NFLPA tear Goodell and Owners a new ?

KINGOFDAARCADE
KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
http://deadspin.com/5945638/nflpa-executive-committee-absolutely-kills-nfl-owners-and-roger-goodell-for-locking-out-officials?tag=roger-goodell
TO: Owners of NFL Teams

DATE: September 20, 2012

RE: Your Lockout of the NFL Referees and the Negative Impact on Football

The NFL Players Association Executive Committee is calling on you to end the lockout of our referees. We believe there is substantial evidence that you have failed in your obligation to provide as safe a working environment as possible.

Your decision to lock out officials with more than 1,500 years of collective NFL experience has led to a deterioration of order, safety and integrity. This affirmative decision has not only resulted in poor calls, missed calls and bad game management, but the combination of those deficiencies will only continue to jeopardize player health and safety and the integrity of the game that has taken decades to build.

As we predicted and explained to you weeks ago, the removal of the veteran officials from regular season games left a group of your replacements who have proved to be incapable of keeping pace with the speed of the game. Coaches and players have complained of numerous errors and failures including: erratic and missed calls on egregious holds and hits, increased skirmishes between players and confusion about game rules. Many replacements have lost control of games due to inexperience and unfamiliarity with players and rules.

The headlines are embarrassing: a scab working a game despite having been on the payroll of one of the teams, another who was assigned to referee a team he publicly supported on Facebook, and one who is a professional poker player when you propose even more stringent player rules on gambling.

It is lost on us as to how you allow a Commissioner to cavalierly issue suspensions and fines in the name of player health and safety yet permit the wholesale removal of the officials that you trained and entrusted to maintain that very health and safety. It has been reported that the two sides are apart by approximately $60,000 per team. We note that your Commissioner has fined an individual player as much in the name of "safety." Your actions are looking more and more like simple greed. As players, we see this game as more than the "product" you reference at times. You cannot simply switch to a group of cheaper officials and fulfill your legal, moral, and duty obligations to us and our fans. You need to end the lockout and bring back the officials immediately.

We are all men who love and respect this game and believe that it represents something beyond just money. For our teammates, our coaches and our fans who deserve better, vote to end this lockout now.

The letter was also co-signed by players like Drew Brees and Scott Fujita.

Its looks like the players may end up going on strike and refusing to play if this ? continues. Its pretty sad when you replace 1,500 collective years of experience with a 0 years of collective experience.

And the NFLPA are 100% correct in everything that letter says.

I don't know how the league can continue the lockout on the refs. Sure the ratings are the same now. But we are only in Week 3. What happens when their are more blown calls and games being won by the wrong team? What happens when the hilarity is over and people start getting angry because their team got screwed? What's going to happen 13 weeks from now when everyone is fed up with the officials? What if the wrong playoff team advances to the SuperBowl because of a blown call from a former Lingerie Football League ref?

This has to end ASAP. If the real refs are not back by Week 5 or 6 I think all hell will break loose. Players will go on strike.

Comments

• Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't there an nfl thread? Go post this ? in there homeboy
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? my team 1-2..
    I aint counting us out but it dont look good...
    so Im happy the refs are ? ? up...
    ? this season...
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    The games are basically meaningless right now.

I don't know how anyone can truly say "My team beat yours" in games with pathetic officiating.

• dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't there an nfl thread? Go post this ? in there homeboy

Embrace the pigskin brother.
  • ATTS
    ATTS Members Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goodell knows ? will be back thurs watching nfl. ....... He dont give a ? ...a billion dollar business
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jayhi22
    jayhi22 Members Posts: 911 ✭✭✭✭
    I know it's highly unlikely, but are there any rumblings of a possible Player Strike?
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    jayhi22 wrote: »
    I know it's highly unlikely, but are there any rumblings of a possible Player Strike?

Pretty sure its coming if their isn't an agreement reached by Week 8.

The refs are going to continue ? up games. Its only week 3 and they've screwed up so much already.

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly...

This is where the NFLPA's blind hate of the owners rears its head.

The NFLPA is100% right here, but b/c they always on some angry man, exxagerated anti-league stance, i can't even take them serious. Boy who cried wolf
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    The games are basically meaningless right now.

I don't know how anyone can truly say "My team beat yours" in games with pathetic officiating.

Yea... I hear you

tuck-rule.gif
  • Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    jayhi22 wrote: »

Wasn't that part of the deal that ended the lockout, that players could not go on strike? And even if they could, they would just field the practice squad or some ?

• S2J
    See thats why i was slightly pro-ref in that other thread. Nggas are going overboard

Player strike?...the games are meaningless??? Cmon man. When Ed Hoculi blew a game on a call a few years ago did that season become meaningless?

Its bad, horrible even, but the game is STILL the game. Nggas actin like due to poor officiating the Browns can now sneak into the Playoffs on a fluke. Stop it.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Don't mind those Pats fans, they aren't used to the refs not giving their team the benefit of the doubt.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Nobody is concerned until the refs ? their game up. Their time will come and the "I wan't to ? now" podium will ready.
  • S2J
    I'm sayin...this ? has overshadowed the Saints goin 0-3 (is it me or is Brees n them more lawyers than players these days), that crazy ass Lions/Titans game, RG3 with a +100 rating AND a top 10 leading rusher, etc.

In a nutshell i care about this ref ? ...but then again i dont care
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont care about this ? because football season over for me already..

HEAT training camp starts in 4 days. Cant wait..
  • jayhi22
    jayhi22 Members Posts: 911 ✭✭✭✭
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    See thats why i was slightly pro-ref in that other thread. Nggas are going overboard

Player strike?...the games are meaningless??? Cmon man. When Ed Hoculi blew a game on a call a few years ago did that season become meaningless?

Its bad, horrible even, but the game is STILL the game. Nggas actin like due to poor officiating the Browns can now sneak into the Playoffs on a fluke. Stop it.

When he ? up a few years ago, it was a mistake.

These new dudes is ? up, and saving teams drives multiple times -- On the same drive.

There's a difference when a Pro messes up at his job, compared with an amateur, when you KNOW there are better referees out there, sitting on their couch.

I'm a 49ers Fan, but to see blatant ? called on legit rival teams makes the season somewhat tarnished.

Meaningless may be going too far, but it is tarnished.

• KINGOFDAARCADE
    Like I said before..... The normal refs might make 1 or 2 mistakes a game. It's simple human error. Good teams can overcome that.

But these replacement refs are making 10-15 bad mistakes per game. It totally changes the outcome of the game.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    depends on your definition of a mistake......even the normal refs miss several calls a game