Why is Dwight Howard the default defensive player of the year?

Options
2»

Comments

• will grimey
    will grimey Members Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    radaman wrote: »
    thats not what the WHOLE concept of defense is tho ? ... there are some ? on the perimeter that will disrupt your offense(Rondo, CP3, etc), I would just like to see other ? outside of Centers and PFs win the award from time to time...

Damn i was just about to type Rondo & CP3's name...those the only guys that come to mind..

edit: Gerald Wallace is a problem...
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Hey it's whatever, i just think there is this bias for big men when it comes to this award. Perimeter defense is the hardest ? to play especially against good ball handlers, quick players, guys who got good shooting skills and can drive. It ain't that hard to body someone who is playing with their back to you.

i hear you, but being under the rim you have to worry about your man, and whoever comes into the lane. when jameer nelson matadors his guy into the lane, he's done with him. the play is damn near out of his hands. dwights gotta pick up his slack, but worry about his man so he doesnt get an easy dunk or lob

truth be told, this ? gerald wallace ought to be making some all nba teams or something. he's guarding the other teams top threat for 40 minutes a night, and giving you 18-11 on offense.
  • will grimey
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ? Shitman wrote: »
    i hear you, but being under the rim you have to worry about your man, and whoever comes into the lane. when jameer nelson matadors his guy into the lane, he's done with him. the play is damn near out of his hands. dwights gotta pick up his slack, but worry about his man so he doesnt get an easy dunk or lob

truth be told, this ? gerald wallace ought to be making some all nba teams or something. he's guarding the other teams top threat for 40 minutes a night, and giving you 18-11 on offense

co-sign the bolded...Some of the best in the game are playin the 3...Wallace competition>>>>Dwight's
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Gerald Wallace should win it plain and simple...

Dwight and Bron only get credit cuz they get the jaw dropping blocks on sportscenter..

Wallace will do that and shut a ? DOWN straight up
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I feel ya but right now I just can't think of ANY 1 guard that can shut down everyone....There's no Darelle Revis in the NBA...

You got to also take affect that Howard isn't the primary offensive player or playmaker on his team, dudes like Bron,Wade,Kobe,etc are the primary scorer and facilitator on their teams. I couldn't even imagine playing all out on the offensive side and having to shut down perimeter players.
  • CJ
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I feel ya but right now I just can't think of ANY 1 guard that can shut down everyone....There's no Darelle Revis in the NBA...

shane battier comes really close...

dudes man D is crazy
  • will grimey
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You got to also take affect that Howard isn't the primary offensive player or playmaker on his team, dudes like Bron,Wade,Kobe,etc are the primary scorer and facilitator on their teams. I couldn't even imagine playing all out on the offensive side and having to shut down perimeter players.

Yeah especially if they like to come off the screen(ala Reggie Miller)....A player like Ray Allen is gonna work ya!
  • will grimey
    edited April 2010
    Options
    While we're talking defense, can my ? Camby get his props?
  • Dick Shitman
    edited April 2010
    Options

its damn near impossible. i remember after game 1 of the ECF, bron guarded turk/shard lewis and scored his 40 points and after the game he was gasping for air. they had just had a long break from sweeping the hawks and the best athlete maybe in the world was ? exhausted. mike brown switched him to pietrus to save him
  • radaman
    radaman Members Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    cj012890 wrote: »
    Gerald Wallace should win it plain and simple...

Dwight and Bron only get credit cuz they get the jaw dropping blocks on sportscenter..

Wallace will do that and shut a ? DOWN straight up

played against Gerald in High School, dude was a beast... this was when he was in 10th ? grade lol, I was a year ahead of him
  • will grimey
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ? shitman wrote: »
    its damn near impossible. I remember after game 1 of the ecf, bron guarded turk/shard lewis and scored his 40 points and after the game he was gasping for air. They had just had a long break from sweeping the hawks and the best athlete maybe in the world was ? exhausted. Mike brown switched him to pietrus to save him

true story
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I don't see how this is debatable, Howard is killing ? in the paint. Sending ? ? into the 3 row like it's normal.
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    yo if ya wanna go for best perimeter defender in the league this year, its not even close...Thabo Sefolosha from the Thunder
  • CJ
    edited April 2010
    Options
    While we're talking defense, can my ? Camby get his props?

He will always get his props, think he won in like '07?? But yeah camby been putting in work for yrs.
  • CJ
    edited April 2010
    Options
    CMac wrote: »
    I don't see how this is debatable, Howard is killing ? in the paint. Sending ? ? into the 3 row like it's normal.

^^^Die Hard Magic Fan post

lol
  • CJ
    edited April 2010
    Options
    yo if ya wanna go for best perimeter defender in the league this year, its not even close...Thabo Sefolosha from the Thunder

might be...dude did a number on kobe
  • txboi_09
    txboi_09 Members Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

Dude is pretty dam good. I remember a couple of years ago he shut down D Wade.
  • radaman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    yo, somebody put me up on this Sefolosha dude nh... Ive only seen him play a little, is he a monster on D like that?
  • Dick Shitman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    cj012890 wrote: »
    ^^^Die Hard Magic Fan post

lol

lol nah cmac is a miami wade...i mean heat fan
  • Dick Shitman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    yo, somebody put me up on this Sefolosha dude nh... Ive only seen him play a little, is he a monster on D like that?

dude is nice. just watch the okc-LA first round series to get all u need to know about him. he's gonna make kobe work for his points
  • CJ
    edited April 2010
    Options

Skip Bayless called this ? the thunders bruce bowen(in his prime of course)

Dude does have the potential to be, he was pointing out how the thunder seem to be using the spurs blueprint to building a contender.
  • radaman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    dude is nice. just watch the okc-LA first round series to get all u need to know about him. he's gonna make kobe work for his points

its on then....
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    he has jameer nelson, rashard lewis and VC starting with him and have a top 5 defense. that alone should get him some votes

this but Sefelosha is the beat 1 on 1 on the ball Defender in the game and should finish 2nd in the voting
  • will grimey
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Damn Rose just dropped 39 on Rondo...