Has Your View of America Changed Since 2004?

Options
DarcSkies
DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in The Social Lounge
"...who knew that could change? I dont even look at the flag the same"
-Lil Wayne.

Forgive me for starting off with a Lil Wayne quote (lol) but I also heard somebody say this on BIll Maher's show. Some white guy said he was surprised to hear a black person say how he never really felt " a part" of this country until he saw that white people were actually willing to vote for a black man and it was already proof of change.

Hell even Michelle Obama admitted that for the first time in a long time she actually felt proud to be an American.

Has the way you look at America changed since the election of Obama? Did it get a little better or are you still just as cynical (assuming you were already cynical) about the U.S?

Comments

• loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • BK Product
    BK Product Members Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes but not for the better... I am way more cynical about ? now. I used to take words at face value and didnt do a lot of reading. learning the history of the world has opened my eyes to alot of the behind the scenes ? and politicing.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In 04 most of us were teens, fresh out of high school. Now in 2012 we're adults with jobs and responsibilities, we see the how ? operates, so yes, we have to see things different since 2004, especially how America is.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    my view started changing in the 8th grade and that was like 2001

But since 2004? I guess. If it did, it wasn't a great change
  • BK Product
    BK Product Members Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    In 04 most of us were teens, fresh out of high school. Now in 2012 we're adults with jobs and responsibilities, we see the how ? operates, so yes, we have to see things different since 2004, especially how America is.
    thats real...
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My opinion has changed to a degree in realizing America is not as racist as it was back in the days. I'm still disgusted with American foreign policy and many domestic policies as well, but I admit I look at America a little bit more positive compared to the Bush days.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I never let a ? make me feel like i wasn't American. ? their feelings. My ancestors built this ? . We developed cultures that influenced the world over here. African Americans are the GOAT survivors that never had an option to run for the hills, emigrate, or kick out our enemies.
  • heyslick
    heyslick Members Posts: 1,179
    Options
    I used to believe that this country was TRULY the land of opportunity - Now I feel to many believe that this country owes them and if the don't get what they feel THEY DESERVE it's not THEIR fault....it's others. IMO this kind of mentality will not set well with many of fellow Americans..& it will divide us. So some folks believe/imply they single handily built this ? ....others feel that it took LOTS OF DIFFERENT people to build this country. YELP!! if weren't for slave labor America would still be just like any other third world country.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes and for the better. ? all that pessimism.
  • heyslick
    Options
    OH BTW - I'm learning new stuff every-time I see posters like the furiousone make those kind of comments above - NOW when are you and yours gonna do the same for me and mine - like start sharing SO I can prosper like President Obama talks about....btw I'm a poor white man....and supposedly never worked hard and everything was given to me because of my color.....so wheres my share? how come ALL of these multi millionaire black athletes et al aren't spreading there wealth around to the less fortunate.....basically redistribution of wealth as President Obama claims. WHEN ARE ALL OF THOSE BLACK RICH CATS gonna help poor white folks???
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yep, and for the worst. In 2004 I never paid attention to the world around me, I was 20 and wasn't aware of the world like I should have been. Since I grew up and became more educated, which made me how I am now.
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes dramatically. I was only 14 in 04 and thought America was this very happy place and naive about how bad blacks had it in this country until I started REALLY learning about our history and the world around me today.
  • Lege|\|dary
    Lege|\|dary Members Posts: 474 ✭✭
    Options
    America to me is a company who uses subtle methods to ensure there is always a work force that does allows the big shots to stay living fancy.

It's ideals, freedom and equality are pretty much a joke. But its still one of the better places to live in the world, and one day maybe those ideals will come to fruition.

Obama being in office hasn't really changed much of my view. Part of me feels he is just a puppet head to help minorities assimilate to the system but he is a nice change of pace from Bush.
  • heyslick
    Options
    I used to believe in America & for the most part still do - but trying to stay up with politics & OUR so-called leaders has really disillusioned me - to the point of NO return......I honestly feel that very few of our leaders are honest, there actions speak volumes. I feel the current administration is THE MOST CORRUPT and most deceitful batch of leaders this country has ever elected & another 4 years of said entity will be the END of America.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    America to me is a company who uses subtle methods to ensure there is always a work force that does allows the big shots to stay living fancy.

It's ideals, freedom and equality are pretty much a joke. But its still one of the better places to live in the world, and one day maybe those ideals will come to fruition.

Obama being in office hasn't really changed much of my view. Part of me feels he is just a puppet head to help minorities assimilate to the system but he is a nice change of pace from Bush.

Nice post, pretty much the same way I feel
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options

yeah basically. After school and personal experience, I have a much better understanding and appreciation of the idea of America, and for that exact reason, I'm that much more repulsed and disappointed by the reality of America.

if you are an American in 2012 and you are genuinely in touch with reality then I don't know how you can escape being cynical (and cynicism does not = pessimism btw). We have Obamney to look forward to running this country pretty soon. I mean honestly, Obama vs. Romney?? Does it really matter who wins in the end?

sorry, couldn't resist:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8H_7CBbIvY

1:25-3:10:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4i2weyjFo
  • heyslick
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »

yeah basically. After school and personal experience, I have a much better understanding and appreciation of the idea of America, and for that exact reason, I'm that much more repulsed and disappointed by the reality of America.

if you are an American in 2012 and you are genuinely in touch with reality then I don't know how you can escape being cynical (and cynicism does not = pessimism btw). We have Obamney to look forward to running this country pretty soon. I mean honestly, Obama vs. Romney?? Does it really matter who wins in the end?

sorry, couldn't resist:

The complacency of some folks really makes me wonder at times. You and those who talk like there's NO discernible difference(s) between the two candidates is laughable - Have you actually looked/searched the net to see what will happen if Obama loses? FYI there's literally hundreds of pages on this topic....so you actually feel it DOESN'T matter who wins? HUH! - I just don't like the subliminal message that lingers within about this election. IMO anyone who denies that there isn't one is only fooling themselves.

• heyslick
    Options

IMO even tho this could?/should? - HAS TO be ratified by the Senate - I wouldn't put it past President Obama to tryin pull something like this - you know hes always talking about the New World Order & being fair to EVERYONE on the planet.

President Barack Hussein Obama is attending a United Nations climate change conference in Copenhagen on December 9. He is expected to sign a new Kyoto-type treaty with the U.N. that places the U.S. economy effectively under the control of United Nations bureaucrats. The treaty, however, must be ratified by the U.S. Senate before it becomes official.

NO I don't trust this US government since Obama become President - Y should I? given what hes truly up 2 and what he wants for America - maybe its that FORWARD thinking of his - The UN telling America what to do -- WOW that is scary.

• Jabu_Rule
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    I don't trust this US government since Obama become

Very telling..

• heyslick
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »

Very telling..

Yeah! we got A great Government? e.g., they pass bills without reading them first - YEAH great logic.

• Jabu_Rule
    edited September 2012
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »

Very telling..

Yeah! we got A great Government? e.g., they pass bills without reading them first - YEAH great logic.

So are you telling me that this government hasn't always done that and your just now hating them cuz of Obiwan?
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »

sorry, couldn't resist:

Tell me about it man. Obama is a huge disappointment with his lack of inspiring ideals, and he's BARELY less of a warmonger compared to Romney. This election is basically Bush Lite (Obama) vs Bush Redux. In all honesty, aside from my mom (who is a HUGE Obama supporter), I don't know ANYONE pumped up for this election. Most people I know are apathetic towards this election or don't talk about it much.The deficit will increase by trillions more to prevent the economy from crashing (as it would in any other nation with 16 trilly in debt), the war in Afghanistan will rage on until 2024, and neither candidate wants to push for the legalization of medical marijuana. PATHETIC. As Cornel West eloquently stated, this election is between a disaster and a catastrophe.

No matter who wins, in the long run, America loses.