Ross Perot: America could be ‘taken over’

Options
Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in The Social Lounge
By Brendan James | The Ticket

Former presidential contender and billionaire Ross Perot is worried that America is a sitting duck for an unnamed foreign invader. In an interview for his new autobiography, Perot said the nation's weak economy has left us open for a hostile takeover—and neither presidential candidate is the man to save the country.

Citing an impending fiscal cliff, Perot warned of disaster. "If we are that weak, just think of who wants to come here first and take us over," the former CEO of info-tech company Perot Systems told USA Today on Monday.

"The last thing I ever want to see is our country taken over because we're so financially weak, we can't do anything," Perot says.

When asked for his take on the presidential race, Perot added, "Nobody that's running really talks about it, about what we have to do and why we have to do it. They would prefer not to have it discussed."

However cryptic he may be, this is the first political reckoning by Perot in years, ever since he withdrew from the political landscape after the fall of his Reform Party in the 2000 election. The man who ran the most successful third-party campaigns in contemporary American politics also expressed optimism about the current tea party activism and its efforts to "wake up" both Washington and the electorate.

Still, he thinks that even the fresh voices in the populist, small-government tea party movement aren't focusing on the real doomsday issue: the deficit. Comparing the Washington establishment to a bunch of fiscal drunks, Perot is still waiting for America to undergo an intervention, before it finds itself owned by a new global power. "It's like the guy who's drinking—sooner or later, he's got to put a cork on the bottle, right?"

Comments

• illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Perot railed against NAFTA and ended up being right. Won't be too long before foreign money starts pouring into the campaign and then they will be beholden to foreigners.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ross Perot was right
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ross Perot was right but the media clowned him and as usual the people fell for it.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Ron Paul 2012/2016, ftw. Paul and others like him (and Perot) had and have painstakingly emphasized this exact point. Paul wanted to shift the focus/concern to strengthening our national defense at the domestic sector and have America adopt a non-interventionist (not isolationalist) policy.

Likewise, he wanted to discontinue our international campaign of imperialism at the foreign sector - the very thing that seeks to make the United States public enemy/target number one, provoking all enemies of America (driving many of them to terrorism) to attack the United States at home and abroad.

He even tried to tell America the truth about 9/11, but of course, like Perot said in the article, nobody wants to hear the harsh truth, so they booed him while Romeny, Guiliani, and the other drones pandered and encouraged America to stay blissfully ignorant.

Paul connected all of this to America's national debt, and proposed several progressive and logical methods of debt relief. But we ignored him. Meh.

Anyways, Perot speaks the truth in the article. It's just unfortunate how he chooses to do it. What he's doing comes dangerously close to scaremongering. Too much rhetoric is disingenuous. Comes off as loony or propagandist. And judging from the post above me, I'm guessing the media took it as the former.
  • heyslick
    heyslick Members Posts: 1,179
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Perot railed against NAFTA and ended up being right. Won't be too long before foreign money starts pouring into the campaign and then they will be beholden to foreigners.

Just image what will happen when President Obama gives up Americas sovereignty to the UN....he will do that in his second term....remember I told you so.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we already been taken over financially

physically the country appears to be free because of the military we have

we'll see what time it is tho whenever Iran finally gets a nuke and Israel launches one

• heyslick
    Options
    we already been taken over financially

physically the country appears to be free because of the military we have

we'll see what time it is tho whenever Iran finally gets a nuke and Israel launches one

So you actually believe that this President isn't working to give up our nations sovereignty. If our so-called leaders can pass bills before they even read them - what makes you think they wouldn't sell out the country.

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    Just image what will happen when President Obama gives up Americas sovereignty to the UN....he will do that in his second term....remember I told you so.
    if this does not happen, i am going to remind you of your prediction every single time you post.
  • heyslick
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    if this does not happen, i am going to remind you of your prediction every single time you post.

OK! I've said this before and I'll remind you - since this election is rigged and Obama has already won - it's gonna be hard for you to remind me CONSTANTLY when I won't be here (posting within) any longer. (btw) I don't play those games and change user names and get a new IP address.

• Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »

OK! I've said this before and I'll remind you - since this election is rigged and Obama has already won - it's gonna be hard for you to remind me CONSTANTLY when I won't be here (posting within) any longer. (btw) I don't play those games and change user names and get a new IP address.

How about you speed up your departure since Obama is practically victorious already.. I mean, you already know the future so, use time travel.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    OK! I've said this before and I'll remind you - since this election is rigged and Obama has already won
    i think i must have missed this because i kind of tune out when people start rambling about insane, unsupported conspiracy theories. but that's my problem and i am dealing with it.
    -it's gonna be hard for you to remind me CONSTANTLY when I won't be here (posting within) any longer.
    if i don't have to, i don't have to. but if i do...
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options