Do Muslims and their mosques mobilize to help out victims of natural disaster?

Options
2»

Comments

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    the thing is, what i'm asking doesn't have anything to do with the media

Ok yeah well this is what you said:
    It's just that you mostly hear about churches and christians doing those types of things. but like i said, its probably more to do with this being a 'christian' nation

Most of what we "hear" about what goes on in our nation is through media. You're asking your question based off what you HEAR, not what you personally KNOW.

i also said its based off experience. and i just assumed people knew that churches do this kind of stuff by seeing it or hearing people talk about it. didn't mean to imply it was a media thing
  • Matt-
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    because i don't care what the media thinks. I already know what they think. i'm trying to understand what they actually do and don't do in regards to helping out during these events and in general.

but you think we don't do things to help our community because that's the notion the media wants to perpetuate (otherwise where did that idea come from?). so whether you realize it or not, it's obviously affecting how you judge/perceive muslims

If I let the media influence me like that, I wouldn't have bothered asking the question to begin with. I'm asking because I didn't know and I was curious. I have never seen it. But that doesn't mean they don't do stuff like that, which is why i asked
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    because i don't care what the media thinks. I already know what they think. i'm trying to understand what they actually do and don't do in regards to helping out during these events and in general.

i still don't understand. i thought that i gave you examples of muslim aid and how this aid is based on their religious principles. but you seem to have got what you wanted so *shrugs.*

the point about media that i was trying to make was that, most likely, part of the reason why you didn't know the answer to this question was because the media generally doesn't cover muslim aid, unlike christian aid. this is because of various American biases. we get a lot of our knowledge from American media. when something that exists is not covered, we might have no reference to validate its existence. consequentially, we doubt or question its existence.

• Matt-
    Options
    yes they do. the mosque in my city doubles as a red cross center for the area it's in. it's on the edge of the city, so it's actually quite a resource since there aren't many other building there (it's kinda rural). there's a presbyterian church near it, and they do a lot of it together

we're not monsters and terrorists like a lot of people and the media try and portray us to be. we actually care about our communities, and everybody in it, not just our people. people will have their assumptions tho i suppose. i swear i can't even count how often i hear "i can't believe you're muslim" from people, it's like they totally expect me to be arab and a religious zealot, it's shocking to them that i'm a normal person, which i find laughable

thank you. i know you aren't monsters. I just didn't know if it was a part of the religion to help out like that. i didn't know if they filled up buses and drove to other areas to build homes, clean up debris...? like that.

oh, they also do the habitat for humanity thing every year. i remember cuz my brothers and i would be doing that stuff all summer in h/s. blood drives, food banks, things like that

Thank you. I don't know what Islam preaches when it comes to doing things like that.. But you've help clear it up
  • Matt-
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »

i still don't understand. i thought that i gave you examples of muslim aid and how this aid is based on their religious principles. but you seem to have got what you wanted so *shrugs.*

the point about media that i was trying to make was that, most likely, part of the reason why you didn't know the answer to this question was because the media generally doesn't cover muslim aid, unlike christian aid. this is because of various American biases. we get a lot of our knowledge from American media. when something that exists is not covered, we might have no reference to validate its existence. consequentially, we doubt or question its existence.

I guess I didn't want to get the answers from more "media" I was looking for clarity from posters
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fair enough. not all media is bad (google and wikipedia can do wonders), but yeah, people on message boards can be good sources of information.
  • Matt-
    Options
    do you trust cab drivers?
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    CopperKing wrote: »
    the media wont report on anything positive muslims do regardless

well a lot of the major media outlets are reporting that Governor Chris Christie is giving praise and credit to Obama for his handling of the hurricane

wait a minute .............
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    because i don't care what the media thinks.

It don't matter. You brought em up. I'm just answering what you said. You said we don't really hear about it and I told you why. Your original question had already been answered at that point.

• a.mann
    edited October 2012
    Options
    gotta give it to Matt tho

he doing some high level advanced trolling here

real sophisticated stuff
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    do muslims help out the families of suicide bombers?
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The reality is muslims dont give a ? about western countries or anybody thats not a muslim. Not everybody is like that but their books pretty much says that ? . I know someone is gonna give me hell for saying that but its reality.

Thats why i find it funny to see black people claim islam, especially considering how racist alot of muslims are and have been historically. Same thing with christianity and other too tho.

There is a reason why most muslims are ex or current criminals. Not a coincidence. You attract people by fear, ask your local street thugs.
  • a.mann
    Options
    CirocObama wrote: »
    The reality is muslims dont give a ? about western countries or anybody thats not a muslim. Not everybody is like that but their books pretty much says that ? . I know someone is gonna give me hell for saying that but its reality.

Thats why i find it funny to see black people claim islam, especially considering how racist alot of muslims are and have been historically. Same thing with christianity and other too tho.

There is a reason why most muslims are ex or current criminals. Not a coincidence. You attract people by fear, ask your local street thugs.

Hafiz Saeed Offer To Help In Sandy's Aftermath

http://gma.yahoo.com/terrorist-offers-hurricane-aid-us-says-no-thanks-151821686--abc-news-topstories.html

The U.S. has turned down an offer of post-Hurricane Sandy assistance from one of the world's most wanted men, a Pakistani terror leader with a $10 million U.S. bounty on his head.
    Hafiz Saeed, an Islamist militant who is alleged to have masterminded the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks that left more than 160 people dead, issued a written statement Wednesday saying his organization was willing to send supplies and volunteers to help the U.S. East Coast recover.

"We are ready to send food items, medicines and doctors to the U.S. for the people affected by the storm," said Saeed. "America [may] fix bounties on our heads but as followers of the teachings of the Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him), we feel it is our Islamic duty to help Americans trapped in a catastrophe."

Saeed noted that the charity he heads had provided aid in Sri Lanka and Indonesia after the 2004 tsunami.
    Saeed is the founder of Lashkar-e-Taiba, a terror group banned by the Pakistani government, and still heads its charity wing, Jamaat ud Dawa. Earlier this year the U.S. State Department offered a $10 million reward for information leading to his capture or arrest.

• sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CirocObama wrote: »

It's nice to see people talk out their ass once in a while. Gives me a warm, tingly feeling inside.
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whatever you say ^

i guess you can just charge it to me being delusional huh? just post a few links like @a. mann to prove im wrong instead of dealing with the reality of the world, bet thatll teach me. again, not everybody is like that but the truth is alot are. there is a reason why more than half the world say the same thing.

no disrespect to you cuz i ? wit u @sully, but im j/s.