What's missing in rap right now

white715
white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in The Reason
Sittin here listening to GKMC and even though I like the album it is missing something, that west coast sound. Not even to say you have to have a Dre sound or a Quik sound or a 90s sound but production it kinda sounds like everything else.

It seems like all these young artists have to same sound.

I'm not trying to be one of those cats that tells people how to make their music I'm just saying I miss that signature sound of a region and an artists signature sound within that region.

Comments

• jayeight
    jayeight Members Posts: 119
    edited October 2012
    I agree, gkmc is a damn good album though and on the west coast thing, the other half of the mad city track kinda makes it up for me. Overall its westcoast but not like the 90's its synth's and experimental stuff now. Track #11 is a example of today's westcoast music
  • El Payaso
    El Payaso Members Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    So you say all the new young cats have to same sound. OK and that's what you're ? about right?
    But then you say, they are missing that signature West coast sound. Which would be them all sounding the same right?

Do you understand why someone might think you are ? right now, or just ? stupid?
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    El Payaso wrote: »
    So you say all the new young cats have to same sound. OK and that's what you're ? about right?
    But then you say, they are missing that signature West coast sound. Which would be them all sounding the same right?

Do you understand why someone might think you are ? right now, or just ? stupid?

Read the entire post b, I said GKMC was missing a wescoast sound because thats where he is from, but on a whole all the new cats are missing their respective regional sounds.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Region Rap Is A Dying Artform Bruh ............. Has Been For Some Time

..........The Game Needs Balance To Answer Your Question
  • shtoopid
    shtoopid Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    asap rocky chopping & ? his vocals, rapping about sipping lean, and gripping woodgrain.
    drake, wiz khalifa, 2 chainz, and mannie fresh, are rapping on bay/la beats.
    white boys in germany are making gritty ny boombap.
    everybody & they mama have a song to a lex luger beat.

lets be honest. there's no such thing as a regional sound anymore, and there hasn't been for a while.
  • ImTheKangRoundHere
    ImTheKangRoundHere Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pac and biggie
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a terrible criticism of the kendrick album
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    fan support...
    cats of older generations seem to have abandoned the culture which has led to an arrested development...
    there is good music and diversity all around... it just needs support...
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    versatility..

everybody wanna follow the blueprint of the ? thats making money.

no one wants to be the one to stand alone. thats why i kinda like drake...he kinda stands alone but hes gettin sucked into the thug tough talk ? too.

hiphop is also missing loyal fans...

to many ? get on some jealousy type ? or some he didnt respond to a diss so i dont like him no more emotional ? .

think about 50 vs kanye
    ? cant tell me 50 is still corny when he constantly drops heat on his mix tapes but not good radio friendly music like ? still listen to the radio. ? was buying two and three kanye albums just to spite 50 and make kanye win.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fan support around this time of October 2011 Drake dropped take care that album moved 660,000 copies in one week Kendrick is going to expand his fan base around his second album because with this first album he dropped this is the first time some listeners being introduced to Kendrick.

But fan support is the one thing hip hop has to regain, because fans they will spend $20-$200 for some tickets to a live show for that artist but when the album drops they not putting down the $10 for the album.
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    shtoopid wrote: »
    asap rocky chopping & ? his vocals, rapping about sipping lean, and gripping woodgrain.
    drake, wiz khalifa, 2 chainz, and mannie fresh, are rapping on bay/la beats.
    white boys in germany are making gritty ny boombap.
    everybody & they mama have a song to a lex luger beat.

lets be honest. there's no such thing as a regional sound anymore, and there hasn't been for a while.

them beats YG be rhyming and them ? beats are still pretty much regional to the west coast ;)

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pralims Posts: 4,611
    8:29AM
    versatility..

everybody wanna follow the blueprint of the ? thats making money.

no one wants to be the one to stand alone. thats why i kinda like drake...he kinda stands alone but hes gettin sucked into the thug tough talk ? too.

hiphop is also missing loyal fans...

to many ? get on some jealousy type ? or some he didnt respond to a diss so i dont like him no more emotional ? .

think about 50 vs kanye
    ? cant tell me 50 is still corny when he constantly drops heat on his mix tapes but not good radio friendly music like ? still listen to the radio. ? was buying two and three kanye albums just to spite 50 and make kanye win.

drake aint anything new either. His rapping is a carbon copy of lil wayne and at the same time his so called R&B writing is vastly over rated not to mention the ? cant sing just like the many cant sing rappers who sang hooks like drake.

• aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Little JJ
    Little JJ Members Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm what the game's been missing and I will prove this to all of yall before my 25th birthday.
  • antarticp
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    Fan support around this time of October 2011 Drake dropped take care that album moved 660,000 copies in one week Kendrick is going to expand his fan base around his second album because with this first album he dropped this is the first time some listeners being introduced to Kendrick.

But fan support is the one thing hip hop has to regain, because fans they will spend $20-$200 for some tickets to a live show for that artist but when the album drops they not putting down the $10 for the album.

thats what the game is missing quality albums ... i dont blame fans .... why buy the album when its only 3 good songs on it ... and folks pay to see the artist perform ... cause they get to see them live ... plus when it comes to that album YOU DIDNT BUY ... that same artist who is mad you didnt buy the album is most likely only going perform those 3 good songs off the album ............ things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol ;)
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    antarticp wrote: »

thats what the game is missing quality albums ... i dont blame fans .... why buy the album when its only 3 good songs on it ... and folks pay to see the artist perform ... cause they get to see them live ... plus when it comes to that album YOU DIDNT BUY ... that same artist who is mad you didnt buy the album is most likely only going perform those 3 good songs off the album ............ things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol ;)
    People will buy a album if they have a connection to the artist of there is no connection they simply will not buy it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are missing positive music that is uplifting and songs that can be used in an anime.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Region Rap Is A Dying Artform Bruh ............. Has Been For Some Time

..........The Game Needs Balance To Answer Your Question

exactly. Asap don't sound like he's from Harlem, Cole don't sound like he's form NC, etc. Your sound should come natural, you shouldn't try to fit into a box based on where your from you should be making the best music possible. I like the sounds of every region but I could care less if an artist stays true to their region....
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    white715 wrote: »
    Sittin here listening to GKMC and even though I like the album it is missing something, that west coast sound. Not even to say you have to have a Dre sound or a Quik sound or a 90s sound but production it kinda sounds like everything else.
    Did you listen to "Compton"? The end of that song was in direct reference to the 90's Westcoast sound i.e. "California Love".
  • b@squ1@t redux
    b@squ1@t redux Members Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    more dead rappers
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • southernmade
    southernmade Members Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    even though it was a bit of a let down Krit's album sounds like a Real southern album.....no trap beats and no drake sounding beats...I believe he made a regional sounding album....that also could be the reason why it didnt do so well
  • antarticp
    antarticp wrote: »

People will buy a album if they have a connection to the artist of there is no connection they simply will not buy it.

if the album is good curiosity will pull anyone in ... if the album is garbage even if you got a connection you aint buying that ? .... let nas drop a dud i aint spending no $$$$$$ on it ......
  • antarticp
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    We are missing positive music that is uplifting and songs that can be used in an anime.

lol funny you mentioned that my nephews are anime fiends ... and they put me on to this dude that does that ... he found a nice little niche to get his rhymes out and his content is connecting the youth ... and hes getting mad plays on the youtube ......... hes got a nice lane folks is sleepin on