13»

Comments

• almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Menace II Society
    R.D. wrote: »
    lol what do you think was unrealistic about Menace

there was no balance in that film and too many cliches from the korean shopkeeper scene onwards basically...
    i mean i have still watched it 100 times but boyz n the hood is just the overall better film in terms of story,characters etc

cliches??? you must be speaking in hindsight. what cliches did Menace have that were displayed BEFORE menace was released
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Menace II Society
    korean shop keepers aren't cliche bruh, lol! There's always koreans in the hood selling everything from wigs, socks, cigs, lotto etc...
  • --vincenzo--
    --vincenzo-- Members Posts: 142
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Boyz N Da Hood
    R.D. wrote: »
    lol what do you think was unrealistic about Menace

there was no balance in that film and too many cliches from the korean shopkeeper scene onwards basically...
    i mean i have still watched it 100 times but boyz n the hood is just the overall better film in terms of story,characters etc

cliches??? you must be speaking in hindsight. what cliches did Menace have that were displayed BEFORE menace was released

you have a point with that one, ? got their whole style from that film...
  • Mr. 66Hundred
    Mr. 66Hundred Members Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Both movies changed the way I look at baseheads.... back in the day we used to run up on them and hit em in the head with bricks, male and female, but then I started to see that they really are just people with overwhelming addictions.... they should be pitied not sneak attacked
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Menace II Society
    Boyz In the hood was more cliched than Menace. The acting was just better so it seemed more realistic
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ Tre swinging in the air & crying after he was harrassed by that police
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Boyz in da Hood is better overall, IMO. Had actual realistic portrayals of blacks in the hood. Menace II Society made ? hate Black Power messages in music and romanticize ignorance of all kinds.
  • Mr. 66Hundred
    Mr. 66Hundred Members Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    Lol @ Tre swinging in the air & crying after he was harrassed by that police

That ? threw a ? fit smh

I was waitin for him to scream "I'm tired of everybody messing with me"
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Menace II Society
    Hurry up and buy >>>

I think Menace has had a stronger impact and more influence personally.

On another note, a few people have said that Boys N the Hood is better, but Menace is their favorite... how does that work exactly? If it was better wouldn't it be your favorite?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Menace II Society
    Cosign the sentiment that BntH was the better movie but MtS was more enjoyable. I guess it's just one of those things where when it comes to fiction, sometimes the more fantastic, the more entertaining. BntH really came off like a realistic documentary which was cool, but MtS kinda took all the elements that would make a hood movie entertaining and turned them up a level higher.

It's sort of like one rapper making hood songs that really are realistic accounts of what he sees and another rapper that tells hood stories that are a bit more embellished. You know the first rapper's music is probably more meaningful and important, but the second rapper's music just happens to be more entertaining.

That said, both movies were miles ahead of all the copycats that came afterwards. Talking about sparking a genre.
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Menace II Society
    Menace Wins 33 to 25