Nominees for Independent Hip Hop Album of the Year…

RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
Drop them in this thread, my nominees are:

Apollo Brown and O.C: Trophies: This was the surprise collaboration of the year for me that unsurprisingly made the cut amongst the best hip hop to come out in 2012.

Oddisee: People Hear What They See: As a fan of his beats, more so than his rhymes, Odd made a landmark debut with PHWTS. Especially with my favourite Independent track of the year: You Know Who You Are (Acoustic).

Add on…

Comments

• stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    Blu & Exile - Give Me My Flowers While I Can Still Smell Them: This was re-released in 2012, i dont know if it was a original 2011 release though??. anyways this was a dope album!

Brother Ali & Jake One - Mourning in America & Dreaming in Colour: Politically charged as ever. Ali is one of the greatest alive. gotta be nominated.

Schoolboy Q - Habits & Contradictions: TDE! Blessed is THE ? !

theres a few more nominee's somewhere
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clear Soul Forces - Detroit Revolutions: Loved this album dropped in March been listening to this since then. Dope beats and rhymes, subject matter is good; a lot of video game references.

Apollo Brown + O.C. - Trophies: TBH this is hands down my favorite album of the year. It was great to hear one of my Fave emcee's still has it, a lot of ol' man knowledge was dropped with this one.

Oddisee - People Hear What They See: Oddisee should be up for 2 awards for this 1. Album of the year and Producer of the year. I am still astonished by the fact that 1 sample was used on this album and everything else was musically created. Would probably be my fave if not for the other 2 I listed.
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    Masta Ace & MF Doom - MA_DOOM: Son Of Yvonne: Masta Ace over Metal Fingerz Beats, Enough said...

I Self Devine - The Sound Of Low Class Amerika: Some bangers on this album, good old fashioned politics in hip hop.

Danny! - Payback: Some great tunes, loved the concept.

Apollo brown & O.C - Trophies: ? insane album. Probably gonna get my vote for Album of the year.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a LOT of dope releases this year, i think even from the underground they didnt get a lot of shine. Most of them have been named already tho.

My nomination for AOTY is Murs And 9th - The Final Adventure

I first heard of Murs when i was 14 i think, checked out his album with 9th Wonder cuz i knew who LB was. Loved that album. Anticipated every release from them after that, Murrays revenge was another classic to me. Sweet Lord came out, and it had some good stuff, but it didnt live up to that same vibe the first 2 albums had. Fornever came out and i felt like they were kind of falling off tbh. 9th's Beats were slacking to me, and Murs just didnt make me listen like he used to.

When they announced Final Adventure, i was of course going to check it out. Already knew i had very low standards for it tho. Album came out and i peeped, automatically i felt like i was that 13 year old kid peeping their music for the first time. Gave me the same vibes as the first 2 albums, Beats were different but still great, murs tells some good stories in this one like he did back when i was young. I probably only love this album so much because its the last one and its almost like i grew up with these guys following their careers, and its finally over and time to move on. Such a dope album i lost my train of thought, so AOTY murs and 9th.
  • underground AnR
    underground AnR Members Posts: 55
    the indy song of the year should be JUICY J and DANNY BROWN "? TEST" produced by A-TRAK. it's that super duper and aint nothing listed so far touching it.

? a ? test. juicy j / danny brown. ? . by a-trak
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    WAIT...yall gotta peep this before voting on your favorite lol....i havent heard anybody mention this album or song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STLqHO4JaJk
  • renagade410.
    album is by purpose and confidence and its called the purpose of confidence
  • RuffDraft

You stay sittin' on dope hip hop.

Reminds me of Saigon when he was first out, including the brap - haha, now he sounds deeply influenced by Sai.

Beat is nice as hell too. Going to get the album. Thanks for the drop!

Your album of the year?
  • underground AnR
    that hennessy for brkfst got some real ? on it..

indy as a mfkr and brand new. dope beats and a different flavor
  • renagade410.
    RuffDraft wrote: »

Reminds me of Saigon when he was first out, including the brap - haha, now he sounds deeply influenced by Sai.

Your album of the year?

lol i been outta the loop for awhile tho just so happend to go to ughh and check top albums for october and that was number one so i bought it. As far as my top album I probably wont know until near end of the month. Been WAAAAAY out of the mix.
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2012
    that hennessy for brkfst got some real ? on it..

indy as a mfkr and brand new. dope beats and a different flavor

I'll check this out if I get the chance to. Props.
    RuffDraft wrote: »

Your album of the year?

lol i been outta the loop for awhile tho just so happend to go to ughh and check top albums for october and that was number one so i bought it. As far as my top album I probably wont know until near end of the month. Been WAAAAAY out of the mix.

lol I definitely know that feeling, I need to check out UGHH myself. Favourite albums are in my sig though! Will have to see what other albums are mentioned at the end of the month in every one else's lists and go diggin'! Props on this one though, I'll check it at the weekend! :tu
  • underground AnR
    that hennessy for brkfst has stood the test of time so far.. still a really good record
  • vslyke
    vslyke Members Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    The only one I don't see mentioned was R.A.P. Music by Killer Mike. ? 's a classic