Murs & Fashawn Dropping 'This Generation' September 25th, 2012. Cover & Tracklist

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in The Essence
Murs.Fashawn_This.Generation.Cover_-450x402.jpg
Album art and track list taken from HipHopDX.com

Tracklist:
1. Just Begun
2. 64’ Impala
3. Reina De Barrio (Ghetto Queen) Feat. Adrian
4. Stone Cold
5. Yellow Tape Feat. Krondon
6. Peace Treaty
7. And It Goes
8. Slash Gordan
9. Heartbreaks & Handcuffs
10. This Generation Feat. Adrian
11. Future Love
12. The Other Side

This is an interesting combination… although to attack every era of hip hop sounds too broad a sound for the album to be cohesive, which is a disappointing factor without having heard the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvYMXOVHw-M

I like the beat on this though, knocks. They make their contrasting mic personas work relatively well too, IMO.

Still, I'd rather hear the sophomore release from Fashawn.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cs on hearing Fash sophmore.....

but i guess this will have to do. do you know any of the producers on this?
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @RuffDraft been waiting for that Fash sophomore for awhile now, but this has potential though. Could be really good if they can get Exile and Madlib to drop some beats for it.
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2012
    Options
    cs on hearing Fash sophmore.....

but i guess this will have to do. do you know any of the producers on this?

Yeah, his sophomore has been slated for a fall release for some time… I guess it could still drop before the end of the year, he certainly was making it sound that way a short while ago…

Producers for this are Beatnick & K-Salaam. I've downloaded The World Is Ours. Going to listen to it tomorrow to get a feel for the producers, but they've worked with many talented underground emcees, including Mos Def.
    achewon87 wrote: »
    @RuffDraft been waiting for that Fash sophomore for awhile now, but this has potential though. Could be really good if they can get Exile and Madlib to drop some beats for it.

Yeah, I agree that it has potential, they sounded nice alongside one another in the topic post. But Madlib and Exile won't be producing anything on there…

Exile is supposed to be producing the sophomore release though (Fashawn's), as you probably know already.
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hmmm if fash gets exile on the sophmore then it could be cool and wack at the same time.

Pros of getting ex back:
    - they have a dope album under their belt so their we already know their sounds comlpliment each other well
    - they understand each others work ethics
    - we would hopefully get what we got with "boy meets world"

Cons:
    - We would probably get what we got with "boy meets world" although a dope, and could be argued classic album (depending on your idea of classic, and what you look for in hiphop), no one wants to hear the exact same ? in a different way, we tryna see growth, the ability to adapt.

lets see what we get though.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    bdbdbd wrote: »
    hmmm if fash gets exile on the sophmore then it could be cool and wack at the same time.

Pros of getting ex back:
    - they have a dope album under their belt so their we already know their sounds comlpliment each other well
    - they understand each others work ethics
    - we would hopefully get what we got with "boy meets world"

Cons:
    - We would probably get what we got with "boy meets world" although a dope, and could be argued classic album (depending on your idea of classic, and what you look for in hiphop), no one wants to hear the exact same ? in a different way, we tryna see growth, the ability to adapt.

lets see what we get though.

There's also the argument, to me personally, that Fashawn sounds at home with Exile and doesn't sound as nice over other production… but this album may change that view…
  • achewon87
    Options
    Just copped it hopefully get to it later on; still got to listen to Ab-Soul and new Lupe which I just got.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    Really enjoyable listen, they have good chemistry and the beats are decent selections.

Definitely in my top ten, even getting close to top 5 of the year. Great listen, but doesn't touch the three in my sig, I don't feel… Looking forward to hearing the onslaught of albums that we've had recently (and the ones to look forward to), got a few threads that need making!
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont like a lot of the beats tbh.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    Haha there's a downer… I definitely think Fashawn should have gone ahead with Exile and got his sophomore out the door… but I think maybe my low expectations for this release are perhaps what made me enjoy it, even more so than I expected to. On first listen, I enjoyed the beats whilst I was working, you fancying something harder? @Lou Cypher
  • achewon87
    Options
    I really want to like this album, there are a few gems to be sure but there are experiment type tracks as well. I do think the production is lacking that BOOM-BAP, but in fairness the it would look like the producers have done a lot Dancehall tracks or blends and it shows on this album. I tried to listen to their mixtape but could not find it as I wanted to hear what kind of direction the sound would take on this album.

The lyrics are on point and the two mesh pretty well together. I would rate it a solid 3/5, nothing spectacular but worth the listen and worth the price if your fans of either emcee.

OT: I felt pretty much the same way about the new Lupe
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    I really want to like this album, there are a few gems to be sure but there are experiment type tracks as well. I do think the production is lacking that BOOM-BAP, but in fairness the it would look like the producers have done a lot Dancehall tracks or blends and it shows on this album. I tried to listen to their mixtape but could not find it as I wanted to hear what kind of direction the sound would take on this album.

The lyrics are on point and the two mesh pretty well together. I would rate it a solid 3/5, nothing spectacular but worth the listen and worth the price if your fans of either emcee.

OT: I felt pretty much the same way about the new Lupe

OT???

Seems I'm alone in terms of the production, that may also mean that I don't have very high expectations off the back of this year… I really think it's been disappointing from what I've listened to… bar the three in my sig and a few others…

That said, the fall is looking to change that… could be one of the more memorable ends of the year in recent times…
  • achewon87
    Options
    @Ruffdraft

OT - Off Topic

Yeah the production is different which is not a bad thing but not what I expected from these 2 artist. As for not much standing out this year, I am ok with that, I have 2 out of the 3 in your sig and they are quality. I can live with that.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    Which one are you missing?

Thanks for OT.

Yeah, it's cool and all… I'm glad there's still dope hip hop music… but it's just a hard grind to keep up with it all and see so few great albums… where as, I feel about 3 years ago, there was a great album dropping monthly… we're now in September… and it seems the fall will always be the time to check for hip hop music…

What other records have you felt this year?
  • achewon87
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Brother Ali is the only one I have not heard yet. TBH I have never listened to any of dudes music but I know he gets great reviews. Here is a list of stuff I felt this year.

Clear Soul Forces - Detroit Revolutions
    Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
    Premo & Bumpy - The Kolexxxion
    Big K.R.I.T.T. - Live from the Underground
    Large Professor - Professor @ Large
    Nas - Life is Good (About 1/3 of the album...lol)
    Punchline & DJ Soulclap - Underground Superstars
    Apollo Brown & O.C. - Trophies
    Oddisee - People Hear What They See

It looks like there is a ton of good stuff coming this fall if it all gets released; Prince Paul, Sean Price, Buckshot and 9th to name a few, looking forward to it.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Buckshot and 9th are making another album?!

Why didnt you guys tell me this?!
  • achewon87
    Options
    @LouCypher Here's a link about it, no track listing or anything like that, but they did announce it.

http://tiny.cc/vkbdlw
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Brother Ali is the only one I have not heard yet. TBH I have never listened to any of dudes music but I know he gets great reviews. Here is a list of stuff I felt this year.

Clear Soul Forces - Detroit Revolutions
    Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
    Premo & Bumpy - The Kolexxxion
    Big K.R.I.T.T. - Live from the Underground
    Large Professor - Professor @ Large
    Nas - Life is Good (About 1/3 of the album...lol)
    Punchline & DJ Soulclap - Underground Superstars
    Apollo Brown & O.C. - Trophies
    Oddisee - People Hear What They See

It looks like there is a ton of good stuff coming this fall if it all gets released; Prince Paul, Sean Price, Buckshot and 9th to name a few, looking forward to it.

Yeah, I feel you on that; as I'm not the biggest Ali fan, but Rain Water and a number of his other classics I've always felt and I think it's definitely worth a listen (new album). In fact, I'd urge you to do so.

Big K.R.I.T's is nice too… I just haven't bumped it like the other three… Pro's was a sleeper, I really enjoyed it along with the Underground Superstars. The only one's that I haven't heard are Clear Soul Forces (would you urge me to check that?), as well as Premo's.

LOL @ Lou. I appreciate that we still have The Essence. I also appreciate you still checking the board as my work schedule really doesn't allow me to be as good a mod as I used to be for the board and that really frustrates me. Thanks for playing a part and keeping the discussion flowing.
  • achewon87
    edited September 2012
    Options
    @Ruffdraft 100% check out Clear Soul Forces really dope music, in fact it was my top album until you put my on to Trophies and the Oddisee joint. And I am shocked you have not heard the Premo and Bumpy album, it is really dope for what it is. They use some rejected beats from other rappers it is interesting, I can see the other rappers using them.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    @Ruffdraft 100% check out Clear Soul Forces really dope music, in fact it was my top album until you put my on to Trophies and the Oddisee joint. And I am shocked you have not heard the Premo and Bumpy album, it is really dope for what it is. They use some rejected beats from other rappers it is interesting, I can see the other rappers using them.

Dope, two more albums to check it, props!!! I haven't been as up on my underground hip hop this year, but I'm glad I got you to put me onto some in return for these!

Looking forward to hearing them, props.
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This was a dope project imo, easily 3.5-4/5..Fash and Murs meshed well together, lyrics and content was there and the production was solid..this met my expectations and I'm glad they decided to do a full length project together..