Who do ya'll consider the greatest "over-achiever'' in hiphop history?

Comments

• Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Lets throw in some producers, Nitti Beatz and Ron Brownz garbage ? .

Them ? had 6 months a piece of relevancy. Swizz Beats would be more appropriate. Though I like him, ? lasted a decade and a half off Casio beats.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lil Wayne, Didn't see it coming at all.

I think he mentioned tech nine cause he is a independent artist but still sold a total of 1 million records. I think he's the only one to do that
  • PK_TK_187
    PK_TK_187 Members Posts: 2,240
    Jay Z
    close thread
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlackAX410 wrote: »
    forgot to mention Snoop ? been spellin out his name in verses for ova 20 years lls

Nah, he was one of the best rappers when he first came out. If anything, he's an underachiever. Son went from ? to Doggfather, and it just got worse from there.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jigga what? Jigga who?
  • GaryDeano
    GaryDeano Members Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    My goal was to have one gold album and that was it

• georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanye West IMO. He started out as a dope producer and became a superstar. A lot of people thought little of his skill as a rapper, but he made it.

T.I.- listening to I'm Serious and Trap Muzik it didn't sound like he'd be as huge as he was with Paper Trail. He went from making huge street anthems to huge pop chart toppers that took him from the trap to doing Jay numbers. He's not limited as a rapper, he just wasn't in a situation that indicated he would be as huge as he became.

Lil' Wayne- from the 3rd most popular member of his group to being one of the most popular rappers in the game is something few could've forseen.

Rick Ross- from '06-'09, for a lot of people it didn't seem like Ross would remain relevant. Not only has he remained relevant, he went from a C-list trap rapper to being one of the most popular rappers period.

• T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets throw in some producers, Nitti Beatz and Ron Brownz garbage ? .

My cousin is signed under that ? label
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick Ross......not cause of his lyrical ability but everything else

Exposed as a former C.O.
    Went into a beef with 50 Cent and still came out shining
    \/
    Baby Mama sextape got made public
    Getting sued by the real Rick Ross

All of that would have knocked most ppl out the game yet he was ..

12th on Forbes Hip-Hop's top earners in 2012
    Inks lucrative Maybach Music deal with Warner Bros
    Up for best rap album in 2013 Grammys
    made 3 #1 albums
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    andre_1024 wrote: »
    I'm goin with Nelly...Wayne & Ja Rule are up there too..

and lol at being labeled an "ELITIST" because you want meaning and substance in music..? on here I swear lol..

and lol at being labeled an "ELITIST" because you want meaning and substance in music..? on here I swear lol..

I label ? elitist, because anything that doesn't fit in their ''little box'' of what hiphop is they call commercial, having no substance, etc. Who the ? is anyone to say what hiphop is or what substance is to the next man, just because you don't relate to it.

What is this "little box" you speak of when you speak of elitist (stupid ass term by the way).

You ever heard of the word VERSATILITY? I'm sure you have.

And to answer the question of this thread: Jay-Z no doubt.
  • LV_Don
    LV_Don Members Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    BlackAX410 wrote: »
    forgot to mention Snoop ? been spellin out his name in verses for ova 20 years lls

Nah, he was one of the best rappers when he first came out. If anything, he's an underachiever. Son went from ? to Doggfather, and it just got worse from there.

Snoop has had ghostwriters since ? .
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

I label ? elitist, because anything that doesn't fit in their ''little box'' of what hiphop is they call commercial, having no substance, etc. Who the ? is anyone to say what hiphop is or what substance is to the next man, just because you don't relate to it.

What is this "little box" you speak of when you speak of elitist (stupid ass term by the way).

If the production ain't on some Dilla, Premo, Pete Rock and the subject matter ain't on (? whitey, 5 percent, i'm in the streets) ? then it's whack to ya'll.

So when ? like Mos Def, Talib, Sean Price,etc does one thing (conscious, street) rap their whole career for the most part, they don't get knocked for not being versatile. Then when someone like Nelly, etc who make ''fun'' records do their thing, they get called one dimensional.

Most of those back pack ? ya'll stan are one dimensional as ? . How many premo-esque beats are they gonna rap on about (conscious, backpacker,etc) ? .
  • usmarin3
    LV_Don wrote: »
    three-6-mafia-frayser-boy.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/31/jay-z-the-great-gatsby-rapper-score-film-adaptation_n_2388948.html

Seems like Jay Z is in the process of getting one as well. I read somewhere that he's working on a soundtrack for the movie The Great Gatsby with songs he already did and some new songs we probably haven't heard.

If he gets one he will officially complete the EGOT, not too many people have those. All he is missing is the Oscar

Emmy
    Grammy
    Oscar
    Tony
  • Disciplined InSight
    edited January 2013

If the production ain't on some Dilla, Premo, Pete Rock and the subject matter ain't on (? whitey, 5 percent, i'm in the streets) ? then it's whack to ya'll.

So when ? like Mos Def, Talib, Sean Price,etc does one thing (conscious, street) rap their whole career for the most part, they don't get knocked for not being versatile. Then when someone like Nelly, etc who make ''fun'' records do their thing, they get called one dimensional.

Most of those back pack ? ya'll stan are one dimensional as ? . How many premo-esque beats are they gonna rap on about (conscious, backpacker,etc) ? .

^^^^Flawed logic.

Just because these artists/producers didn't go your idol/elohim Jay-Z route doesn't make them lesser artists.

You're acting like Dilla, Premier, Pete Rock didn't do any "commercial" joints..

You're acting like Mos Def, Talib, Sean Price never did any "commercial" joints. Take back Sean Price. He's been "one dimensional" all his career.

You ever heard of doing something by choice?
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50 Cent and Master P. And Birdman
  • usmarin3

^^^^Flawed logic.

Just because these artists/producers didn't go your idol/elohim Jay-Z route doesn't make them lesser artists.

You're acting like Dilla, Premier, Pete Rock didn't do any "commercial" joints..

You're acting like Mos Def, Talib, Sean Price never did any "commercial" joints. Take back Sean Price. He's been "one dimensional" all his career.

^^^^Flawed logic.

They did try to go that way, but they have no commercial appeal so it didn't cross over. Talib, Mos,etc have all tried to make commercial cross over songs before (Ms. Fat ? , Never Been in Love, Outstanding,etc).

No one is saying they're lesser artist, but ? need to stop being hypocrites. You can't ? on ? for doing ? you're favorite rapper does.

You know damn well what i mean by Dilla, Premo, PR,etc, that BOOM BAP underground sound, not their commercial stuff.

Nelly, Jay, Wayne, TI,etc all have done records that's touched on heavier stuff (Meet the Parents, Georgia Bush,Luven Me,etc).
  • Disciplined InSight
    edited January 2013

^^^^Flawed logic.

^^^^Flawed logic.

They did try to go that way, but they have no commercial appeal so it didn't cross over. Talib, Mos,etc have all tried to make commercial cross over songs before (Ms. Fat ? , Never Been in Love, Outstanding,etc).

No one is saying they're lesser artist, but ? need to stop being hypocrites. You can't ? on ? for doing ? you're favorite rapper does.

You know damn well what i mean by Dilla, Premo, PR,etc, that BOOM BAP underground sound, not their commercial stuff.

Nelly, Jay, Wayne, TI,etc all have done records that's touched on heavier stuff (Meet the Parents, Georgia Bush,Luven Me,etc).

The BOOM BAP is Hip Hop and always have been. The "other ? " ADDED to the BOOM BAP is commecial. Get over it.
    What's the main anchor/element that gives these artists "commercial appeal"?

*waits for it, waits for it*
  • usmarin3

^^^^Flawed logic.

^^^^Flawed logic.

The BOOM BAP is Hip Hop and always have been. The "other ? " ADDED to the BOOM BAP is commecial. Get over it.

and commercial raps has always been a part of the culture. Rappers Delight is commercial, Basketball is commercial, Freaks come out at night is commercial, My Adidas is commercial,etc.

What gives artist commercial appeal? What makes someone a star, it's that certain ''it'' factor that you can't quantify that separates people like Pac, Jay, Biggie from the ? like Mos, AZ, Talib,etc. Certain people just posses a star quality that shines brighter than others.

• Disciplined InSight

^^^^Flawed logic.

^^^^Flawed logic.

and commercial raps has always been a part of the culture. Rappers Delight is commercial, Basketball is commercial, Freaks come out at night is commercial, My Adidas is commercial,etc.

What gives artist commercial appeal? What makes someone a star, it's that certain ''it'' factor that you can't quantify that separates people like Pac, Jay, Biggie from the ? like Mos, AZ, Talib,etc. Certain people just posses a star quality that shines brighter than others.

You said:

"and commercial raps has always been a part of the culture. Rappers Delight is commercial, Basketball is commercial, Freaks come out at night is commercial, My Adidas is commercial,etc. "

I was waiting for it but you didn't say it. But you're partially right...and wrong.

Once again: what determines "star quality"? Or should I say who determines "star quality"?

Why didn't these artists receive any accolades for these "commercial" hits, even though those artists back then didn't give a ? about any accolades? Why wasn't it well received nationally and not just on the radios in the hoods of Ghettoville, U.S.A?

*waits for it again*
  • usmarin3

^^^^Flawed logic.

^^^^Flawed logic.

You said:

"and commercial raps has always been a part of the culture. Rappers Delight is commercial, Basketball is commercial, Freaks come out at night is commercial, My Adidas is commercial,etc. "

I was waiting for it but you didn't say it. But you're partially right...and wrong.

Once again: what determines "star quality"? Or should I say who determines "star quality"?

Why didn't these artists receive any accolades for these "commercial" hits, even though those artists back then didn't give a ? about any accolades? Why wasn't it well received nationally and not just on the radios in the hoods of Ghettoville, U.S.A?

*waits for it again*

LOL at what determines star quality, come on dude, don't play dumb. You know people like Michael Jackson, Prince, etc have that certain quality or thing that makes them transcend their genre.

Who determines star quality, the people and the artist talent.

Those artist from the 80s didn't recieve accolades because the genre was just starting up and the mainstream media/music community thought rap was a fad back then. LOL at the artist back then didn't give a ? about accolades, then why did they sign to major labels then, why not just make raps for their ? then. If you sign to a record label, that means you want as much people as possible to hear your music.

There is a reason why songs like Rappers delight crossed over first out of all the rap song. It was commercial and fun record. There was a reason why Kurtis Blow was the first rapper to get a a major deal, because he made good commercial records.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Drake ... in terms of who he was

Nelly in terms of overall skill, imo.

Wayne it terms of trasnformation from point a to b imo he both overachieved then underachieved.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's Jay-Z, you stan. No pro-black rapper will ever get the 9-figure income cause fans hate something that challenges them.