Kendrick Lamar Debuts at #2 on the BillBoard Charts with 240k Sold, More than J Cole

Options

Comments

• KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    LOL at explaining to do, like Dr Dre being on his first single didn't have anything to do with that. Lets see how the album perform over the long run, J COLE IS AT 630,000 COPIES SOLD, lets see if Kendrick album has legs like J Coles .

Was Jay-z all over J Cole's album, nope!
    51NWFNB00TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »
    Kushington wrote: »
    Great first week sales.

LA makin moves, bringing real music back to the mainstream with no gimmicks.

If a new nyc rapper can bring back the classic east coast style AND sell records, the down south fast food gimmick rap era (ymcmbmmg/bricksquad/etc) might finally end..

It should be Joey Baddass.

He doesnt have the momentum to sell records yet though.

Someone tell Jay Z to put out a Joey Badass record while we wait for Jay Electronica.

Joey BadA$$ is going to have to polish his flow a lil more and put out some more music. He's only 17 so he has a lot of time to build a fanbase.
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion. wrote: »
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    You can hit feelings all you want but don't act like J Cole didn't do all his ? without Jay-z public cosign. He had no lead single or video with Jay-z help.

Plus SLS leaked earlier than Kendricks.

Anyway though, i'm not even mad at Kendricks success, i'm happy good hiphop is winning. It's proof you can win being yourself instead of selling fake ? or using gimmicks.

Doesn't Cole have a whole label situation from Jay-Z tho ? I thought Roc Nation (or Live Nation in general) was entirely a deal for artists to tour and get the appropriate marketing ? Iuno bout the bolded fam.

Duke is going to refuse to give Kendrick the full respect he deserves, which is why he's talking about "Let's see how Kendrick does in the long run", when he was acting like Kendrick had no shot of outselling Cole out the gate.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Joey Bada$$ isn't saving anything. Boom Bap is dead. accept it
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options

Boom Bap is very much dead but so is NY lyricism. Maybe he can inspire dudes to step their bars up.
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1.2 mill
    ? i need to became a country singer

(imagine in country melody)
    im broke as ? ,only thing to my name is one last blunt
    no gas in my pick up truck,all out of beers thats just my luck
    hunting season im looking for duck,shot gun on deck ? ? get buck

All jokes aside . Most other genres will always outsell Hip Hop , especially now a days . For one HiP Hop as a whole lacks musical , secondly fans dont support the genre , and lastly Rapper and Hip Hop dont understand how to be a aritst instead of just a rap ? . Hip Hop sales have fallen because of the digital era , but they have fallen right where they are supposed to be .Good Hip Hop in not always good music . Good music is what keeps fans and Hip Hop lacks that . U give your favorite rapper a piece of sheet music or ask what key thier biggest hit is in they would ? bricks
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

Boom Bap is very much dead but so is NY lyricism. Maybe he can inspire dudes to step their bars up.

He's lyrical but he talking about the same things everyone else is. although i would like to see him develop. i also would like to see a East Coast "version" of Black Hippy, or at least a movement out here of dope artists, there's some in the underground with potential but we'll see if they get anywhere. i just find it funny that people care so much when a NY rapper doesn't rap over a boom bap beat but never ask for g funk to come back
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options

He's lyrical but he talking about the same things everyone else is. although i would like to see him develop. i also would like to see a East Coast "version" of Black Hippy, or at least a movement out here of dope artists, there's some in the underground with potential but we'll see if they get anywhere. i just find it funny that people care so much when a NY rapper doesn't rap over a boom bap beat but never ask for g funk to come back

The G funk and boom bap eras of production have passed.

Production is better today than ever before due to improvements in technology.

Those boom bap and g funk beats were made on mpc 60s with vinyl loops, beats today are made with protools and computers.
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options

I think Pro Era can be such but all of them are very young so they have time on their hands. And while Black Hippy is well... like their name more laid back. Pro Era is more so "? the Government" so their approach will be different
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    i really don't see Joey Badass and his crew breaking into the mainstream. I just don't. New York's sound is moving toward the Max B/Dipset/Southern influenced sound. A$AP Mob, Flatbush Zombies, Bodega Bamz, Chinx Drugz etc..also find it funny that no one cares if a southerner jacks the East
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Props to Kendrick Lamar. I wasn't expecting him to sell that much out the gate.
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black Hippy is very "? the government" as well tho..they always takin shots at politicians and talkin about conspiracy theories and ? like that
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options
    Flatbush Zombies are dope and nobody cares about A$ap Mob outside of Rocky of course. NYC is in a strange place musically everybody is so different from each other which is great but time will tell.
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Flatbush Zombies are dope and nobody cares about A$ap Mob outside of Rocky of course. NYC is in a strange place musically everybody is so different from each other which is great but time will tell.

Would you compare yourself to any New York rapper out right now? As in like influences
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

the Mob is building up their fanbase, but i doubt any of them will be big besides Rocky. i ? with Ferg and Da$h tho
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options

Would you compare yourself to any New York rapper out right now? As in like influences

Naw can't say that I can. I'm from Upstate so I'm a special case. I don't think I sound East Coast a lot of the times.

• sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Support Kendrick Lamar. Buy the album.

2qKMX.gif
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Naw can't say that I can. I'm from Upstate so I'm a special case. I don't think I sound East Coast a lot of the times.

Oh wrd, I can dig it
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Usmarin3.. karma is everything.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just be glad someone is doin good suprised other names didn't do as well with all the hype!
  • Slim85
    Slim85 Members Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good Sales, MAAD City......congrats 2 Kendrick
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Why was J Cole name mentioned? Just because usmarine said something negative about Kendrick?
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Jamaica wrote: »
    Why was J Cole name mentioned? Just because usmarine said something negative about Kendrick?
    Because that lil ? gimmick and its annoying as ? .. every thread he gotta compare whoever to J Cole as if Jcole is the standard that we hold any artist to nowadays.

he's a male Dretox.