rice wtf you trying to make me a damn chunky bunny hell naa!!!!!!!!!!
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Back on track tho.........

whole grain bread

lean turkey meat for sandwiches

loads of veggies and fruits

spinach salad mixes

some lean cuisine dinners for when i'm being a lazy ass

eggs (preferably organic)

1% milk

chicken breast

• waterproof
    Options
    potatoes and rice wtf you trying to make me a damn chunky bunny hell naa!!!!!!!!!!

@Picoroscoe come now, brown rice and red potatoes (the red small ones),lol.......
  • waterproof
    Options
    I JUST SPENT 77 DOLLARS ON TWO WEEKS OF GROCERIES and i am ? pumped this is the lowest i ever spent, YO a few years ago i was spending 200 dollars every two weeks on food, eating healthy is expensive as ? .

But fresco world market is the ? . I brought

Salmon
    Tilapia
    Beef Neck Bones
    Chuck Steak
    korean beef ribs
    steak
    skinless Chicken Thighs
    2 Pounds of Turkey Lunch Meat
    Gallon of Milk
    Turkey Bacon
    Bag of Apples
    Red Grapes
    Whole Grain Bread
    Celery
    Banana's
    Carrots
    avocado
    tomatoes
    diet 7-up
    All Natural Jiffy Peanut Butter
    EGGS
  • waterproof
    Options
    So i switched my diet up, I got a misson to become a MONSTER FREAK meaning those freaks you see in the gym weighing 270 of all muscle and low fat, explain further in another thead but here's my diet.

Early Morning - 2 mile run and a 2 mile walk at the lake on an empty stomach (takes fat burner and bcaa's, multi vitamin, vitamin c, calcium and vit d, hawthorn Berry, Liquid B-12)

FIRST MEAL - 1 Cup of Oatmeal, 2 slice of Turkey Bacon, 1 whole Banana and a Glass of Milk and Fish Oil

2ND MEAL - Salmon or Tilapia and a Cup of White Rice, carrots

3RD MEAL - APPLE, 2 Spoons of Skippy's Natural and a Glass of Milk

4th MEAL - Chicken Thighs, 1 cup of Brown rice, a Celery Stick and a FISH OIL

5th MEAL - 2 Turkey wraps, 1/2 Avocado and two boiled eggs

PWO - 1 SCOOP of Protein with Creatine, Glutamine, Arginine, Beta Alanine and two BCAA'S

WORK OUT (LIFTING HEAVY WITH 4 SETS 8-12 REPS EACH SET)

CARDIO - 45 MINS INCLINE TREADMILL at a pace from 3.5 to 4.0 then 15 min of cardio on the stepping machine or bike

POST WORK OUT 2 SCOOPS OF PROTEIN with Creatine, Glutamine, Arginine and two BCAA'S

6TH MEAL - BEEF (either Chuck Steak, Korean Beef Ribs, beef neck bones or steak) Spinach and salad mix salad
  • waterproof
    Options
    Wavelength Guide to Bodybuilding v3.0

The goal of bodybuilding is to improve body composition by losing fat and/or gaining muscle mass. If total body weight goes down in the process, the method is generally referred to as "cutting", if total body weight goes up, it's called "bulking", if body weight stays about the same, it's called "recomping".

1 Cutting

1.1 Essential Rules

- Workout with weights about 3 times a week.
    - Eat at least 1g protein / lb of lean body mass a day.
    - Eat some fruit, veggies/salad, and some essential fatty acids (EFAs) every day.
    - Above that eat whatever you want, preferably a wide variety of foods.
    - Adjust your food intake so that the desired rate of weight loss is maintained.

The recommended rate of weight loss depends on your current body fat level. Generally, the higher your bodyfat, the higher the rate of weight loss can potentially be. The best indication for the rate being too high is if you rapidly lose strength in the gym. In this case, increase your intake and go for a smaller rate of weight loss. In general, a rate of about 1-2lbs per week is recommended.

Any cutting method that follows the above rules is close to optimal, any further details will not have significant effect on body composition. If you already have a meal plan, just check if these rules are followed and adjust if not.

1.2 Measuring Progress and Adjusting Food Intake

- Weigh yourself once a week, always at the same time (e.g. right after waking up).
    - Don't panic if your weight stays the same or even goes up for one or two weeks.
    - If your weight does not go down for more than three weeks, slightly reduce calories.
    - If your rate of weight loss is above the desired value, slightly increase calories.
    - The change in daily calories from those adjustments should not exceed 500 cals.
    - After adjustment, stay on the new value for at least three weeks before adjusting again.

If you have never done a cutting diet, it's always better to start with more calories and reduce slowly until the desired rate of weight loss is maintained. If you stay patient, you will not have to adjust very often. With more experience, you will not have to count calories anymore, but as a beginner it is probably a good idea.

1.3 Unessential Factors

Since many questions revolve around further details of cutting diets, here is a list of factors that I believe to be of insignificant effect for body composition:

- Cardio and fat burners,
    - Meal timing and meal frequency,
    - Protein / Carb / Fat distribution throughout the day,
    - carb / fat ratio,
    - Sodium intake,
    - Moderate alcohol intake,
    - Use of supplements resp. meal replacements,
    - "Clean" food vs. Junk food (sugar and saturated fat).

All these factors should be used as tools to make the diet as convenient as possible. Many people e.g. have an easier time dieting with eating more calories and doing cardio or taking fat burners. Some people like myself have an easier time without cardio and fat burners. In my experience, the end result (body composition improvement) is not significantly influenced. Another example is protein supplements. I e.g. use whey powder to meet my daily protein intake out of convenience. I could just as well get all my protein from other sources. A third example is meal frequency and timing. This tool should be used to reduce hunger as much as possible throughout the day. For some people that means eating 6 times a day, for others it means eating only once or twice a day.

2 Bulking and Recomping

The only factor that changes for bulking or recomping is that the rate of weight change X is positive resp. zero. All other essential rules are exactly the same as for cutting (see sections above).

For bulking, the critical factor is the value of X. Everyone has a different ability to gain weight with a certain ratio of muscle vs. fat gain. This ability is dependent on things like genetics, age, training experience, etc. The ratio will decrease the higher X is, but not in a linear way. The trick is to find the optimal value for X, where the ratio is still close to optimum. Unfortunally, this is solely a matter of experience. My advise would be to increase calories by 500 over maintenance and check if weight goes up while fat gains are still tolerable. If no weight is gained, increase calories again. If fat gains are too high, decrease calories.

For recomping (staying at about the same total body weight), just weigh yourself from time to time and adjust food intake accordingly to maintain that weight. You can e.g. weigh yourself in the morning and just skip your last meal of the day if you're above target weight. You can determine your progress by how much strength you gain in the gym, by taking measurements (e.g. waist size), or simply by looking in the mirror.

3 Weight Training

Weight training refers to intense (anaerobic) strength training in this guide. This applies to all three variants of bodybuilding (cutting, bulking, and recomping). There are many methods of weight training, a typical 3 day split program is assembled here (the numbers refer to number of exercises):

Day1: 3 x Chest, 2 x Biceps, 1 x Abs
    Day2: Rest
    Day3: 4 x Legs, 2 x Shoulders
    Day4: Rest
    Day5: 2 x Back, 2 x Triceps, 1 x Traps, 1 x Abs
    Day6: Rest
    Day7: Rest

For each exercise, do one light warmup set, then go up with the weight on the next 2-3 sets, and do one or two heavy sets to failure or close to failure. For the smaller exercises (e.g. biceps), the number of sets can also only be 3-4 though. Repetition numbers should be in the range of 15-6. For the exercises one could e.g. do (in the above order):

3 x Chest: BB Presses, DB Incline Presses, Dips
    2 x Biceps: DB Curls, Concentration/Cable Curls
    1 x Abs: Situps
    4 x Legs: Squats or Leg Presses, Leg Extensions, Leg Curls, Calf Raises
    2 x Shoulders: DB presses, Seated Rear Lateral DB Raises
    2 x Back: Pullups, Cable Pulldowns
    2 x Triceps: Skull Crushers, Cable Pushdowns
    1 x Traps: DB Shrugs
    1 x Abs: Leg Raises

These are of course only examples, there are plenty of other exercises that can be used as replacements. There are also plenty of other workout plans such as HST, German Volume Training, etc. What's most important is that the training is intense and that all major muscle groups are involved throughout the week.

4 Psychological Tips and Tricks

- It is possible that you will not "see" changes in the mirror unless your bodyfat is rather low. Don't panic, as long as the rules are followed, everything is right on track.

- If at all, only assess your physique right after a workout. At other times it's too dependent on water retention, and the mind will play tricks on you (telling you your progress sucks, etc.).

- Have a cheat/pig-out day once in a while, where you eat what you want. I had one every week on my last diet. Don't feel guilty about it, as long as the rules are still followed (total intake still leads to the desired rate of weight change), everything is allright.

- Don't take the whole thing too serious. It's better to not care about it so much. See it more as being the coach of another person, rather than yourself.
  • waterproof
    Options
    5 Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I determine how much calories I should consume?
    A: You can just go by what you currently eat and reduce from there as described in the guide. Alternativiely, use a calorie calculator like the "Total Metabolism Forecaster", see link section.

Q: Is it important to get the same amount of calories resp. macros every day?
    A: No, it's OK to eat a little less one day and more the next.

Q: How do I determine my lean body mass for calculating my protein intake?
    A: You have to take your total body weight and subtract your fat weight. If you e.g. weigh 200lbs and your bodyfat is 20% (=40lbs), your lean body mass is 200lbs - 40lbs = 160lbs. If you don't know your bodyfat, just take a guess. When in doubt, just eat a little more. However, if for some reason, you can't eat as much protein, just eat a little less, most people will still do fine.

Q: Does it matter where I get my protein from and what are good protein sources?
    A: Generally, it does not matter. You can get your protein from meat, fish, eggs, cheese, protein powder, etc. Although there are differences in quality (regarding muscle sparing effect), they can easily be made up for with just a little more quantity.

Q: I work out less/more than 3 times a week, is that OK?
    A: Yes, as long as all other essential rules are followed. Some people get away with less, some do better on more.

Q: I lost a lot of weight in the first few weeks but weight loss has slowed down, why?
    A: The initial weight loss was probably mostly water loss. Stay at the current intake for at least another 3 weeks. If weight loss stalls, slightly reduce calories as described in the guide.

Q: What about keto diets?
    A: Principally, keto diets (very low carb diets), as long as they follow all rules, would be fine. IMO, some people have a problem preserving muscle mass on a keto diet. For other people it works great. I don't think keto diets provide a significant advantage other than maybe being more convenient for some people.

Q: What about post workout nutrition?
    A: I would not intentionally starve myself of protein after a workout. A meal containing some protein or a shake is perfectly fine.

Q: Apart from body composition, what about health?
    A: First of all, it is important to distinguish between the goal of optimal body composition and the goal of optimal health. For the former, the guide provides all essential rules. For the latter, opinions vary a lot between experts and over time (see e.g. saturated fat, GI, food processing, cholesterol, etc.). Therefore, IMO the best way to go is to eat a wide variety of foods.

Q: How can I lose fat in certain areas of my body?
    A: Although there are theories that spot reduction is possible to a certain degree, generally IMO it's not feasible. You can only reduce overall bodyfat and wait for the problem areas to come in.

Q: What exactly is your diet?
    A: My cutting diet is somewhat extreme (see Links section). For bulking, I add a meal or two. That's just the most convenient way for me. However, every other diet that follows the essential rules is also perfectly OK.

Q: Should I eat differently on workout days than on off days?
    A: That's not necessary, but if you're hungrier on workout days, you can eat a little more (out of convenience).

Q: Does this guide also work for girls?
    A: Of course!

6 Links

How to lose fat for Noobs: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=113693871
    How to lose fat for Noobs part 2: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=127867323
    Wavelength Cutting Diet: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...1&postcount=33
    Total Metabolism Forecaster: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=114980801
    Minimum Nutritional Requirements: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=113310851