CIA Director David Petraeus resigns

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the timing of it is interesting. and obvious
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    let me guest,
    you been listening to the conservative right wing nut jobs latest narrative of the Benghazi "cover up"?

and this was all a ploy by Obama (who miraculously predicted he would win re-election)

• earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    even though he nominated him, obama didn't like petraeus after he got caught talking ? . this is probably icing on the cake for him.
  • Matt-
    a.mann wrote: »
    let me guest,
    you been listening to the conservative right wing nut jobs latest narrative of the Benghazi "cover up"?

and this was all a ploy by Obama (who miraculously predicted he would win re-election)

lol. all i saw was the headline. when ? like this happens RIGHT AFTER the election, its not hard to draw conclusions
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prolly the reason ? aint achieving ? in Afghanistan ....too busy getting some ass
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    he set the damn trend for year + long rotations.
    somehow i doubt you can blame this concept on Petraeus entirely
  • a.mann
    edited November 2012
    matt- wrote: »
    a.mann wrote: »
    let me guest,

lol. all i saw was the headline. when ? like this happens RIGHT AFTER the election, its not hard to draw conclusions

and if Romney would have won and Petraeus still decided to resign
    where would that lead the "conclusions?"

from what I understand Paula Broadwell, his biographer, was the woman he was ? around with and she was under investigation by the FBI for having access to his email. A VERY big no, no for a man of rank and station

needlessly to say the ? was goin' to hit the fan with a hell of scandal
    and without Kerry Washington around, he probably thought it best to come clean and
    resign then tarnish Obama's re-election momentum
  • a.mann
    edited November 2012
    was not expecting this
    who could blame the guy

this interview is hilarious considering how things turning out
    hahaha

Paula Broadwell
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFbVRfmNH4s

the entire interview
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-january-25-2012/paula-broadwell

safe bet Stewart figure it out or suspected he was hittin' it , cuz the innuendo here are relentless...lol
  • [Deleted User]
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "completely confident that the CIA will continue to thrive and carry out its essential mission"
    Dude gonna have a "heart attack".
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, if the HEAD of the CIA can get caught slippin....what chance do we have? I mean this ? has access to James Bond levels of secret gadgetry and covert ? ...and I'm trying to double up with a normal phone and a creep phone....SMH.

On another note...do you blame the ? ? Honestly?? I know it sounds ridiculous but I dont think he will get the backlash he normally would get when pics of his wife and the chic he cheated with start coming out. It wont be overt.....but underneath its pretty obvious.

Holly-Petraeus-aka-Holly-Knowlton-David-Petraeus-Wife.jpg

360318-paula-broadwell.jpg
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lmao @ james bond levels of secret gadgetry, This is whats funny about the military. An airman or lower rank gets caught and they get court martialed, kicked out, etc. but higher ranking people who are supposed to be the example just get "early retired" or "lose their position".
  • Matt-
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rage wrote: »
    Man, if the HEAD of the CIA can get caught slippin....what chance do we have? I mean this ? has access to James Bond levels of secret gadgetry and covert ? ...and I'm trying to double up with a normal phone and a creep phone....SMH.

On another note...do you blame the ? ? Honestly?? I know it sounds ridiculous but I dont think he will get the backlash he normally would get when pics of his wife and the chic he cheated with start coming out. It wont be overt.....but underneath its pretty obvious.

Holly-Petraeus-aka-Holly-Knowlton-David-Petraeus-Wife.jpg

360318-paula-broadwell.jpg

Well the FBI got him , investigating him for some reason
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited November 2012
    it's obviously more to the resignation than an affair.

& if that's ALL it is, then.....that's a pretty stupid reason for somebody's job to be on the line to the point where you have to fire yourself before you get got by someone else.
  • [Deleted User]
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

& if that's ALL it is, then.....that's a pretty stupid reason for somebody's job to be on the line to the point where you have to fire yourself before you get got by someone else.

like @blacksamson said federal jobs are different and like I was saying he's lucky he wasn't so high ranking. If that was me(I'm in the Air Force) i'd get kicked out...
  • a.mann
    edited November 2012

federal jobs are like that. you are held to a extremely high standard.

even down the troops.

it's a mental thing

if you never a held rank or position of such prestige

it's virtually impossible to comprehend why a person will just quit on their own terms,
    with his with head held high oppose to waiting until the ? hits the fan

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    no not entirely...
    more than half tho, you had to hhave been there, he actually made a rule that says we cant ask when we leaving.
    okay, but this still does not sound like Petraeus sat down in an office and said, "these dudes are working 18-month deployments, say i"
    Well the FBI got him , investigating him for some reason
    perhaps it was some FISHY reason?

FBI probe of Petraeus triggered by e-mail threats from biographer, officials say
    The collapse of the impressive career of CIA Director David H. Petraeus was triggered when a woman with whom he was having an affair sent threatening e-mails to another woman close to him, according to three senior law enforcement officials with know­ledge of the episode.

The recipient of the e-mails was so frightened that she went to the FBI for protection and help tracking down the sender, according to the officials. The FBI investigation traced the threats to Paula Broadwell, a former military officer and a Petraeus biographer, and uncovered explicit e-mails between Broadwell and Petraeus, the officials said.

When Petraeus’s name surfaced, FBI investigators were concerned that the CIA director’s personal e-mail account had been hacked and that national security had been threatened. The officials said further investigation, including FBI interviews with Broadwell and Petraeus, led to the discovery that the two were engaged in an affair.
    ...or just broads being crazy, the cause of 90% of life's problems
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator

federal jobs are like that. you are held to a extremely high standard.

even down the troops.

i get that...

it's still a bit antiquated that there's no separation between home & work life in that regard. some of that probly falls on our cultural norms, but i digress.

is it the scandal they're more worried about or the act itself?
  • Matt-
    i think this is just the tip of the iceberg.
  • a.mann
    edited November 2012
    more of the fact that he's the head of ? CIA and he let a jump-off have access to his email

if this had gotten out before he fessed up , it would been a PR blow to the Obama admin for sure

but the ramification is much bigger then that, considering the nature of the organization he was charged with

• a.mann
    edited November 2012
    apparently she was a nutjob obsess with him from the beginning

most detailed article yet...........

Petraeus's 'sex under the desk' mistress pictured just a few seats from his wife as colleague tells how she 'got her claws into him'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2231025/Petraeuss-sex-desk-mistress-pictured-just-seats-wife-colleague-tells-got-claws-him.html?ICO=most_read_module
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    alright for all those who think that Obama was apart of the resignation of David Petraeus, let's end it right here.

For all you rightwing nuts, Obama out smarted their ? again, they are so gung-? to get dirt on Obama they did Obama a favor, lol.....dumbassess

Report: FBI whistle-blower contacted Eric Cantor on David Petraeus affair

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor spoke to an FBI whistle-blower two weeks ago who accused then-CIA Director David Petraeus of having an extramarital affair and potentially jeopardizing the security of classified information, according to a news report.

Cantor’s chief of staff, Steve Stombres, later met with FBI officials to pass on the accusations from the whistle-blower, the New York Times reported on Saturday night.

Cantor’s involvement in the Petraeus scandal is the first indication that anyone outside of the FBI knew Petraeus was under scrutiny for an extramarital relationship or potentially leaking classified information.

The FBI had been investigating Petraeus for several months after his alleged mistress, author Paula Broadwell, was suspected of sending “harassing” e-mails to another woman close to Petraeus.

During their probe of Broadwell’s activities, FBI agents uncovered information about a reputed romantic relationship between Broadwell and Petraeus. Broadwell is the author of a flattering biography on Petraeus’s extraordinary military career that was released early in 2012.

There were also concerns that Broadwell may have obtained sensitive information via her ties to Petraeus.

But the revelation of Cantor’s role in the scandal - and the emergence of an FBI whistle-blower - raises dramatic new questions about how the bureau conducted what was clearly a hugely sensitive problem, both in terms of the FBI’s relationship with the CIA and what it could mean for the highly esteemed Petraeus.

It also raises the stakes for the political fallout surrounding the scandal. Top CIA officials have been asked to brief members of the House Intelligence Committee next week on what happened and how the case unfolded.

“I was contacted by an F.B.I. employee concerned that sensitive, classified information may have been compromised and made certain [FBI] Director Mueller was aware of these serious allegations and the potential risk to our national security,” Cantor said in a statement.

Petraeus resigned on Friday after 14 months atop the CIA while admitting to an extramarital affair. The announcement stunned Washington, as lawmakers, Obama administration officials and the press scrambled to find out the reasons behind his abrupt departure.

James Clapper, director of National Intelligence, only learned about the FBI probe on Tuesday, according to news reports. Following discussions with Petraeus, Clapper told the CIA director he should resign. Petraeus then met with President Barack Obama on Thursday to inform him of that decision.

The informant was brought to Cantor’s attention by Rep. David Reichert (R-Wash.). Reichert declined to comment on his role in the scandal.

A Cantor aide said Stombres met with FBI officials on Oct. 31 to pass on the allegations about Petraeus.

Cantor’s office declined to provide more information beyond saying that the New York Times report “was accurate.”

It is unclear if Cantor told Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) or other top House Republicans - including Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers (Mich.) - of the allegations surrounding Petraeus.

It is also unclear if the informant who Cantor interviewed was tied to Petraeus or any of the other individuals caught up in the scandal.