The Govt being allowed to read your personal email without a warrant

Options
blakfyahking
blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in The Social Lounge
How much privacy are Americans willing to give up?

You cool with any government agency having the authority to read your love letters to ya ex without a warrant?

SMH @ what happened to the American ideal of liberty haha

Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants

A Senate proposal touted as protecting Americans' e-mail privacy has been quietly rewritten, giving government agencies more surveillance power than they possess under current law.

CNET has learned that Patrick Leahy, the influential Democratic chairman of the Senate Judiciary committee, has dramatically reshaped his legislation in response to law enforcement concerns. A vote on his bill, which now authorizes warrantless access to Americans' e-mail, is scheduled for next week.

Leahy's rewritten bill would allow more than 22 agencies -- including the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Communications Commission -- to access Americans' e-mail, Google Docs files, Facebook wall posts, and Twitter direct messages without a search warrant. It also would give the FBI and Homeland Security more authority, in some circumstances, to gain full access to Internet accounts without notifying either the owner or a judge. (CNET obtained the revised draft from a source involved in the negotiations with Leahy.)..............................

http://news.yahoo.com/senate-bill-rewrite-lets-feds-read-your-e-mail-without-warrants-191930756.html

Comments

• Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea....

So it looks like ? gonna have to revert to using carrier pigeons and smoke signals to retain any sense
    of privacy.

SMH @ ? thinkin votin Democrat meant voting for the better of the two.

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    still dont think this will get approved but iono wouldnt be suprised if it did. smh at this even being a bill
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    and lol at this needing to get approved like they dont already do this ? .
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anyone think Obama will sign this terrible bill into law? I do.
  • kingblaze84
    edited November 2012
    Options

Yep..........America has been a police state for a hot minute now. I knew nothing would change from the Bush days starting a few years ago, how right I was
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They can already tap phones, look up text messages and follow whatever you do in the library so this is the next logical step. This ? is sad bruh....and of course Obeezy gonna sign it. He will be in his lame duck run, no punishment for his actions. This is where he will do damage if he intends to really do some. The NDAA will probably be passed too for the record.
  • Amotekun
    Options

Yep..........America has been a police state for a hot minute now. I knew nothing would change from the Bush days starting a few years ago, how right I was

police state is white terminology.

Blacks folks just refer to it as being Black in America.

All the ? that white people complain about, unfair treatment
    by police, housing foreclosure, rampant unemployment, abusive
    legislation...all of these things were Black issues that these white bread
    suburbanites couldn't give two ? about until surprise surprise ?
    start happening to them and its like but wait...what about my white
    privilege? What about it ::pepper sprayed and tazed::

So when white folks complain about unconstitutional this and police state
    that I hand them one of those big ass red dixie cups and say welcome
    to the party.

• waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options
    LOL all this voting for Obama ? is funny what not make u think that they haven't been doing this ? for years, half of yall ? talk that good ? but u use your bank card and debit card on a daily basis, use your cell phone everyday and yall crying about emails.
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    on my phone when i go to get apps it asks if I want to allow the application to create sockets,or to collect videos

or images from my phone.Those are the terms it asks for me to accept in order to get the apps.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Amotekun wrote: »

police state is white terminology.

Blacks folks just refer to it as being Black in America.

All the ? that white people complain about, unfair treatment
    by police, housing foreclosure, rampant unemployment, abusive
    legislation...all of these things were Black issues that these white bread
    suburbanites couldn't give two ? about until surprise surprise ?
    start happening to them and its like but wait...what about my white
    privilege? What about it ::pepper sprayed and tazed::

So when white folks complain about unconstitutional this and police state
    that I hand them one of those big ass red dixie cups and say welcome
    to the party.

Me being a Black man, I agree overall with you although some Whites do understand the unfairness of the criminal "justice" system. I know because I've met them. Sad it's still not enough to warrant change though, and neither is having a Black man being in the White House. Or a borderline sellout like Obama being in the White House I should say.
  • kingblaze84
    edited November 2012
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    LOL all this voting for Obama ? is funny what not make u think that they haven't been doing this ? for years, half of yall ? talk that good ? but u use your bank card and debit card on a daily basis, use your cell phone everyday and yall crying about emails.

Even if govt intrudes on cell phone records and knows what purchases we're making, does the govt have to intrude on our emails now WITHOUT A WARRANT? ? we might as well live in the Soviet Union now. If Obama signs this ? into law I will clown that ? ass ? till the cows come home.
  • Amotekun
    Options
    Doesn't use bank card prepaid celly post.

In a land of complete surveillance privacy is platinum
  • FrankOceanIsGay
    FrankOceanIsGay Members Posts: 402
    Options
    What u trying to hide in your email? Looking like a shaved ferret :((
  • jono
    Options
    For the record, the 4th Amendment is really tricky, especially in the way the Supreme Court has ruled over the years about what is and what isn't "private".

Its fairly safe to say anything you share with a 3rd party isn't "private" by the Supreme Court standards. So bank records and things like that can be searched (even though the bank will have to warn you if your information has been subpoenaed; and it excludes safety deposit boxes because most banks don't know what's in your safety deposit box), your telephone records, including text messages, your trash/refuse, and even your house in certain cases.

When discussing privacy rights. The Supreme Court is by far the worst, because they are the ? who allow certain things to take place. This stuff is wildly unconstitutional and the Supreme Court has upheld them. FBI/NSA warrantless wiretapping, GPS tracking of innocent people, NDAA, Patriot Act, FISA all that ? ...is more than likely unconstitutional as hell.

Its called "post 9/11 thinking" in a security/surveillance society.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/01/fbi-att-verizon-violated-wiretapping-laws/

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/10/30/us/supreme-court-hears-challenge-to-wiretaps-law.xml

http://m.washingtonpost.com/politics/decision2012/at-supreme-court-challengers-to-wiretap-law-say-its-secrecy-creates-a-catch-22/2012/10/29/95847f38-21dd-11e2-8448-81b1ce7d6978_story.html

• jono
    Options
    Of course the Supreme Court isn't "worse" than the people who wrote the laws, but Congress isn't a place for rationality and scholarly legal discussion, its a house of politics. The Supreme Court are supposed to be arbiters of the law, its not a political wing (....correction it wasn't meant to be).

While Congress often does things because "society" tells them to, or because they claim some higher authority/responsibility to do so, the Supreme Court is supposed to follow the law. They are the worst because they don't follow the law...and its their only damn job!
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2013∞ the book currently being written
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is just sad. It's nothing new or surprising, but my lack of faith in the American government/political system grows day by day. ? is depressing.
  • #2pencil
    #2pencil Members Posts: 4
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »

Even if govt intrudes on cell phone records and knows what purchases we're making, does the govt have to intrude on our emails now WITHOUT A WARRANT? ? we might as well live in the Soviet Union now. If Obama signs this ? into law I will clown that ? ass ? till the cows come home.

Thatll show him
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blak they cant lock you up for simpin.. you good fam