Iphone users, what are you expecting from the Iphone 5?

1101112131416»

Comments

• rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rage wrote: »

How is not having the latest OS not a big deal? Don't you want offline turn by turn directions? Don't you want Project Butter and its fast and seamless transitions? Google Now? Even more important are functional upgrades like better battery life and under the hood performance improvements. This is such a ridiculous statement that having the newest operating system "isnt that big a deal"...we arent talking about small updates and patches...its a whole and complete upgrade to the OS. Also who says Samsung will even allow you to upgrade your phone? The GS2 which came out in May 2011 wont get Jelly Bean until MAYBE 2013...MAYBE. WTF? Meanwhile the Nexus S got its update to Jelly Bean in October...before the GS3. This again goes to the whole misconception of Android being "open"...its only really "open" if your on a google device. There is no guarantee that the GS3 will even get Key Lime Pie. This goes DOUBLE for Motorola who have locked their boot loaders.

Ok, first we've already established Google branded phones get OS updates faster than nonbranded phones. So, most of the argument up there is pointless. ....

If your cool with settling for older OS version than thats on you. I think its completely ridiculous that you can say there wasnt a big difference between GingerBread and Ice Cream Sandwich. ? is night and day different.

If the GS3 and GN perform similar and the extra hour of battery life is the only differentiator what makes the GS3 so special? Expandable memory?? A lacklustre camera?

Now we come to why Google >>> Samsung. Samsung is a manufacturer they dont have the "brain power" to design anything on the level of Apple or Google. Think of Google as the Architect and Samsung the Carpenter.

The GN didnt have a Samsung's Exynos chipset, it has Texas Instruments OMAP.
    The GN didnt have a Samsung sourced Mali GPU either, it has a PowerVR
    Screen the GN has a 316ppi screen, and Samsung has never been able to put out a screen that sharp...not with GS2 or GS3.

So the three MAIN components of the phone have nothing to do with Samsung. Google has also seen that expandable memory is pointless now and doesnt provide any benefit. With services like Google Drive, DropBox, SkyDrive etc expandable memory (? physical memory in its entirety) are done. This again shows the relationship Samsung has with Google (and to a large extent Apple)...they just put ? together for them. They have 0 say in the design and components of the products. They are just a carpenter to Google's architect.

RAZR Maxx HD has a much better battery than the Nexus 4 and pretty much every other phone out there, so if battery life is what matters most to you it's definitely a prime option. The DNA has a better screen and better audio than the Nexus 4. It is also noticeably faster. So clearly, the statement that Google phones are the best phones is pretty baseless. If vanilla Android and better Android support is the most important thing to you then you're absolutely right, you should go with Google branded phones. However, it's dumb to act like that's the only consideration when it comes to phones.

Your cherry picking here. Saying the MaxxHD has the better battery and the DNA has a better screen. Notice that neither of these phones have both of those features. Again this is Google's design philosophy coming through, they arent trying to have the BEST one feature, they are trying to make the best ALL ROUND phone.

nexus-4-droid-dna-note-2-razr-hd-650x553.jpeg

TouchWiz is horrible, yes you can root your phone and use Vanilla Android or a custom launcher....again the point is with the Nexus line, you dont have to bother with rooting. With the Nexus line you can open the box and have the pure unfettered experience Google intended OR if so inclined go after customization.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rage wrote: »
    If your cool with settling for older OS version than thats on you. I think its completely ridiculous that you can say there wasnt a big difference between GingerBread and Ice Cream Sandwich. ? is night and day different.

First of all, I never said that. I said, it's not as big a deal as you're making it. Like I said, Jellybean is a huge leave from Gingerbread which is what I've been using for the past year. I love the new things added to Jellybean, but even so, 90% of what I do with my phone now, I could do before. Hell, half the new stuff that comes in these upgrades can already be done with third party programs anyway.
    If the GS3 and GN perform similar and the extra hour of battery life is the only differentiator what makes the GS3 so special? Expandable memory?? A lacklustre camera?

Expandable memory is important for people who tend to keep a lot of media on their phones. Why do you think the iphone comes in multiple sizes. If 16 GB was good enough for everyone, then that's all that would ever be sold. And I fail to see how attacking the GS3 camera helps your point when it's still better than the GN camera. Also, when the GS3 came out, there were a ton of features that it had that the GN didn't e.g. S Beam. Admittedly, a package has been released for the GN that ports those features, so that's not a issue now, but it was when the GS3 first came out.
    Now we come to why Google >>> Samsung. Samsung is a manufacturer they dont have the "brain power" to design anything on the level of Apple or Google. Think of Google as the Architect and Samsung the Carpenter.

The GN didnt have a Samsung's Exynos chipset, it has Texas Instruments OMAP.
    The GN didnt have a Samsung sourced Mali GPU either, it has a PowerVR
    Screen the GN has a 316ppi screen, and Samsung has never been able to put out a screen that sharp...not with GS2 or GS3.

Ok what's your point? Samsung combined a bunch of third party elements together to make the phone. They still created the phone. As someone who evaluates technology like this as a profession, it's often harder to do that and make it work than to simply produce your own stuff and put it together. Again, that is a testament to Samsung's ability, not Google's. Even if Google set the specs, it was Samsung that filled them and made it work. So once again, your assertion that Google is greater than Samsung and use of the GN as proof is silly, comical even.
    So the three MAIN components of the phone have nothing to do with Samsung. Google has also seen that expandable memory is pointless now and doesnt provide any benefit. With services like Google Drive, DropBox, SkyDrive etc expandable memory (? physical memory in its entirety) are done. This again shows the relationship Samsung has with Google (and to a large extent Apple)...they just put ? together for them. They have 0 say in the design and components of the products. They are just a carpenter to Google's architect.

This is nonsense too. Expandable memory is pointless to people who don't use a lot of memory. Go to the Nexus 4 and DNA message boards and look up topics concerning them before they came out. The number 1 complaint for both was the lack of expandable memory. Considering most every major provider has either given up or will give up on unlimited data plans, cloud services are not viable alternatives to expandable memory. It's the reason why some people got the GS3 over the DNA and Nexus 4 despite them being superior phones.

Your cherry picking here. Saying the MaxxHD has the better battery and the DNA has a better screen. Notice that neither of these phones have both of those features. Again this is Google's design philosophy coming through, they arent trying to have the BEST one feature, they are trying to make the best ALL ROUND phone.

nexus-4-droid-dna-note-2-razr-hd-650x553.jpeg

TouchWiz is horrible, yes you can root your phone and use Vanilla Android or a custom launcher....again the point is with the Nexus line, you dont have to bother with rooting. With the Nexus line you can open the box and have the pure unfettered experience Google intended OR if so inclined go after customization.

I'm not cherry picking anything. I'm pointing out that all these phones have various strengths and weaknesses. Which phone you choose depends largely on what's most important to you. But even if we are going with best all around phone, I'd still say that the DNA is better than the Nexus 4. There really isn't anything the Nexus 4 does better than the DNA.

TouchWiz isn't nearly as horrible as you're making it seem. I'm thinking you're just a Samsung hater for some reason. Is it because you love Apple and so you hate Samsung since they are in a legal battle or something? My wife has the Note 2. I played around with TouchWiz. It's not my cup of tea, but it's not horrible either. And yes with the Nexus line you don't have to bother with rooting or launchers IF what you prefer is Vanilla Android, but as I've pointed out people get launchers and custom ROMs because they want to customize the phones to their own desires. Even if they got the Nexus 4, they would still use a launcher at the very least unless vanilla Android is what they want. And again, that's a plus I already acknowledged. But it's no different than people buying Samsung phones because they like TouchWiz or HTC because they like Sense or Motorola because they like Blur. There are people out there that do just that.
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rage

Are you going to answer my question?
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • The Lonious Monk
    I'm not Rage, but I would guess you should wait to see what kinda support the phone gets. The reason BB has fallen off is because it hasn't kept up with iOS and Android in its versatility of use. It's a great business phone, but not so good just for general usage. I know plenty of people with BBs, but very few of them use a BB for their personal phone. The BB10 could be a great phone, but it needs that support to be useful.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i got the iphone5 and its really not that much better than alot of the andriod phones, if at all. it all boils down to prefrences really
  • The Lonious Monk
    Yeah, as far as hardware goes, no matter what phone you get, it will be eclipsed technologically in a matter of months. That's unavoidable. Phone technology progresses faster than anything these days.

Between iphone and a comparable android phone, it's going to come down to which OS you like better. And that really boils to which you prefer: simplicity and stability (iphone) or versatility and customizability (android). I guess you can also support is much better with the iphone too, but honestly that's not as big a deal as people make it. For instance, you're going to find far more stereos that have ports to which your iphone can be connected. However, that's not that special when you consider a lot of stereos nowadays are bluetooth compatible meaning you can just as easily connect your Android phone too.