Pharoahe Monch New Hip-Hop Album [EP] “P.T.S.D.” [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in The Essence
(AllHipHop News) Veteran MC Pharoahe Monch has announced a new album titled P.T.S.D. (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).
The album is being released through Pharaohe Monche’s independent label, W.A.R. Media in partnership with legendary Hip-Hop label DuckDown Music.
P.T.S.D. (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) is a conceptual album that takes the listener through the trials and tribulations of an independent artist, a black male, who is at war with the music industry.
The first track from the album is titled “Damage,” which was produced by Lee Stone.
According to representatives for Pharaohe Monche’s W.A.R. Media, the rapper is currently planning a fall tour to support the release with Jean Grae and Mr. ? .
Check out “Damage” here, or visit www.Pharoahe.com for more information on P.T.S.D. (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and tour dates.

Yall excited? i know I am. Dude aint dropped a wack album.

Thread Update:

This is taken from a HipHopDX interview from November:

DX: On W.A.R., the conflicts were largely “man vs. machine,” with a little bit of “man vs. self” at the end with “Still Standing.” Is P.T.S.D. going to be more of “man vs. self?” conflicts, dealing with the internal?

Pharoahe Monch: Definitely. It’s the stress after the traumatic experience. It’s sorta like, if you watched the “Clap” video, it’s what happens to that person after he saw what happened at the end of that video. What happens to a person when your child it shot, or your brother is shot, and you see it? What happens to a person when you get so depressed that you contemplate the worst? What happens to a person when they think this is it, and you’re ready to make this love step, and it doesn’t work out? We understand heartbreak, but for the first time, I’m a bit…way more introspective, I think, than I’ve ever been before.

We know Pharoahe is known for multi-syllabic rhyme schemes, flows, vocabulary. But this record gets really with depression. Depression from medication. Depression from the music industry. Trial and tribulations. You expressed in “Still Standing” that you have asthma, but where are you with it now? Are you better? What are you doing? How’s the health care working out with you and all of that? It’s not easy. That’s what I like about this record. It’s not easy. It’s challenging, and it’s risk-taking. There’s a record on here that one-hundred-and-thirty-one beats per minute. So pulsating, it’s a protest record. Before performing this record, I will explain how I will be able to tell who has a living thing inside of them, because there’s no way...you can be a fan of music—I’m not saying you have to like this record, but you have to feel this record. I’ve been listening to this song repeatedly…and I’m just eager to see if people can handle that tempo.

DX: Will P.T.S.D. feature any of your own production?

Pharoahe Monch: No. It’s Lee Stone, Marco Polo, DJ Boogie Blind, and Lion’s Share [Music Group], who did “Calculated Amalgamation” [on W.A.R.].

DX: Are you consciously producing less these days? W.A.R. had less of your production than either Desire or Internal Affairs.

Pharoahe Monch: I think after this project, it’s going to allow me some time… I have a whole horde of melodies, harmonies, arrangements, samples, that have been sitting there for a while. It just hasn’t been what I’ve wanted to express. My anxiety comes from having enough time to get all of this stuff out of my head.

DX: Are any of those items you’re planning to use down the line for some of the projects that you’ve mentioned you wanted to do? You mentioned a “female-friendly EP” and Rock vs. Disco.

Pharoahe Monch: Yep. That’s exactly what they’re for.

Rest of the interview.

Release date: Was originally slated for the fall of 2012. Didn't happen. There's still no official release date according to Wikipedia.

Comments

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    his last few joint have been meh...
    he gotta come with some Internal Affairs level ? for me to buy it...
  • Lou Cypher
    You didnt like WAR?

I thought Desire was good. had a few meh songs imo but i blamed that mainly on production.

WAR i thought was dope almost the entire way thru
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    EXCITED???? YES!!!!!

Really enjoyed W.A.R. In fact, it grew on me the more I checked for it. It was just one of those records that fell on the GOAT day for underground hip hop. Didn't 'Te and another two great records drop on that day? I think it was Evidence and someone else…

Incredible…

When's it coming out???
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    EXCITED???? YES!!!!!

Really enjoyed W.A.R. In fact, it grew on me the more I checked for it. It was just one of those records that fell on the GOAT day for underground hip hop. Didn't 'Te and another two great records drop on that day? I think it was Evidence and someone else…

Incredible…

When's it coming out???

Loved WAR from the drop bar 1 track so looking forward to this drop.

@Ruffdraft
    I think you got your days confused. Phonte, Evidence, 9th Wonder and J Cole all dropped this time last year, whereas Pharoah and Cunninlynguists dropped same day in March.

REKS, Lasers and Raekwon dropped March 8th too.
  • Lou Cypher
    Yeah CL definitely threw shade on WAR. I didnt listen to War till like 3 months after it was out lol
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is going to be quality one of the few that never disappoint. I am still rocking W.A.R.
  • RuffDraft
    EXCITED???? YES!!!!!

Incredible…

When's it coming out???

Loved WAR from the drop bar 1 track so looking forward to this drop.

@Ruffdraft
    I think you got your days confused. Phonte, Evidence, 9th Wonder and J Cole all dropped this time last year, whereas Pharoah and Cunninlynguists dropped same day in March.

REKS, Lasers and Raekwon dropped March 8th too.

Props couldn't remember, is the thread title misleading BTW? Has he even set a date?
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this
  • starvin
    starvin Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    He should be as big as em ..looking forward to the album though
  • vslyke
    vslyke Members Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    WAR & Desire were good, but I think we all know Monch is capable of more. The first leak from this was great, hopefully the rest of the project is of that caliber.
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    Ahhh i dunno if im copping to be honest, W.A.R for me was dissapointing..... Desire was a 4/5 album
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When does it drop?
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2013
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    When does it drop?

It's like I said earlier in the thread, it's a misleading title; but Lou's never said whether he has the release date or not and he's a solid poster so I'm not doubting him.

Anyways, more on this album and I'll update the first post and make this the official thread when it drops. This is taken from a HipHopDX interview from November:

DX: On W.A.R., the conflicts were largely “man vs. machine,” with a little bit of “man vs. self” at the end with “Still Standing.” Is P.T.S.D. going to be more of “man vs. self?” conflicts, dealing with the internal?

Pharoahe Monch: Definitely. It’s the stress after the traumatic experience. It’s sorta like, if you watched the “Clap” video, it’s what happens to that person after he saw what happened at the end of that video. What happens to a person when your child it shot, or your brother is shot, and you see it? What happens to a person when you get so depressed that you contemplate the worst? What happens to a person when they think this is it, and you’re ready to make this love step, and it doesn’t work out? We understand heartbreak, but for the first time, I’m a bit…way more introspective, I think, than I’ve ever been before.

We know Pharoahe is known for multi-syllabic rhyme schemes, flows, vocabulary. But this record gets really with depression. Depression from medication. Depression from the music industry. Trial and tribulations. You expressed in “Still Standing” that you have asthma, but where are you with it now? Are you better? What are you doing? How’s the health care working out with you and all of that? It’s not easy. That’s what I like about this record. It’s not easy. It’s challenging, and it’s risk-taking. There’s a record on here that one-hundred-and-thirty-one beats per minute. So pulsating, it’s a protest record. Before performing this record, I will explain how I will be able to tell who has a living thing inside of them, because there’s no way...you can be a fan of music—I’m not saying you have to like this record, but you have to feel this record. I’ve been listening to this song repeatedly…and I’m just eager to see if people can handle that tempo.

DX: Will P.T.S.D. feature any of your own production?

Pharoahe Monch: No. It’s Lee Stone, Marco Polo, DJ Boogie Blind, and Lion’s Share [Music Group], who did “Calculated Amalgamation” [on W.A.R.].

DX: Are you consciously producing less these days? W.A.R. had less of your production than either Desire or Internal Affairs.

Pharoahe Monch: I think after this project, it’s going to allow me some time… I have a whole horde of melodies, harmonies, arrangements, samples, that have been sitting there for a while. It just hasn’t been what I’ve wanted to express. My anxiety comes from having enough time to get all of this stuff out of my head.

DX: Are any of those items you’re planning to use down the line for some of the projects that you’ve mentioned you wanted to do? You mentioned a “female-friendly EP” and Rock vs. Disco.

Pharoahe Monch: Yep. That’s exactly what they’re for.

Rest of the interview.

Release date: Was originally slated for the fall of 2012. Didn't happen. There's still no official release date according to Wikipedia.

Subject matter sounds really dark, just hope there's some light in the record, although I'm all for introspective 'ish. I wish he'd sack Marco Polo off, as I'm not a huge fan of his production. Pharoahe was born to be on Apollo Brown's beats. If anything can blow hip hop up, it'd be a Pharoahe Monch album with Apollo Brown.