Mitt Romney Would Make A Better President Because He Has Business Experience.

Options
Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in The Social Lounge
This seems to be a popular point among Romney supporters. For example, this comes from an NPR article:
Linda Wendt is the owner of a restaurant on Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin. Republican Mitt Romney "has done what I've done, so I can relate to him," she says. "He knows what business goes through and what it takes to run a business."

But honestly, how valid do you think this point is? Because I have second thoughts, if not the opposite opinion, about this line of reasoning.

1. The President of the United States does not need to be a businessman. A businessman-president might also be a bad thing. The nation is not a business, and the president needs to run a nation not a business. Same goes for pastors, school chancellors, etc. When we expect pastors to run churches like businesses, we run the risk of missing the essential value of what a church is meant for. Doesn't this apply to presidents as well? Perhaps, Americans are too business-orientated?

2. The President of the United States does not need to be a businessman. He can easily have business advisors to help him deal with business matters.

3. American citizens are exploited by (big) businesses and corporations ad nauseam yet we, the citizens, still continue to support and throw ourselves at the mercy of businessmen??

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The crazy thing about all that is: if the government is a business, who is the consumers? What is the government going to do with profits? And let's not forget there's nothing democratic (or even republican) about businesses.

People fall into bumper sticker slogans and don't think critically.

The major issue: people want to run the government on what THEY want and not what the PEOPLE want.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    ^^^ exactly. truth.
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Keep ? that chicken
  • heyslick
    heyslick Members Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    This seems to be a popular point among Romney supporters. For example, this comes from an NPR article:
    Linda Wendt is the owner of a restaurant on Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin. Republican Mitt Romney "has done what I've done, so I can relate to him," she says. "He knows what business goes through and what it takes to run a business."

But honestly, how valid do you think this point is? Because I have second thoughts, if not the opposite opinion, about this line of reasoning.

1. The President of the United States does not need to be a businessman. A businessman-president might also be a bad thing. The nation is not a business, and the president needs to run a nation not a business. Same goes for pastors, school chancellors, etc. When we expect pastors to run churches like businesses, we run the risk of missing the essential value of what a church is meant for. Doesn't this apply to presidents as well? Perhaps, Americans are too business-orientated?

2. The President of the United States does not need to be a businessman. He can easily have business advisors to help him deal with business matters.

3. American citizens are exploited by (big) businesses and corporations ad nauseam yet we, the citizens, still continue to support and throw ourselves at the mercy of businessmen??

Yeah! mister President is real smart when he relies on business advisors such as this one

As the administration struggles to ? businesses to create jobs at home, GE has been busy sending them abroad. Since Immelt took over in 2001, GE has shed 34,000 jobs in the U.S., according to its most recent annual filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. But it's added 25,000 jobs overseas.

At the end of 2009, GE employed 36,000 more people abroad than it did in the U.S. In 2000, it was nearly the opposite.

Unions are worried. Leo Gerard, president of the United Steelworkers, said he hopes the Immelt-led White House panel won't be dominated by big business.

"It has to have more than CEOs that are already operating offshore," Gerard said.

Foreign work has proven lucrative to GE. In 2007, it derived half of its global sales from work abroad. In 2009, that share increased to 54 percent. U.S. sales have shrunk.

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Governments need to be run and especially a democratic government needs to be run as such and not like a big business. Businesses do whatever they can do to get the consumers and control the market and that doesn't sound like anything we need, we need better spending and prioritization on our econmics, moral laws, military, etc.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Governments need to be run and especially a democratic government needs to be run as such and not like a big business. Businesses do whatever they can do to get the consumers and control the market and that doesn't sound like anything we need, we need better spending and prioritization on our econmics, moral laws, military, etc.

there is an element of truth to the bolded

the govt, churches, schools, and nonprofits do actually need to be run like businesses..............however Romney is a poor candidate

people forget the president is similar to a CEO position

America would be better served better with a president who used to run a small manufacturing business........not a financial one like Romney SMH
  • FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is like saying your dad could be a better coach for the yankees cuz he coached your little league team.

private equity is one VERY small part of our economy. It's not even what makes our economy go.
  • heyslick
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

there is an element of truth to the bolded

the govt, churches, schools, and nonprofits do actually need to be run like businesses..............however Romney is a poor candidate

America would be better served better with a president who used to run a small manufacturing business........not a financial one like Romney SMH

Unlike President Obama btw who's never managed anything or balanced budgets - Seriously just what has this President done for the good of others - besides his twisted and radical ideology.

Unlike his tenure at Bain Capital and as governor of Massachusetts, there’s very little Democrats can say that will undermine or pick apart Romney’s Olympics record. It’s also a high profile example of Romney’s business acumen that actually has a real-world connection to most peoples’s lives.

• Plutarch
    Options
    FucktheIC wrote: »
    Is like saying your dad could be a better coach for the yankees cuz he coached your little league team.

I mostly agree. I can imagine that being president of a country and being CEO of an admittedly large business aren't exactly equivalent and translatable even though the experience doesn't hurt.
    private equity is one VERY small part of our economy. It's not even what makes our economy go.

Agreed, but it seems that our leaders want to change this imo. There's nothing wrong with capitalism in itself, but we seem to be overdoing it?
    mc317 wrote: »
    Keep ? that chicken

I'm going to not believe that you read the thread title only and posted an uninformed reply without reading the original post. After all, the overwhelming majority of poster on the IC have superb reading skills.

I might agree with the bolded, but I disagree that the government, churches, and schools need to be run like businesses. Ok, maybe it's a reality that they are run like businesses, but I don't think that's progressive or conducive to the wellbeing of citizens.

Yes, the president makes big decisions like a CEO, but his decisions shouldn't be based on maximum financial profits.
    heyslick wrote: »
    Unlike President Obama btw who's never managed anything or balanced budgets - Seriously just what has this President done for the good of others - besides his twisted and radical ideology.

I'm a very fair man, but the bolded is just preposterous. You clearly have a negative bias towards Obama. It's hard to reasonably consider anything you say about him.

Anyways, the point behind my point that Obama does not need to be a businessman is that a president does not necessarily have to have business experience in order to be a good president. If Obama has bad business advisors, he needs to cancel them and get good ones. Hell, if Romney is a good businessman and can do better (which I doubt), then hire his ass. The point is that the president having business experience is irrelevant since the president's overall duties isn't the equivalent of the overall duties of a CEO.
    Unlike his tenure at Bain Capital and as governor of Massachusetts, there’s very little Democrats can say that will undermine or pick apart Romney’s Olympics record. It’s also a high profile example of Romney’s business acumen that actually has a real-world connection to most peoples’s lives.

Wait wait. I need to ask you this question: Do you honestly think that Romney will be a significantly better president than Obama?
  • heyslick
    Options

I mostly agree. I can imagine that being president of a country and being CEO of an admittedly large business aren't exactly equivalent and translatable even though the experience doesn't hurt.

Agreed, but it seems that our leaders want to change this imo. There's nothing wrong with capitalism in itself, but we seem to be overdoing it?
    mc317 wrote: »
    Keep ? that chicken

I'm going to not believe that you read the thread title only and posted an uninformed reply without reading the original post. After all, the overwhelming majority of poster on the IC have superb reading skills.

I might agree with the bolded, but I disagree that the government, churches, and schools need to be run like businesses. Ok, maybe it's a reality that they are run like businesses, but I don't think that's progressive or conducive to the wellbeing of citizens.

Yes, the president makes big decisions like a CEO, but his decisions shouldn't be based on maximum financial profits.

I'm a very fair man, but the bolded is just preposterous. You clearly have a negative bias towards Obama. It's hard to reasonably consider anything you say about him.

Anyways, the point behind my point that Obama does not need to be a businessman is that a president does not necessarily have to have business experience in order to be a good president. If Obama has bad business advisors, he needs to cancel them and get good ones. Hell, if Romney is a good businessman and can do better (which I doubt), then hire his ass. The point is that the president having business experience is irrelevant since the president's overall duties isn't the equivalent of the overall duties of a CEO.

Wait wait. I need to ask you this question: Do you honestly think that Romney will be a significantly better president than Obama?

This country needs leadership and this man isn't leading,he's more about dictating what he wants & how hes gonna transform America. He has NO RESPECT for the constitution - unfortunately those who want him out aren't gonna see much change until his 2 term is over...he may even go for a third term?? the white guilt trip in this country got HIM into office & along with corruption and the Attorney general (NO voter ids required) Obama wins again....OH ? !

• blakfyahking
    Options
    @Plutarch

running a business is not about solely maximizing wealth

at the minimum even nonprofits have to follow basic business mantras about being able to maintain higher revenues and control costs

not being able to balance a checkbook is what is killing many govts, schools, churches, etc..............you can't accomplish your ultimate mission if you're choked down in debt
  • Plutarch
    Options
    ^^ yeah, those are very fair points, especially considering our current national debt crisis.

but still, isn't a business like a machine that treat human beings as potential expendables for the sake of the wellbeing of said business? you can see how dangerous that might be when applied to the government. i understand the reality/possibility that the government's primary objective might be self-preservation at all costs, but the fact that the government essentially = the people should never forgotten. what's a government without its citizens?
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    A balanced budget isn't always a necessary goal and that is mainly a rule for states rather then the fed.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/the-trouble-with-balanced-budgets/
    The government can run deficits indefinitely, without federal debt rising relative to gross domestic product, so long as one year’s economic growth pays off the previous year’s deficit.

Deficit spending is necessary to stimulate the economy. Ask Raygun. What's needed is avoidance of foolish decisions like Medicare B and Two wars along with deregulation. People cry about regulation but forget the ? that business used to do to people and competing businesses when there were no rules.
  • blakfyahking
    Options
    ^^ yeah, those are very fair points, especially considering our current national debt crisis.

but still, isn't a business like a machine that treat human beings as potential expendables for the sake of the wellbeing of said business? you can see how dangerous that might be when applied to the government. i understand the reality/possibility that the government's primary objective might be self-preservation at all costs, but the fact that the government essentially = the people should never forgotten. what's a government without its citizens?

nah that's an exaggeration.............most people talk about business like that as a political talking point

most people don't even realize small businesses make up like 90% of all businesses in America

and most of those businesses are family owned/or a close knit group of employees..............even in business school the ethics of corporate responsibility are constantly taught at a nagging level

the reality is that the govt treats certain citizens as expendables anyways.....haha
  • ThrillerALi
    ThrillerALi Members Posts: 18
    Options
    Mitt Romney could have been a slave owner...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6R9s0T-2Rc
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MITT ROMNEY AINT PAY NO TAX!
    MITT ROMNEY AINT PAY NO TAX!

This cracka does not support
  • ImTheKangRoundHere
    ImTheKangRoundHere Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    [img]https://sphotos-b.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s480x480/184128_465576406797745_1927842875_n.jpg[/img]
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ron Jeremy would be a good sex education teacher because...

See what I did there?