The Official MMA Thread: Alvarez TKOs Gaethje, Ngannou KOs Overeem, Holloway TKOs Aldo

Options

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know it's late, but I never saw this. It's pretty funny especially given the fight's outcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZNM5raAM0o
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's being an underdog and then there's not even being realistic competition. Anderson got dudes out here on there 20th fight looking like it's their first. It'd be one thing if he fought at 100% from jump, but he's beating these dudes half sleep and in this case standing against the cage.

I'm not saying GSP has no shot but he needs to fight about 10 tune-ups before taking the challenge. By then, age should've dulled Silva's senses. Hell, Jones and Anderson are like 2 inches apart in height and walk around at the same weight before cuts, and I don't even see that freak messing with him.

You can see Jones's confidence fluctuates when his opponents get off on him consistently and Silva's stays the same regardless, so the minute Jones gets unsure because he got hit too many times, Anderson would snatch his soul.

It's just ridiculous.
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rumor is Jones and Silva both do not want to fight each other.

I kinda dont see how they can continue to dodge each other

Light Hvyweight is kinda sparse.

If GSP wins his next fight he's fighting Silva at catchweight. GSP will get destroyed.....
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I like Silva better than Jones, but I don't see Silva beating Jones. If Sonnen could take Silva down and keep him there for a whole fight, Jones can too. The difference is Jones will actually be able to finish once he gets him there.
  • Amotekun
    Options
    Jones maybe the first competitor that Silva takes seriously.

Jones actually has nice skillset.

I mean just because of the depth of Silva's martial knowledge I'd give the fight to him.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like Silva better than Jones, but I don't see Silva beating Jones. If Sonnen could take Silva down and keep him there for a whole fight, Jones can too. The difference is Jones will actually be able to finish once he gets him there.

but sonnen did that while silva had a broekn rib and the grandma or somebody just passed.

at full health...sonnen got ? .

i dont think jones and silva should fight each other...an yes, im about to make it racial.

i rather see two black men at the top...thats why they dont want gsp fighting....they want one of these ? to drop off.

naw...black men...rule your division and dominate all pink toes.

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    pralims wrote: »

but sonnen did that while silva had a broekn rib and the grandma or somebody just passed.

i dont think jones and silva should fight each other...an yes, im about to make it racial.

i rather see two black men at the top...thats why they dont want gsp fighting....they want one of these ? to drop off.

You forget Sonnen did the very same thing to Silva in the first round of the second fight. Again, if Sonnen can do that, so can Jones and Jones will actually finish once it gets to that point.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You forget Sonnen did the very same thing to Silva in the first round of the second fight. Again, if Sonnen can do that, so can Jones and Jones will actually finish once it gets to that point.

You havent watched mma long enough, the first fight only reason chael was able to do that is because anderson ribs was ? up, look at teh stand up exchanges sonnen who has so so hand if that was getting the best of teh exchanges because silva was injured, when do you see anybody tag silva flush? and watch the second fight, silva came out swinging wild at a wrestler like a noob, he did that on pourpose so sonnen can try his best then what happened Silva ? him up, even mike Goldberg said it in the Bonner fight
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Anderson-Silva-x-Stephan-Bonnar.jpg
    ____________________________________________________-

LMMFAO @ Bonnar's ? expression after that pinpoint accurate knee to the liver. I'm weak.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Sonnen had the best chance to beat Silva, and if he couldn't do it I don't see any other middleweight having a chance. Weidman would be the next best thing, but he'd still get beat.

Man, Bonner was really spending some time in that tanning bed.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    edited October 2012
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd rather get punched in the head that take a nasty body shot.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited October 2012
    Options
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options

Jones and Sonnen have different styles though. Sonnen is more aggressive and utilizes double and single leg takedowns from the outside to get his opponents to the mat. Sonnen's striking is just a supplement to his main goal which is to take you down. He's even willing to eat some shots going in and he has the chin to take them.

With Jones, he uses a variety of takedown techniques but I think he mainly gets his takedowns from the clinch, which Silva is fairly strong in. Also he likes to stand with his opponents for prolonged periods of time which probably wouldn't be a good idea against Silva.

That said, if Jones can take down Machida, he can take down Silva. The thing is Silva is pretty good off his back though.

Greg Jackson is a master gameplanner though so if Jones were to fight Silva they'd build one optimal to beating Silva.
    Silva's just so unpredictable though. Needless to say it's an interesting fight.

No one besides arguably GSP presents a challenge though. A lot of people are gassing up Chris Weidman but IMO I don't even think he'd get past Belfort or Bisping. With Jones only people left are Henderson who barely has a punchers chance, Gustassfon who already got wrestlefucked by Phil Davis, and Machida again who still won't have anything for Jones.
  • sdotcarter111
    sdotcarter111 Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • lurkinassnigga
    lurkinassnigga Members Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't know if you guys ? with Jack Slack from ? Elbow, but he tends to give pretty good striking breakdowns. He did an article on Silva's cage strategy yesterday.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/10/14/3501572/ufc-153-results-anderson-silva-Stephan-Bonnar-Judo-Chop

If you don't feel like reading the whole thing, here's the important stuff.

Silva_Bonnar_1.jpg
    1. Silva holds Bonnar's right wrist with both of his hands.

2. Bonnar tries to hit Silva with his free hand, Silva takes his head to the other side of Bonnar's body - making it difficult for Bonnar to hit him with power.

3. Bonnar grips the back of Silva's head and switches his feet, telegraphing a knee.

4. Silva stands upright and turns his body as if to shoulder roll - as he is still holding Bonnar's right wrist he uses Bonnar's own arm to deflect the knee.

Silva_Bonnar_2.jpg
    1. Silva and Bonnar are tied up, Bonnar is moving his head back and forth.

2. Silva performs a small jumping motion with his legs, shoulder bumping Bonnar in the nose. This creates space between the men.

3. Silva pushes Bonnar away.

4. Silva connects a hard knee.

Silva_Bonnar_4.jpg
    1. Silva uses his elbows and forearms to deflect any elbow strikes Bonnar throws.

2. Silva assumes a high guard to block Bonnar's punches. Notice that he takes punches on his elbows rather than his gloves. This is important in MMA because covering with the gloves is as good as worthless but is still taught by some coaches.

3. Silva demonstrates the side step he used all night. He begins with his hands down against the cage.

4. Silva steps off to his left (to the outside of Bonnar's right elbow as Bonnar punches) and uses his left hand to parry the punch if it follows him. From here Silva landed a short right hook and re-clinched.

Silva_Bonnar_5.jpg
    1. Silva has a 2-on-1 on Bonnar's left arm.

2. Silva hooks behind Bonnar's left leg with his right and drives him over it.

3. As he drops the trapping knee to the floor Silva uses his right hand to catch Bonnar's elevated left foot and uses his left hand to drive Bonnar's hips backward.

4. Bonnar hits the deck and starts to come up but Silva is already on his feet and chasing the American.
    Below is the finish as Silva drives Bonnar into the fence. Few fighters take advantage of the elasticity of the fence but there is little doubt in my mind that this was Silva's intention as he drove Bonnar into it. He doesn't follow Bonnar into the fence but performs a jumping switch step in order to have his left knee meet Bonnar on his return

Silva_Bonnar_6.jpg
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

You havent watched mma long enough, the first fight only reason chael was able to do that is because anderson ribs was ? up, look at teh stand up exchanges sonnen who has so so hand if that was getting the best of teh exchanges because silva was injured, when do you see anybody tag silva flush? and watch the second fight, silva came out swinging wild at a wrestler like a noob, he did that on pourpose so sonnen can try his best then what happened Silva ? him up, even mike Goldberg said it in the Bonner fight

lol @ the bold as if you were about to drop something profound. I've been watching MMA as long as there has been MMA. However, I don't need that much experience with it to know that none of the stuff you just mentioned changes the fact that Sonnen was able to take Silva down and keep him down for an extended period of time in two different fights. Jones is a better wrestler than Sonnen, is stronger, and has more natural gifts. If Sonnen or Henderson or Lutter or anyone else that has taken Silva down can do it, so can Jones. The difference is, Jones has shown much better finishing ability on the ground than any of those mentioned.

And to someone else's point, Jones fights based on who he is up against. That's the reason he didn't take the Sonnen fight. He trained for Henderson and didn't feel comfortable taking on Sonnen even though they were relatively similar opponents. If he fought Silva, he's likely try to take him down pretty quickly. Like him or not, Jones is a smart fighter. He'd take it to the ground long before Silva really got cooking.
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This was one of the best cards this year. Anderson Silva once again showed us all why he's the goat. He played with Bonner like he played with Maia a few years ago but now he finished it. It kinda reminded of Roy Jones in his better days when he planted himself in the corner (who's old enough to remember that?). Which other fighter can show such domincance by standing against the cage to let his opponent do his thing? No way Bonner was gonna win that fight. Most be demoralizing for someone like Bonner.

There ain't really a credible contender for Anderson Silva. He's gonna retire as the GOAT I guess. Guess I'm the only one who doesn't really want to see Silva vs. Jones. I wanna see Silva vs. GSP though.
    I liked that armbar Nogueira put on Herman BTW. I was really happy for him.
  • Amotekun
    Options
    Muhannad X wrote: »
    This was one of the best cards this year. Anderson Silva once again showed us all why he's the goat. He played with Bonner like he played with Maia a few years ago but now he finished it. It kinda reminded of Roy Jones in his better days when he planted himself in the corner (who's old enough to remember that?). Which other fighter can show such domincance by standing against the cage to let his opponent do his thing? No way Bonner was gonna win that fight. Most be demoralizing for someone like Bonner.

There ain't really a credible contender for Anderson Silva. He's gonna retire as the GOAT I guess. Guess I'm the only one who doesn't really want to see Silva vs. Jones. I wanna see Silva vs. GSP though.
    I liked that armbar Nogueira put on Herman BTW. I was really happy for him.

Herman was a ? ? that whole night. I'm glad he got tapped out. "Jiu Jitsu doesn't work" How disrespectful.

What the ? stance was that he took against Nogueira, Flat footed, Left side forward , left hand extended, with right hand ready to counter

1) Flat footed: Cant move, too slow to generate power
    2) He stayed posting his jabbing arm so incorrectly. Not supposed to leave that ? out there.
    3) For someone who who says Jiu jitsu dont work he sure tried to catch noguiera with some in the first round.

As for Silva fighting Jones, man Iono. Silva moved back up to Lightweight, it seems almost inevitable.

Supposedly Silva is going to fight GSP at catch weight aint no tellin though.
  • Muhannad
    Options
    Yeah don't know what was Herman's problem.

I know Jones Silva will become inevitable as time passes but I'm not really anticipating that fight. One reason why that fight wouldn't materialize could be because the marketability of both fighters. While Anderson Silva is the GOAT he's not that popular with the masses beacause a. most casual fans can't appreciate his class, b. he can't speak English that well, c. he's black. Jon Jones is one of the most hated champs out there. UFC is about business. Why you think Brock got nthat titleshot with that record a few years ago? Why you think Kimbo got a chance on TUF? They had to cut him when he lost to a gatekeeper (Mittrione). Iono how they would sell that Jones Silva fight TBH.

I heard similar rumors about Silva vs. GSP but we'll see. I don't see how GSP could beat him except for scoring takedowns and keeping him on the ground, grinding out a boring decision win like he's been doing ever since Matt Serra knocked him out (yeah I said it).
  • Amotekun
    Options
    GSP aint winnin that fight. No...No How *Rob Parker voice*

Silva is just a master class. If Machida is the Ryu of MMA Silva is the secret unlockable boss character that ? break they controller over in fits of frustrations and L's.

Silva fights like he put in a Game Genie code before he steps into the ring. GSP looks superior against average opponents. I dunno how he'll look against someone beyond him.
  • lurkinassnigga
    lurkinassnigga Members Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Muhannad
    Options
    @ Amotekun. While GSP looks superior he's not really finishing these guys off but is content by grinding out decission wins. It's his job and I understand that and I got a great deal of respect for him, but he's not on Anderson Silva's level in any way. Only way he'll win is by neatralizing Silva through his wrestling...
    Was just about to post this. No disrespect but other then wrestling Iono what Chael could teach these guys. He's the prime example of a guy that talked his way into fights. Took a page out of that wwe playbook and ran with it.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sonnen is one lucky muthafucka