What Brought You To Comics?

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was (rather am,) enthralled with G. I. JOE, I loved the action figures, accessories, and to a certain extent, the cartoon. Even though the animated verison could be on straight wacky ? , i.e. blue and red lasers, and COBRA pilots ALWAYS successfully ejected from the Rattlers, and every member of the JOE team was a pilot. When I picked up G.I. JOE 43 and read the subsequent issues, I realized, the cartoon and the comic were only similar in name only, Snake Eyes was ? with Scarlett, not Duke. Hawk was the commanding officer, not Duke. Actually, in the original Marvel run with the exception of a few issues, Duke didn't appear much. G. I. JOE Headquaters, in the Marvel was located at the actual Fort Wadsworth in Staten Island. Larry Hamam's story telling was tight and on point. I always gave Larry Hama a lot of props as writer because he had to incorporate Hasbro's products into the storylines, such as Serpentor and new toys. However, he drew the line at Cobra La. Hama threaten to leave the series if he was forced to write in Cobra La. My love for the G. I. JOE came from the elements of realism he injected into the series.

I bought Superman well....because it was Superman. My first issue of Supes was 410 an Clark Kent was fired from WGBS for filing a false story. My other first titles were Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Secret Origins, M.A.S.K. and Sectaurs. I bought those issues, because being the naive fanboy, those books had, "1st Issue Collector's." on them.

My early collection for some reason was mostly DC titles, and that was purely by chance, at that time my only Marvel titles were toy tie-ins G.I. JOE, Transformers, and the short lived Sectaurs series. I was collecting for about two years before I bought a Marvelsuperhero title which was the Amazing Spider-Man 298, then I eventually bought an issue of X-Men. By now, I'm in the 9th grade, but since junior high, I was hearing about hope dope the X-Men were, especially this character named Wolverine that had claws. I bought issue 214 to what the hype was about. After reading that story arch, I saw why dudes were so hyped off X-Men.

Comments

• DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was drawn to them cuz I was always fascinated with science fiction.

That and the fact that I used to freehand replicate drawing the covers of a ton of books; I just couldn't shade/shadow to save my life.

Growing up, I swore I was gonna be a Marvel comic book artist.
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh yeah: I always read the X-Men off and on. But when issues 210 through 213 (The Mutant Massacre, which included my favorite Wolverine/Sabretooth fight) dropped, I was hooked.

#214 was when Malice possessed Dazzler, right?
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh yeah: I always read the X-Men off and on. But when issues 210 through 213 (The Mutant Massacre, which included my favorite Wolverine/Sabretooth fight) dropped, I was hooked.[/b]

I remember issue 213 on the newstands like it was today. Again telling my age, there used to be a time when comics were on sale in newstands, convience stores, and drug stores.
    #214 was when Malice possessed Dazzler, right?

Dude my X-Men collection is spotty. When I decided to start getting back issues again, I didn't know when to begin, so I decided to make it easy on myself and start at, "A," which is Action Comics, so I have a ways to go before I get to, "x."
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Always liked superheroes. Never followed the comics too closely. Grew up on X men, Spiderman, Batman, all those. Spawn movie came out and my step dad bought me a bunch of spawn comics (that i no longer have >.<) and i thought they were cool. New superhero movies came and sparked interest. Found DC rebooting with the new 52 and thought itd be a great jumping on point for me. Marvel had some relatively new titles and i got those too. then started picking up Spawn again.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1989 Batman was the first movie I ever owned. After that, it was a wrap.