In Vain...

Options
alissowack
alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
Maybe it is just another wack post, but my entry to this thread is an attempt to express that maybe...we don't have a respect for life and things associated with it. I don't particularly mean that we don't know what it means to be respectful or we even don't know how to be respectful. But it is to say that we find ourselves taking on things about life and not thinking whether or not these things are worthy of respect. It is as if to say that life, and everything in it, is at our disposal; to be consumed and not dignified for what it serves. And before anybody thinks I'm making an argument in favor of religion...it's not. In fact, this kind of echoes a post I made somewhere about this.

The religious...I believe are guilty of this more than anybody else (and if you want to include me that's fine). There is just this sense that when it comes to ? , they feel entitled to call upon Him; that it is their right to do so; that they have somehow earned it. People can say they represent ? and say His Name a bunch of times and believe they are "correct" in doing so (forgive me for using "His" in referring to ? ). This is not to say that religion wouldn't be disliked, but I think religions would be a lot more tolerable if ? wasn't being used, abused and exhausted; that whenever a good sincere argument arises about something, a religious person is not throwing "? " in front of it and calling the argument settled. It's one thing to honestly say they don't have the answers and another to feel that they don't need to answer to anything because of any allegiances to ? (or for that matter answer for ? ).

When it comes to miracles, it could be a lot more accepting if the religious are not so quick to throw "? " in the mix. Now, I'm not suggesting that science necessarily takes it's place but it's to say that the religious can't assume they know what ? 's intentions are. I think about late night church programs that have people "healed" or "blessed" and they are praising ? . There is the case I think we religious folk bring up about a bunch of bad things happening resulting in good things in the end and I accept that. However, I think it is just as possible for a bunch a good things happening to result in bad things in the end. What if being healed of sickness or being blessed with wealth is opposite of what ? intends it for? Some people who come across wealth and success may be just as "Hellbound" as the one who has nothing at all. Hollywood is full of people who attain wealth and success and for some reason find themselves in ruin...and we look on them wondering why when they got what we wanted.

I like to think that this vainess is not just in religion however. I think it affects us all in some way. We may know the answers about some things, but it doesn't present itself as something that requires a submission to it...and in most cases rightfully so. But, there has to be a line drawn some where or everything will be done in vain.

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If everything is but the creation of the human mind, is not everything already in vain?
  • alissowack
    edited December 2012
    Options
    @irs. If what our minds create is in vain...then both of our posts are just a waist of time. We have, in effect, said nothing. But, we both want them to serve a purpose.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    I agree, both the posts are a waste of time and in effect have said nothing. The purpose? Might as have a little fun with the illusion.
  • alissowack
    Options
    @irs. But, wouldn't the purpose of entertaining the thought be in vain as well? That last part of that post was really to suggest that we do want things to have purpose and meaning. We want people to know we stand for something and that the foundations on which we stand will not crumble; that it will stand the test of time. My thing is...do we have any respect for the things we stand for?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    But, wouldn't the purpose of entertaining the thought be in vain as well?
    Mmhhmm yup.
    My thing is...do we have any respect for the things we stand for?
    I would give respect for the things I stand for, and I think others would have respect for things they stand for, which makes sense, I mean why would you stand for something you have no respect for. But I wonder why I would need others to respect what I respect. Their lack of respect doesn't affect my respect because I don't need their respect to respect something. We can respect the being without respecting the beings beliefs, ideas, thoughts, imaginings etc.
    We want people to know we stand for something and that the foundations on which we stand will not crumble; that it will stand the test of time.
    Why do people desire things to be so solid and unable to crumble?