Options
2»

Comments

• irad4185
    irad4185 Members Posts: 105 ✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    irad4185 wrote: »
    -but there sure is a ? load of citizens using them against the state.
    maybe you, like most everyone weighing in on this topic, should try and define what an "assault rifle" is.

-Rifles similar to AR15's.
    -a weapon made for fighting in wars-
    and this is a completely meaningless statement that can either be applied to essentially ANY gun or NONE of the guns you think you're talking about.

but hell, you're responding to a guy who's telling you that gun rights help protect individual rights by saying "gun rights aren't helping protect the government from people."

- I'm all for gun rights and individual rights I just feel that there should be common sense regulations when it comes to civilian ownership of weapons that can easily be modified into machine guns.

• Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good discussion. I think that most of us can agree that gun possession and rights for civilians is reasonable in itself. The main point of contention is the extent of protection that should be afforded to these rights. And that's where it gets tricky.

But like others have pointed out, in an odd but true way, much of this is related to our police forces. And American criminality in general. In comparison to the rest of the Western "civilized" world, isn't America's violent crime rate shamelessly atrocious? The controversy over gun control/rights goes much deeper than just guns.

As with all things, I think that mass education about these issues would help the general public and the government come to reasonable solutions for this issue. Of course though, there will still be idiots on either extreme side that will be unsatisifed regardless. Hopefully, they'll get weeded out or eventually come to their senses.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    -Rifles similar to AR15's.
    and what exactly does "similar to an AR-15" mean? similar caliber? similar features? or, like most people who make up "assault weapon" lists, is it totally cosmetic?
    - I'm all for gun rights and individual rights I just feel that there should be common sense regulations-
    please don't try and lead into "i want common-sense regulations" with how much you're for gun rights. you're NOT "all for gun rights and individual rights" when you start telling me how i don't need whatever guns you've arbitrarily decided i shouldn't have.
    -when it comes to civilian ownership of weapons that can easily be modified into machine guns.
    somehow i suspect you're overstating both the prevalence of actual fully-automatic weapons in crime AND the ease with which the guns you're vaguely referring to are getting converted to machine guns.