New Super Mario Bros U and Nintendo Land Reviews

focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
New Super Mario Bros. U - 9.1 - AMAZING

It’s difficult to find freshness or brilliance in a 2D landscape. Mario’s world is now three decades old. That would seem to suggest new territory is scarce, and in some ways the formulaic New Mario series had come to reinforce that fear. But New Super Mario Bros. U demonstrates there’s not just life left in this type of game, but that it can be modern and nostalgic at the same time.

Nintendo’s approach here strikes a great balance in all areas, ranging from its difficulty to design to enemies and bosses. And for everything the basic Story Mode does right – and that’s a considerable amount – the Challenge Mode will be remembered as a key moment in the life of the New Mario series, where Nintendo realized it didn’t have to sacrifice the core gamer’s experience at the expense of a more casual audience. This is how Mario can and will appeal to everyone.

+Excellent design
+Brilliant Challenge Mode
+Retro, yet fresh
+Great difficulty balance
– Satisfactory visuals, audio

Nintendo Land - 8.7 - GREAT

Nintendo Land is a brilliant show of what Nintendo’s new console and tablet controller are capable of, and has far more depth and content then you’d expect from a mini-game collection. The attractions are ridiculously fun and offer plenty of variety, whether you’re flying solo or entertaining a group. Throw in high scores to best, gold trophies to earn, stamp achievements to collect and tons of Plaza decorations to unlock, and what you’ve got is an experience that must not be missed, and probably the best show of Wii U available at launch.

+Fun alone or with friends
+Lots of variety and content
+Great introduction to Wii U
– Grandma might not understand

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/15/new-super-mario-bros-u-review?abthid=50a543d6805e433640000011
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/15/nintendo-land-review

Comments

• focus
    edited November 2012
    Sion. wrote: »
    I still think the Wii U will be lukewarm at it's release compared to the Wii

Wii U should launch even better than the Wii did.
    Wii U pre-ordered more than original Wii
    By John Kinsley
    ON NOVEMBER 12TH, 2012 IN FEATURED, NEWS

When Wii U pre-orders opened in September, the console sold out less than a week later. Nintendo was rumored to have allocated as many as 400,000 units for pre-orders in North America, and those consoles have been sold out for weeks now. GameStop’s waiting list for a Wii U has surpassed 250,000 gamers, Nintendo revealed last month.
    The biggest game retailer in the world, GameStop, announced last month that Wii U pre-orders were “off the charts“. In the UK, game retailer GAME said that pre-orders were “exceeding expectations“. And it certainly appears so, as there is no pre-order inventory anywhere.

But how does the current pre-order success compare to the original Wii, which is the best selling home console in Nintendo’s history? Wii U Daily spoke to half a dozen game retailers across California, some independent establishments and some which were part of larger chains. Every single one of them reported that the Wii U currently has more pre-orders than the original Wii back in 2006.

One retailer in Los Angeles told us that Wii U pre-orders are about 3:1 compared to the Wii, while others are seeing anywhere from 50 to 100 percent increase in pre-orders for the new console compared to the old. This isn’t that big of a surprise, actually, since the Wii was a new phenomenon back in 2006. Today, “Wii” is an established brand, and its easy to see the Wii U attract more pre-orders than the original console.

When the Wii launched back in 2006, it was sold out for many months to come. If the Wii U is already getting more pre-orders, we’re likely to see shortages and sell outs once it hits the stores. Analyst Michael Pachter recently said that he too believes the Wii U will sell out until next year, despite Nintendo manufacturing “1 million Wii U consoles per month”.

Nintendo is rumored to allocate 1.5 million Wii U consoles for North America in 2012, while shortages are expected in the UK. According to Nintendo, the UK Wii U supplies will be “tight”, with as few as 25,000 consoles available on launch day.

The Wii U launches on November 18 in North America in two flavors: a $299 Basic set, and a $349 Deluxe set with a few accessories and a copy of Nintendo Land.

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/11/wii-u-pre-ordered-more-than-wii/
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    No real man will ever purchase a Nintendo Wii U
  • focus
    edited November 2012
    KillaCham wrote: »

LOL. Says the Nicki Minaj stan.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nintendo Land looks like fun...When I have to hoes over I can bang them at it..then just bang them
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    focus wrote: »
    KillaCham wrote: »

LOL. Says the Nicki Minaj stan.

?
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wii U will be under the tree for Xmas.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Wii U getting got. That is all.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had my doubts at first, but after actually holding one and seeing the demo vids, oh yes. I shall be getting one. Is it too late to purchase Nintendo stock??
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've checked Toys R Us, Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart and GameStop, absolutely no Wii U's left and most the games are nearly sold out.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah if they can get 3rd party support, then the wii u will be a hit. The wii was a wonderful concept, but c'mon. No good games. No 3rd party support. Those 2 alone was its demise. That's why I was hesitant on gettin the wii u. B/c IF I do decide to get it, I don't wanna get burnt like i did the wii.

And yes the 2d Mario is fun, but they need to get back to the platform format like Mario64 and Mario Galaxy.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mate they need to sort out the two player gamepad issue...as far as I kno', playin' with two gamepads isn't on the cards at the moment
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably because there's no games that require it just yet. I'm sure they'll come.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

By John Kinsley

When Wii U pre-orders opened in September, the console sold out less than a week later. Nintendo was rumored to have allocated as many as 400,000 units for pre-orders in North America, and those consoles have been sold out for weeks now. GameStop’s waiting list for a Wii U has surpassed 250,000 gamers, Nintendo revealed last month.
    The biggest game retailer in the world, GameStop, announced last month that Wii U pre-orders were “off the charts“. In the UK, game retailer GAME said that pre-orders were “exceeding expectations“. And it certainly appears so, as there is no pre-order inventory anywhere.

But how does the current pre-order success compare to the original Wii, which is the best selling home console in Nintendo’s history? Wii U Daily spoke to half a dozen game retailers across California, some independent establishments and some which were part of larger chains. Every single one of them reported that the Wii U currently has more pre-orders than the original Wii back in 2006.

One retailer in Los Angeles told us that Wii U pre-orders are about 3:1 compared to the Wii, while others are seeing anywhere from 50 to 100 percent increase in pre-orders for the new console compared to the old. This isn’t that big of a surprise, actually, since the Wii was a new phenomenon back in 2006. Today, “Wii” is an established brand, and its easy to see the Wii U attract more pre-orders than the original console.

When the Wii launched back in 2006, it was sold out for many months to come. If the Wii U is already getting more pre-orders, we’re likely to see shortages and sell outs once it hits the stores. Analyst Michael Pachter recently said that he too believes the Wii U will sell out until next year, despite Nintendo manufacturing “1 million Wii U consoles per month”.

Nintendo is rumored to allocate 1.5 million Wii U consoles for North America in 2012, while shortages are expected in the UK. According to Nintendo, the UK Wii U supplies will be “tight”, with as few as 25,000 consoles available on launch day.

The Wii U launches on November 18 in North America in two flavors: a $299 Basic set, and a $349 Deluxe set with a few accessories and a copy of Nintendo Land.

*rubs hands together*

Hehe... if this ? works out well.... bwahahaha

lol you got shares of Nintendo b?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh just realized my question was already answered
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator

By John Kinsley

*rubs hands together*

Hehe... if this ? works out well.... bwahahaha

tumblr_ltqmf43N581qkx6n4.gif